Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Current State of York – Any one been in last day or so?
  • Blackflag
    Free Member

Hi,

Partners family live in York and we are due to visit for New Year, this usually involves a tour of the fine old pubs in the centre and ringing in the new year at the Minster. Is this still doable? I assume wellies would be needed if it is? Or is it now totally shut down / closed off??

Id ask the in-laws but they are a bit insane 🙂

Cheers

project
    Free Member

according to local york newspapers, telephone exchange flooded so a lot of phones, and broadband out, also cash machines and pos tills, have a look on the bbc.co.uk/york website

metcalt

You should be ok, most of the roads are open now. A few pubs close to the river (Kings Arms etc.) are still closed and I think a few on Fossgate are closed whilst they repair the damage. All the ones in the centre up near the Minster are fine.

I’m looking at the Ouse out of the office window at the moment and it’s come down significantly. I’d advise you to keep an eye on the news/twitter/faceache though as we’re due a visit from Frank soon apparently.

metcalt

Good point from project there, some shops are having intermittent issues with card machines so make sure you have cash with you.

Blackflag
    Free Member

Great news cheers. Will empty cash machine at this end before we go.

Nice one 🙂

ross980
    Free Member

I’ve just come back from a run into town. Roads next to the Foss that were under water 2 days ago are totally clear. There’s loads of utility company vans about (full fleet of Openreach vans on Huntington Road) so I assume they’re still trying to get everything back working.

project
    Free Member

also remember to park on a hill and not in an underground car park.

Blackflag
    Free Member

^^ Ha ha.

Sandwich

You may laugh but we lost some e-bikes when the Danube flooded a couple of years ago. They were in an underground car park at the hotel which filled to the ceiling.

Mr_Mojo
    Free Member

I live in York. 98% of the city centre is totally accessible by foot and was during the worst of the recent floods. There are several car parks on the outskirts or the park and ride open.

TBH the media hyped up the whole flooding thing, there was a few streets that were flooded for a couple of days that normally aren’t but the majority of the flooded areas always flood so nothing really new. Pre 1980’s this was just a normal winter occurrence.

sierrakilo
    Free Member

Shouldn’t the Duke be there helping ?

He should get off his lazy fat a** and be there helping instead of swanning around the world “earning” Airmiles

badnewz
    Free Member

TBH the media hyped up the whole flooding thing,

Same thing happened when I lived in Oxford a few years back. The tv presenters were trying to get as close to the river as possible, I thought one might fall in (no such luck).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Current State of York – Any one been in last day or so?’ is closed to new replies.