Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Current Sora group set?
  • scotroutes

Anyone able to provide some feedback on the 2017 Sora stuff from Shimano? It’s the shifters and mech I’m interested in. Specialized have them on some if the 2018 Diverge range and they’re not bringing the Tiagra model into the UK this time.

simondbarnes

They work very nicely

billyboy
    Free Member

And you can plug in a 12-36 9spd cassette and Alivio mech and massively lower your lowest gear…. You can’t do that on 10 or 11 speed set ups

pedroball
    Free Member

2011 Sora on one bike and 2017 Ultegra on the 2nd – I find the Sora absolutely fine

amedias
    Free Member

2011 Sora

^ Not the same thing at all

The current Sora stuff (3000) is pretty good IME, all the ergonomic plus points of the current hood shape and underbar routing, in a nice robust 9 speed package.

I’d go so far as to say it’s probably the best* workhorse dropbar groupset Shimano have come out with so far. Part of me still prefers the washing lines for ease of cable maintenance but the current underbar routing is pretty reliable if you change inner cables annually, and it’s much easier to use bar bags with!

It’s kind of annoying they’ve gone to asymmetric BCD on the cranks which rules out a lot of aftermarket chainring options but if you’re mainly interested in shifters and mechs that’s not a bother.

They don’t seem any less reliable than the 11sp (or Tiagra 4700 10sp) shifters on which they’re based, and the mechs are as robust as they’ve ever been and will do 32/34t with ease and depending on your frame dropout often happy with 36t. It doesn’t suffer any fo the funny compatibility issues of the 4700 Tiagra stuff either which is a bonus, you can still throw any old 8/9/10 speed road mech or 8/9 speed MTB mech into the mix and it’ll work.

It’s not as crisp as the 11 speed stuff but then it’s never going to be and the shifting action itself is the same and feels pretty similar.

*Now Claris has gone to the same shifter type that’s a decent option for 8speed cheapness too but I’ve not been as impressed with the longevity of Claris mechs.

steezysix
    Free Member

How crisp is the shifting on the new stuff? I’ve got 2013 Sora with the 90° cable exit, which does make using a bar bag a bit of a pain so the under tape routing of the new ones appeals! I’ve also found when upshifting that the lever hits the bag, unless it’s packed small. Wondering if the new ones have less “throw” than the old stuff? My buddy with 105 has no issues with a similar sized bag so hopefully the new Sora internals are better?

amedias
    Free Member

They’ve reduced the throw slightly , but not hugely. I’d put in the ‘improvements’ category rather than a reason to swap if that makes sense. And on the rear shifter you’ll still have to swing the lever a long way for multiple cogs in one go.

Obviously it depends not only on the size of your bag but also the width of your bars, you’ll get a lot more interference on 38 or 40cm bars than you will on 44cm…

steezysix
    Free Member

Good to know, thanks! I’ve got 44cm flared bars (cowbells) so it’s not a major issue, just have to avoid over packing the front roll. It’s more the new cable routing that would make life easier.

andysmiff1
    Free Member

My wife is running the “old” Sora Triple group set on her road/gravel bike.

I’ve just put the “new” sora shifters (under bar routing etc) on it and I’m impressed with them.

I picked them up for no other reason as to have the under bar cable routing……

A

rents
    Free Member

I have Claris 8 speed sti’s on my tourer/commuter. Absolutely faultless over the last three years. The anodising has worn off the levers but that’s it. Paired with an old xtr mtb mech the shift is super crisp. And as 8 speed stuff is so cheap it’s perfect for everyday high mileage.

amedias
    Free Member

I have Claris 8 speed sti’s on my tourer/commuter. Absolutely faultless over the last three years.

I hate to be the one who keeps pointing stuff like this out but…that means they’re not the current version.

it feels like I’m being a pedantic twit to keep pointing it out but when people come on and ask for info about a product, it’s not much use getting answers about a completely different old version instead.

The shifters have been completely replaced/redesigned, its good to know your old ones have been reliable, but that’s no indication that the new ones will be (although IME they are!).

RustySpanner

billyboy – Member
    And you can plug in a 12-36 9spd cassette and Alivio mech and massively lower your lowest gear….

This is how my wife’s bike is specced.
    Could be a bit lower at the front for steep loaded stuff but for 95% of the time it’s fine.

Smoother and more accurate than 10 speed Tiagra but it’s all a bit plasticy.
    Still not sure what the levers are made of?
    Hoods are fine.

Really pleasant to use, could almost do with a bit more feel, not at all ‘clicky’.

Front triple works well but the mech seems to have quite a narrow sweet spot to avoid rub.
    Trims fine.

Seems to be lasting really well and has survived a couple of topples.

Not keen on the chainset.
    Ugly, feels a bit tacky and overgeared.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Current Sora group set?’ is closed to new replies.