Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Custom Frames & CEN regs
  • avdave2

I assume that if I want a custom frame built then a frame-builder can build me a frame without reference to the current regs, as long as they are happy that it’s fit for purpose. I ask because I’ve got it in my head that I’d like a custom built frame next year for my 50th. I’m not totally convinced by TI’s longevity and would quite like a nice lightweight fillet brazed steel frame. I’d probably be thinking of something that’s going to be rigid and it’s all wheels on the ground xc mincing and I’m under 9 stone so I don’t want a bike built to survive a thrashing at the hands of a 15 stone gnar merchant that’s going to be far heavier and stiffer than I need.

The next question is who to look to for getting it built. I’m in Brighton so Enigma would seem one obvious choice or Chickens whose a former Enigma builder but I’d be interested to hear of other reasonably local options.

And then of course the problem of choosing a wheel size that’s going to be supported for the next 25 years.:-)

Any thoughts, including it’s a stupid idea don’t do it, welcome
    Thanks

Candodavid
    Free Member

Go to Bespoked at the weekend, there are so many frame builders around nowadays, just be sure on what you really want.
    My Curtis was built to my exact spec, it’s a joy to ride too. Not cheap though.
    I weigh in about 10.4 stone soaking wet, built up the bike weighs under 20lb with the summer tyres on.

chiefgrooveguru

CEN is only for production frames.

tang
    Free Member

Ted James who will be at bespoked test welds for Reynolds and those frames have passed CEN.

avdave2

Go to Bespoked at the weekend

Just as I posted I saw the thread on Bespoked – sounds like a good idea.

mick_r

Go to bespoked 🙂

Allow plenty of time. Talk to everyone. Take a camera and get pics of things you like. Look closely for detail stuff as there are some really tidy little ideas hidden in there.

Also try and talk to Keith on the Reynolds stand – they should be able to advise on a tube set for a particular application.

The fatigue test loads are set around a heavy rider, so something that passes might be overbuilt for a rider of your weight.

But the stiffness you want from a frame also plays a part in the choice of tube sizes etc. Fancy materials (853 etc) don’t make it stiffer but allow a tube of reduced wall thickness so you can have a bigger diameter (stiffer) tube with no weight penalty.

There has been talk of some subsidised fatigue tests – more to validate the quality of particular builder’s construction methods (so using a tubeset and fork length that “should” pass the test if built properly).

In reality, the only really scary fatigue failure would be fracture of the head / down tube junction or fracture of a rigid fork. So think about the design in that area. Maybe choose someone that has made lots of forks, or a production fork that has been tested.

The only fillet brazed head tube detachment I’ve seen was a very short 29er one, where there was overlap of the top and down tubes. It appeared to have been brazed in one go (rather than brazing the “whole” tube on first, then adding the overlapping one). So it left a portion in the middle that was not brazed at all and hence acted as crack initiation point hidden inside the joint. The rider ended up with major face damage and was in ICU for a bit…. So think about top and down tubes with a bit of daylight between them where they join the HT 🙂 I work in a fatigue lab (not bike related) and often the devil is in the detail.

18 bikes used to have some fatigue test info on their site. And I seem to remember Cotic wrote a few good discussion articles.

18BikesMatt
    Free Member

We have put frames through CEN test, even though we don’t have to, to show we are working to at least the same standard everyone else has to. Just because we don’t legally have to test frames, it doesn’t mean we shouldn’t.

Testing helps us have a baseline for what is suitable for ‘Mr Average’ that we can tweak for each customer. It also confirms that our build process and construction techniques are sound. We actually broke the steerer off a Revelation so I’m pretty happy with how we build our frames.

Do as suggested and come to Bespoked and chat to everyone, I will be on our stand all weekend and I’m happy to discuss the pros and cons of testing (and wheelsizes!)

If you can’t make it to the show or don’t get time to chat to me, drop me an email to matt@18bikes.co.uk with any questions you have.

Matt

1-shed
    Free Member

I don’t want to appear rude but under 9 stone how?

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Chas Roberts, Croydon, builds made-to-measure

1-shed
    Free Member

Sorry none of my business.

ctk
    Free Member

What about a road bike frame?

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

May I suggest Tom at Demon Frameworks He’s down on the south coast in Southampton, builds beautiful frames and is one of the nicest people you’ll ever meet.

avdave2

I don’t want to appear rude but under 9 stone how?

a diet of loads of carbs. It’s not my fault I’m “small boned” 🙂

Chas Roberts, Croydon, builds made-to-measure

Made me a White Spider back in 1988 – I still have the frame but it’s a little rusty now.

What about a road bike frame?

I’ve miles of bridleways starting at my door and an off road commute so this is a bike I could use every day. To get to nice roads takes a while from where I am and I’ve a CdeF for pootling along country roads which I’m more than happy with.

Mick and Matt thanks for your detailed input, I’ve got a good idea of what I want but as you say best to talk it through with people who actually produce these things day in day out and have already built anything I might want.

wwaswas

I’ve you’re in the Brighton area pop into http://www.prestige-cycles.co.uk/ in George St, Hove. They’re doing custom frames under the Mustard banner.

They can order you a Baum if you’ve got deep pockets too 😉

[edit] I *believe* that Mark Reilly (of Engima) may have started his own frame building co again – Nerve Cycles – have a look at his twitter history – https://twitter.com/markowenreilly – he’s in Brighton/Hove too.

avdave2

Thanks all, tickets for Bespoked booked for Saturday 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Custom Frames & CEN regs’ is closed to new replies.