Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Current Swinley Forest conditions?
  • cinnamon_girl

So … is it safe for me to pootle over there? Full body armour required? How trashed are the trails from this weekend?

Thank you so much 🙂

AndyRT
    Free Member

If winchester is anything to go by, Ice Ice baby…sorry couldn't resist

cinnamon_girl

Whereabouts in Winchester were you riding then?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    AndyRT
    Free Member

Shawford and down to cheesefoot. Very Icy.

cinnamon_girl

That's chalk for you! Good riding around Cheesefoot, I used to live near there and would quite happily move back.

AndyRT
    Free Member

I am still pushing to get West Woods (Farley Mount) turned into a CTC designed trail centre. I'll post more once we get movement from FC in March. 2 years in the running right now…would give you a good excuse to visit.

cinnamon_girl

Andy – was it you that posted on here about Farley Mount a while back? That again is chalk isn't it?

I never need an excuse to visit mid-Hampshire! Candover Valley for me today.

AndyRT
    Free Member

Yes it probably was me. Long slog getting FC to play ball 🙁

I only did a short ride due to hangover and christmas duties…

cinnamon_girl

Loads of potential there I would have thought but it seems to be popular with dog walkers and families.

AndyRT
    Free Member

live and let bark is my general policy

theotherjonv

it's OK. The groomed trails are very ridable, a bit of compacted snow / ice on some of the corners to keep it interesting but otherwise fine.

Some of the recent Crowthorne Gorrick trails are a bit harder going but nothing that would prevent you enjoying them

cinnamon_girl

Thank you jon! I will take my MTFU attitude with me, probably the ss as well.

theotherjonv

that's what I had out for a couple of hours on sat afternoon. Bit harder going than normal (maybe an extra 15lbs of clothes as well 😉 ) but hey – it's riding and who cares.

petetheplumber
    Free Member

"Some of the recent Crowthorne Gorrick trails are a bit harder going but nothing that would prevent you enjoying them"

The corkscrew is now 90% repaired, the rest is frozen tree roots nice….. Just stay on your seat.

theotherjonv

yeah, I bottled teh corkscrew after a couple of tree root slips earlier on. Despite being mid afternoon there weren't many about and didn't fancy a slip and a crash when it was -2 out.

petetheplumber
    Free Member

Very quirt today i was at the corkscrew from 11am to 2.30pm did'nt see more than ten riders, 6 of them slipped on roots.

Notter
    Free Member

Was out for a couple if hours this afternoon and it was stunning, snow on the majority of trails with a couple of muddy bits. The place looked like a winter wonderland and the riding was good 🙂

Notter
    Free Member

Ps I did the corkscrew and didn't slip! Quite treacherous though!

Reluctant
    Free Member

Hello Pete! 😀
    I did a dawn raid on sunday morning kinda 8-10 and it was lovely!
    All trails are far more ridable now than they were a week or two when it was very wet. As long as the temp stays low, it'll be good. Get in there now before the thaw and the next quagmire!

Straightliner

Had a cracking couple of hours over there yesterday lunchtime, trails running pretty firm and grippy,although as JonV says a couple of the recent Gorrick ones are a bit squishy in places.

Pete, think I came past you on the Corkscrew – looks like you were doing a great job there improving drainage, cheers for doing that.

auricgoldfinger

Rode yesterday too, it was all good. Very ridable in fact – corkscrew was in good shape, as was the labyrinth. Also looking very picturesque up there – worth it for that really.

DT78
    Free Member

Went walking in Swinley yesterday with the missus (part of my master plan to get her into biking….) was stunning to walk around and pretty solid underfoot. Not many bikers out. I would have loved to have been on the bike.

Squirrel

Hi CG.

Rode there for a couple of hours this morning – 9yds, reservoir, Bagshot Heath, seagull, Crowthorne and back to Lookout. 25K. All fast(ish) and frozen: a blast! BUT, it started raining (quite hard) just as I got back to the Lookout. Now it seems to be snowing again. So, in answer to your question, I've no idea! 😕

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for all the updates!

Hi Squirrel. There's been a lot of snow this afternoon/evening so sure it will look very pretty!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Current Swinley Forest conditions?’ is closed to new replies.