Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Curtis 853 talk me out of it .
  • oldfart

As usual lately time on my hands allows too much thinking.2 weeks ago it was singlespeeding the Hummer.Earlier on this week it was switching Inbred back from commute mode to off road mode .
    Now the latest more long term wheeze ie this time next year .Fingers crossed Whistler for next summer and acquire a new Zesty.Then on my return sell Kona Four Supreme and Hummer frame !!!!!Then go see the boys up the road and get a Curtis 853 frame made to the same dimensions as the Hummer .But i end up with the same number of bikes and will i be any better off ?Any thoughts out there ?I must add as i said at the beginning these wild imagings might not come to anything .(Apart from Whistler and the Zesty )Fancy that eh somebody on here just TALKING about bikes instead of getting out and riding .Whatever next !!!!

Vortexracing

get one bought!

A custom freeride is on the top of my 'want' list.

oh and piccies when built please.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If you get a Curtis I shall have to kill you. Because I want a Curtis. Badly. MEMEMEMEMEEEEE!!!!

oldfart

have you seen the price 853 isn't just the frame material in fact it's more than that ffs !

oldfart

Oooh ooh just looked at the freeride .Might be better and it's cheaper ONLY £749 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Christ on a bike !

oldfart

Reckon it would look nice in that Howies blue though ! 8)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I'm wondering if I can suggest getting one made for my 40th next year, see. And then getting some Royce hubs for it as well. MmmmmmmmCurtis MmmmmmmRoyce. Dribble.

Rex
    Free Member

do it, both of you, you know it is only a matter of time! they look like fantastic frames. festooned with royce, middleburn, and hope…UK all the way!

geetee1972
    Free Member

Some friends of mine have matching his and hers Curtis Racelite 26s made from T45 steel. They are lovely bikes and I can quite understand the lure.

What I don't get is why would you want to give up a Ti Cove Hummer in favour of an inferior grade material hardtail, especially as you're suggesting that you want to spend a lot of money getting the curtis built to Hummer geometry? By all accounts (haven't ridden a Hummer but would love to try) the Hummer is one of the seminal Ti aggro hardtails. If the only difference is going to be the name on the downtube and the material from which it's made, what are you going to get from owning the Curtis that you can't get from the Hummer?

soma_rich
    Free Member

Their very friendly at Curtis been and had a chat a couple of times. Just think, no more chainsuck. You get everything just teh way YOU want it.

and that lovely Howies blue hmmmm.

DO IT!

PP are you really 39!!!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ti Cove Hummer in favour of an inferior grade material hardtail

Who says it's inferior? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, surely? 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

with royce, middleburn, and hope…UK all the way!

STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT!!!!

StirlingCrispin

When an off-the-shelf 853 frame costs £500 these days a Curtis is fantastic value for money.

Am I helping here?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

PP are you really 39!!!

No, it's just a ruse to try and get the frame earlier.

😉

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

If your thinking full custom then talk to Tom. His Bikes are a just little bit special. The dirt frames one of the nicest things ive ever ridden.

Demon Frameworks

geetee1972
    Free Member

Ti Cove Hummer in favour of an inferior grade material hardtail

Who says it's inferior? Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, surely?

I agree, you make a fair point. I think, from a strictly empirical/objective perspective, Ti has a lot of advantages over even 853 but then buying mountain bikes is rarely (if ever) empirical or objective and I can quite see why some people would want 853 over Ti.

Bumhands
    Free Member

Curtis bikes are a dirty habit, one is never enough:

My favorite thing about them is their frame renewal service – I'm always thinking
    about what colour to go for next.

corroded
    Free Member

A Curtis 853 frame is top my want need list. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Vortexracing

loveeerrrllllyyyyyy

Digby

Can't recommend Curtis Bikes enough – I've got an XC130 (now known as XC LT) and it's a smashing bike – great fun to ride! … I want another …

Buy one – you know it makes sense. They aren't cheap but I do think they are good value for money (even more so when you consider the XC & FR have free frame repair for life!)

GlennG
    Free Member

Got a Curtis FR, had it built Sept 06, still going strong, build quality is very good as is paint. Thinking about ordering another in Jan, slightly smaller than the current 18" version (prob 17") and will defo change the head angle from 71 deg to 69 deg.

Has got Pikes on now shorter stem and proper pedals, great bike for blating around on. Be prepared for a bit of a wait if Gary is busy, mine took 16+ weeks, worth waiting for though.

Bumhands, what head angle did you have on your original FR (raw version) and whats the angle on the new black one (if you dont mind me asking

GlennG
    Free Member

Oldfart, Thats exactly what I did, I had a 05 Hummer and transfered all the dims, etc. over to the Curtis (without the chainsuck problems). DO IT.

Bumhands
    Free Member

Hi GlennG

Both the head angles are 71' which works for me, good for up and down.
    I also had it built around a 130mm fork.

G

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

71 degrees is really steep for an FR bike. It sounds shit. There you go, dont buy one

Bumhands
    Free Member

On a bike that gets ridden on street everyday it makes sense.
    If it was purely for pointing down hill I'd agree.

To be fair I would have had it built around the XC frame but I wanted
    the stronger tubes because I like to jump and ride off stuff.

Its all XC anyway.

18bikes

naah, if you want some REAL custom options and a company who are testing to CEN standards – wait for our framebuilding launch come the new year 😉

Candodavid
    Free Member

853 SS Custom Curtis…….loving it

sssimon
    Free Member

go for it

custom 853 with paragon sliders

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

that is my favourite curtis (the white one)

love my solitude though 🙂 about to spend some (more) money on it…

andylaightscat
    Free Member

what you having done HM?

qwerty
    Free Member

talk me out of it

Curtis is an evil man, for every frame he builds be sacrifices a cute cuddly kitten 😉

saladdodger
    Free Member

DO NOT DO IT

you naughty naughty boy

there told you 😉

Clink

that is my favourite curtis (the white one)

I'd have to say the photo doesn't do it justice; it looks even better in real life!

Shame they won't do a 29er.

Candodavid
    Free Member

[Curtis is an evil man, for every frame he builds be sacrifices a cute cuddly kitten]

**** it…I hate cats anyway, Gary must build more fantastic frames

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Its rides real nice too, at least, as far as I can tell with the wrong cleats!

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Curtis 853 talk me out of it .’ is closed to new replies.