• This topic has 56 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by CHB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • curry..
  • bigbob38
    Free Member

Promised the OH a curry tomorrow but skint 😯

so… what supermarket curry is the best???

Corrected – it’s the cider that makes me promise things and type things I can’t possibly do or understand 😉

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

What’s an OT?

Anyway google a recipe and make it yourself!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Occupational therapist.

Use Patak’s paste, paste not sauce

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    highclimber
    Free Member

asda. had one tonight and it never fails me though the cellophane on the tray is a major PITA

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Supermarket curry????

😯

(Is horrified, disgusted and offended all at the same time)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Oh yeah, that’s right Edit your mistake now. Make me look an idiot.

Yeah, use a paste or some supermarkets do curry spice packs that will save you spending out on loads of diff spices but give you exactly what you need to make that particular curry.

samuri
    Free Member

ASDA curries are pretty good I find, and cheap.
    Get the curry and cook some rice, buy some bell peppers, chop them up into big pieces and fry them hot in a dry pan till they’re charred, throw ’em on top of the curry. delicious!

z1ppy

We had a curry last week, made by a friend whose home cooking is superb. After the meal whilst we complimented her (as always) she revealed the sauce was from Aldi, she happily admitted even she couldn’t make one that was better. You may scoff, and it itll be your loss, I’ll be visiting Aldi for some soon

Home made curries using a sauce from a jar can be ok with plenty of added ingredients, but packaged supermarket curries always = shit in a plastic box.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Erm…coff…M&S Rogan Josh is great for what it is. Team it with chunks of chicken tikka and you’ll be laughing. It ain’t a curry house curry, but if you’re skint, it’s not bad.

samuri
    Free Member

Yeah. I have to add. We have a monthly curry at the local proper posh curry house. It’s superb. Very expensive, very high quality, very nice.

But I’m still happy with a chomp chomp raw curry from ASDA with some cooked veg thrown in and proper rice. You can tell the difference but it’s still great.

bigbob38
    Free Member

Asda seems to be winning the curry wars here – thanks!

The southern yeti – sorry, not intentional!

Kevevs
    Free Member

bloody asda. I can’t get one day off without mention of bloody asda!
    Tesco are doing microwave chicken kormas half price atm. £1.60 or something each. get that, add a bit o cream, do a samuri with the peppers and onions to tweak, jazz up your cheap rice with black pepper, spring onions and egg and soy sauce. Nice cheap meal!

grim168
    Free Member

We like asda curries too. Just don’t expect to find any left after 4pm on a saturday. You’d think they’d know by now and get more in. 🙁

Haze

Asda’s madras is nice – not quite takeaway/restaurant strength if that’s your thing, but still pretty good.

Do your own rice though…

yunki
    Free Member

I’m a fan of the tesco microwave curries for one (my OH can’t stand curry of any description)..

Tinners

The best £3.65 you’ll ever spend if you want to make the nearest thing to a takeaway curry for less wonga than the supermarket dross:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Curry-Secret-Indian-Restaurant-Meals/dp/0716021919/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1290255945&sr=1-1
    (bit of a faff to make it though and best done in batches that are frozen and used at a later date)
    If it absolutely has to be a supermarket curry, though, I’d go with Asda too.

Hohum
    Free Member

Asda curries are pretty good, the ones you buy at the deli counter, and are very good value as well.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Agreed – the Asda ones are very good. The madras one is very high in fats though – get the vindaloo as it is surprisingly low fat. And it is very good – had worse restaurant curries.

And my wife is away tonight so getting the kids to bed, switching on COD, having a beer and having one of those ^^^ 🙂

(and got it yesterday afternoon before they sold out)

Kuco

I must be the only one who didn’t like the Asda curry, had a balti and it was horrible unless I had a duff one. I like the Pataks Meena jars.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Some are better than others (I like the madras, vindi and rogan josh). My wife had the balti and said it wasn’t too good.

Kuco

Next time i’m their i’ll try one of the others might give the rogan josh a try.

King-ocelot
    Free Member

+1 on Aldi curry, gorgeous. Add some decent chicken though Aldi meat is nasty. I found Asda curry a bit dry but overall tasty. Again you can’t beat a curry house but as a penny saving alternative Aldi can’t be beaten. Yummy curry tonight now you mention it!!!!!!

King-ocelot
    Free Member

Sainsburys deli counter curry is naff, it tastes like it’s been out on the counter for ages which I expect it has.

Hohum
    Free Member

I agree that the Asda vindaloo is a good one, I also liked their chicken jalfreizi, yummy!

jonb
    Free Member

http://www.anjumanand.co.uk/books-new-indian-food-recipes/indian-food-made-easy/

Although, it’s a bit late to be getting the recipe book ordered.

Supermarlets now also do spice kits so you can do a proper curry if you just buy the rest of the ingredients.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Supermarket curry????

(Is horrified, disgusted and offended all at the same time)

ah but you haven’t had a supermarket curry from the Bradford area…

Mumtaz sell their authentic curry-house curries through many local Morrisons, Asda & Co-op supermarkets in this area. They started as a curry house near Bradford university, expanded a few times & then went into producing ready meals for the local stores. Now By Appointment too, HM popped in for a takeout last time she was in town

starsh78
    Free Member

Chicken Tikka Masala

• 1 fresh red chilli, deseeded
    • 1 clove of garlic, peeled
    • 15g fresh ginger
    • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    • a pinch of paprika
    • ½ tablespoon garam masala
    • a teaspoon of tomato puree
    • 3 sprigs of fresh coriander, leaves picked and chopped, stalks reserved
    • 400g chicken breast, diced into 2.5cm pieces
    • 1 small onion, peeled and sliced
    • 1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced
    • 1 green pepper, deseeded and sliced
    • a pinch of ground cinnamon
    • a pinch of ground coriander
    • a pinch of turmeric
    • 1 x 400g tin plum tomatoes
    • 100ml plain yoghurt
    • 100ml double cream

the marinade will need to be prepared the day before so the chicken can marinate overnight

For the marinade
    Blitz the chilli, garlic, ginger and vegetable oil a food processor. Add the paprika, garam masala and tomato puree, plus the coriander stalks, and blitz again to form a paste. Place the chicken pieces in a large bowl, coat them with the marinade and leave in the fridge overnight.

The next day…
    In a little vegetable oil, on a medium heat, fry the onion, peppers and spices in a large saucepan. Cook gently for 10 minutes then add the tin of tomatoes and the yoghurt. Add the chicken pieces and simmer gently for 15 to 20 minutes until cooked. Just before serving, stir through the double cream and chopped coriander leaves.

Great on rice, Amazing on Chips 😉

BigJohn

The only supermarket curry paste I don’t hate is green thai curry paste. Tesco do a good one.

I usually do a sweet potato & cauliflower curry with that paste plus cocnut milk, but it is also a good base with non-thai ingredients.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

We don’t mind the Tesco curry in a bag meals, not restaurant standard but easy to prepare & tasty.

CHB

Sainsburys curries are rubbish.
    M&S ones are suprisingly good value.
    We never expect much from a home cooked curry, just a jar and a couple of chicken breasts.
    If we want proper curry then Bradford Kashmir beckons!

CHB

oh… and before you ask. It has to be meat veg buhna.
    Even the owner reckons its the best they do.
    Thoght the meat karahi comes close!

sunchaser
    Free Member

ASDA Jalfrezi = cheap & good. On the other hand a Pataks Paste with some veg & meat of your choice (if that’s your thing) with a can on toms. You can’t really go wrong.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Some of the Asda ones are on offer at the moment too – £2. Add the rice and a large bottle of Cobra and the whole lot will only be around £5.

Sorted.

Woody
    Free Member

I would also recommend the Lidl ones, Kan Pur Garden (or something like that) either in the ready meal or the paste/sauce in a jar. Absolutely superb and stopped me messing around with spices as it wasn’t worth the hassle.

Hohum
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion – Member
    Some of the Asda ones are on offer at the moment too – £2. Add the rice and a large bottle of Cobra and the whole lot will only be around £5.

Sorted.

£2!

That is excellent value.

How was your curry tonight? A meal for one fills me right up.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Not had it yet – just put the twins to bed and now tidying up the mess from their tea (my wife is away with the girlfriends tonight – the first time I have had them all day/night/next day since they were born 18 months ago – so doing it all and it is chaos).

It will be all the more worth it when I finally sit down to eat it whilst watching Harry Hill on Sky+

🙂

bigbob38
    Free Member

Got asda chicken dupiaza, chicken bhuna, pilau rice, and keema naan all to be washed down with lashings of 3 for £10 wine 😀

Going in the microwave now so will let you all know….

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Well unless you drink all the 3 for £10 wines then you might not…

Hohum
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion – Member
    Not had it yet – just put the twins to bed and now tidying up the mess from their tea (my wife is away with the girlfriends tonight – the first time I have had them all day/night/next day since they were born 18 months ago – so doing it all and it is chaos).

Well I guess you have earned you curry then.

Mind you, there is still a long time go before your wife comes back isn’t there…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘curry..’ is closed to new replies.