Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Current shape Ford Focus hatch , anyone got one – bike in the boot ok?
  • Kryton57

Rear seats folded, 29er, large, wheels or front wheel off? Anyone got experience?

nickwatson
    Free Member

Yep, front wheel off, Stanton Sherpa fits fine.

tenfoot

My brother’s large Trance with 650b wheels fits in his Focus ok, with the front wheel off (the trance not the focus).

steveoath
    Free Member

700c cx bike gets in mine wheels off no probs.

RustyMac

had my road bike in mine with the back seats down and just the front wheel off. Boot is surprisingly small for the size of the car.

chestrockwell

Got my large 5 29 in mine no problem.

prawny

I’ve got one, it’s tiny inside (imho) I I like it but I wouldn’t have another, too small for a family of 4 and paraphernalia. I’d have thought you’d get a bike in the back with at least one wheel off, but it’s not ideal, and the whole boot is trimmed do you’ll be gettin the seat backs filthy dirty. We had an i30 before and that was much bigger inside, we’ll be going Korean again next time more than likely, unless I can convince the wife a vivaro crew van would be small enough for the shopping run.

stuc
    Free Member

62 reg plate – not sure if that’s the latest shape but medium mtb 650b and 29 with front wheel off. Fork axle kind of rests on the flipped up bench seat. Road/cx easy with front wheel off or just slightly awkward with front wheel on.

IdleJon

I had one as a hire car last weekend.

No idea about whether the bike will fit but I wasn’t overly impressed with the rest of it. Far too many buttons on the dash and fascia. The dashboard reflected off the windscreen terribly, and the inbuilt heater in the windscreen ‘flared’ when driving towards the sun. 6 gears to fill the same range of speed as 5 – what’s the point, just more gear stirring! The top of the steering wheel obscured dials, the seat was too high with no obvious adjustment.

Worst of all, it consistently lied to me about fuel consumption, claiming over 45mpg when it was actually doing under 40, which is significantly less than my 11 year old 2 litre diesel people carrier. What’s the point of an eco engine if it isn’t?

And I smacked my head on the top of the door opening every time I got in. 😆

MoreCashThanDash

Medium road bike fits in a Fabia with wheels on, so I should hope so!

Kryton57

Thanks all. It’s between a new ST and an 09 320d Touring with all the toys. Same monthly payments.

Comments on that welcome. 🙂

Goldigger
    Free Member

How much is a new ST? My neighbour has a ST, nice car and quick.
    If you want a quick car and a huge boot and your looking at 30 grand.. New civic type r might be worth a look
    I’ve got a normal civic I put two mountain bikes in upside down on the bars and seat..both wheels off, with my sons car seat still in.
    The only difference with the civic type r is that you don’t get what are called magic seats.
    The seat base lifts up like a cinema seat..

Goldigger
    Free Member

Just looked at ST list prices, £22,500-£27,300..civic type r considerable more expensive..

Rubber_Buccaneer

Better go with the 320d, I don’t think the Focus will go with your sunglasses 8)

cokie

I can fit a Medium Whyte T129 29er with the front wheel off in my Fiesta 3 door ’08 with no issue. I can also slot in the Stooge 29er on top with the front wheel off. I’ve also had a 54cm road bike in with both wheels on. I can only assume/hope that the Focus is larger inside!

jimjam
    Free Member

Kryton, (dunno if it’s possible) but the C-Max has far more interior space, better load access and considerably bigger boot. It doesn’t look much more spacious from the outside but it’s a lot more roomy. Still looking 🙄

vinnyeh

It’s between a new ST and an 09 320d Touring with all the toys.

What were your criteria?

I’m struggling to see anything at all in common between the two, other than both being car shaped and having the same monthly repayments.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Annnnd the quest continues !!

320d touring IMO

😆

Kryton57

What were your criteria?

£160 a month via PCP, can carry a bike, be relatively economical, would be a nice place for me to be on the motorway (for work), has some creature comforts, cost is stable.

TBH I was all set on the Beemer, until Mrs K pointed out that at the end of the PCP it could be a 9yo Beemer vs a 3yo other Focus to purchase at not much of a difference in the final purchase payment (if a purchase was appropriate). Also the focus would have zero maintenance ‘cept tyres over that period, no MOT either. FWIW I am negotiating the ST TDCI estate into my budget if possible.

This is funded via a work car allowance which has a loose rule of the car being 5yo or less, but realistically is based on how shabby the car looks in the car park. 😀

We want the GFV purchase option as I might not be working in this employer at the end of the 3 years.

I_Ache
    Free Member

The Focus ST isn’t particularly comfortable unless you are properly skinny and have no muscles in your legs. The recaro seats are quite narrow. The build quality is distractingly rattly on horrible concrete motorways.

The Focus Estate is a decent size car, bigger than our old (current shape) cmax, and much much nicer to drive. The Focus hatch has a tiny boot, smaller in litres than the current BMW 1 series.

In my old MK2 focus hatch I could easily get in 2 bikes and a weeks worth of gear. I could even stand up my old medium Pitch in the boot with the back seats up. But the book on the Mk2 is a lot bigger than the Mk3.

ransos
    Free Member

I had one as a hire car last weekend.

No idea about whether the bike will fit but I wasn’t overly impressed with the rest of it. Far too many buttons on the dash and fascia. The dashboard reflected off the windscreen terribly, and the inbuilt heater in the windscreen ‘flared’ when driving towards the sun. 6 gears to fill the same range of speed as 5 – what’s the point, just more gear stirring! The top of the steering wheel obscured dials, the seat was too high with no obvious adjustment.

I had a hire Focus a while back. I found it very comfortable, easy to drive and got 60 mpg without trying too hard. I agree that the dash is a bit button-heavy though.

Yak

320d touring by a country mile out of those 2. You can fit a 29er in with the wheels on.

prawny

I’d go with the Focus Estate out of them two, new vs 6 years old is a big concern for me and my need for cost stability. The Hatch is livable (and the thule roofbars go on and off in seconds) even though the dash is very reflective and there are a lot of buttons, which to be fair, other than aesthetically, isn’t really a bad thing when you’re driving that fact that one button does one this is a positive IMO.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Current shape Ford Focus hatch , anyone got one – bike in the boot ok?’ is closed to new replies.