• This topic has 20 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by lunge.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Curry recipes – mild but tasty?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Do they exist?

I like a fairly hot curry but other members of the household will only eat a korma, which I don’t like

sic_nick

Dopiaza?

aP
    Free Member

Coronation Chicken?

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Chicken tikka badami

monkfish
    Free Member

I like the beef massaman curry on the bbc good food website

Here

Klunk
    Free Member

just about any, reduce the amount of chilli you put in

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Beef rendang. Lovely.

Hobster
    Free Member

Made this veg korma the other week and was pleasantly surprised

http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/easyrecipe-print/33744-0/

Missed out a few of the ingredients (chana dal, kalpasi and cashews)

Also if you can get dried kashmiri and take the seeds out they have plenty of flavour but less heat.

cheers_drive

+1 for Rendang.
    Passanda is good too

Bazz

My recipe (adapted from a River cottage recipe)

First make a curry paste by blending the following in a food processor:

1 onion
    4 cloves of garlic
    thumb sized piece of fresh ginger
    1 chilli (optional)
    1 tsp dried tumeric
    1 tsp garam massala
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp ground coriander seeds

the last 2 are best if you use whole seeds and lightly toast them in a dry frying pan before grinding in pestle and mortar.

then in a blender blend a tin of chopped tomatoes and a tin of coconut milk into a “smoothie”.

In a large pan add a couple of tablespoons of oil and fry off the curry paste for a couple of minutes before adding 3-4 diced chicken breasts (large chunks) and continue to fry off for a couple of minutes. Then add enough of the smoothie mixture to cover all the chicken and bring to a simmer. leave to simmer until the sauce reduces and thickens. Remove from the heat and stir through a handful of chopped fresh coriander.

mogrim

Made a lamb dhansak yesterday, nice and not too hot. Slightly sweet which will probably make it more appealing to kids.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/lamb_dhansak_79850

johndoh
    Free Member

We do this one at home – it has chutney, cream and Greek yoghurt in it so it is sweet and creamy.

I do, however, load mine with chillies but by altering the spice and upping the cream/yoghurt you will get a really nice family-friendly dish.

Sweet and Sour Balti Chicken

stealthcat

I was going to suggest the lamb dhansak above – about to see whether the MIL can cope with it, but we’re calling it spiced lamb, not curry…

chambord
    Free Member

Murgh Makhanwala

HTH

z1ppy

I like to cook, but have never got curry right. IME you can’t go too wrong with Aldi’s “Specially Selected Curry Sauces” (I prefer the Rogan & Dopiaza versions), which are really quite nice, & no heat at all unless you add it.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

This saag gosht (lamb and spinach) is epic. Very tasty and authentic. Leave out the chilli for your requirements. I have the same book ’50 Curries’ and so tested this out a number of times and it gets normally polite ppl licking their plates clean

lambchop
    Free Member

Good call on the Saag gosht recipe. Cooked it yesterday and it was lovely.

righog
    Free Member

I like to cook, but have never got curry right. IME you can’t go too wrong with Aldi’s “Specially Selected Curry Sauces” (I prefer the Rogan & Dopiaza versions), which are really quite nice, & no heat at all unless you add it.

Aldi’s are fine but this one is a step up, they are very good. I prefer to make from scratch but not always got the time for that, but one thing I do with the kits is throw in some extra spices, dried chillis ground etc right at the end of cooking this always gives them a lot more flavour.

Pigface
    Free Member

I made the beef massaman curry this weekend, very tast but not hot at all. Will add a few more chillis next time.

lunge

One pan rogan josh.
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/9643/onepan-rogan-josh
    Use a milder curry paste instead of madras if you want less heat, I’ve had some success with balti paste.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Curry recipes – mild but tasty?’ is closed to new replies.