Viewing 17 posts - 121 through 137 (of 137 total)
  • Current poll : What puts you off mountain biking more in winter the most?
  • bowglie

Normally nothing, but after a recent shoulder wrecking crash, it’s fear of slipping off on some ice on ‘proper’ trails and ungritted roads. Although that hasn’t put me off completely, as I just find some ice/snow free off-road trails deep in the woods – and then pootle around at Granny pace.

kayla1
    Free Member

Mud and the cleaning thereafter, especially if it’s pittling down when I get home. I’ve enjoyed the last few rides though because it’s been cold enough to freeze the mud solid 😆 How I long to turf down a dry, dusty, warm trail…

tomwat
    Free Member

Mud. Don’t mind getting it on me or cleaning the bike but all the good bits round here seem to be covered in at least a couple of inches of sticky mud and you just grind to a halt when you hit it, then have to stop every 5 minutes to clean out the forks.

Murray

Having a cold and coughing a lung full of phlegm when I go out into the cold air.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

The cleaning.

I’ll ride Thursday night with the gang whatever but Tuesday (my day off) and Sunday there’s just so much more I could do with the hour or more I’d spend cleaning the bike and kit. So unless we’ve had a reasonable dry spell I’ll ride road or run, or ride somewhere with my running kit and a lock.

avdave2

The faff of getting in and out of muddy clothing at each end of my commute. I’m not worried about the bike, it’s rigid with hub gears and just gets the occasional wipe of the chain and more oil added to it. Yesterday though I actually struggled to keep going on the way home even though it’s mostly downhill, the mud was so bad. From changing into riding clothes at work to getting out of them at home and clearing the mess left in the porch took an hour. Today I walked to work, though not off road and that also took an hour. The walks also a good recovery aid to the 3 mile run I do when I get up in the morning.

timidwheeler
    Free Member

Mud. Mud. Mud.

We went for a walk at the weekend. The clay was so thick and heavy, that even attempting to walk through it was hard, miserable work.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Deep puddles piss me off as well.

molgrips
    Free Member

Those of you complaining about spending an hour cleaning your bike – you are doing it so wrong!

ultimateweevil
    Free Member

It’s the cleaning for me, but then living in a flat and having the spare room as my bike store tend to put me off the majority of the time. Plus I’d rather be snowboarding in the proper winter rather than trudging about in snow with the bike 😀

mtbel
    Free Member

Nothing. I ride just as much all winter. love riding in mud, ice and snow.

cleaning the bike takes 5mins including re-lubing the chain.

thegiantbiker
    Free Member

University exams and studying for them. After tomorrow I’m free though, and I will be getting filthy and stupid hilarious crashes going too fast into wet corners and it’ll be great. Getting grit under my safety glasses and right into my contact lens always sucks though. But everything else is bearable.

Pedalling against all the mud makes me stronger and cornering in it makes my balance and reactions better so I can go faster in summer. In theory. I’ll probably just fall off a lot.

Goldigger
    Free Member

There’s a Lack of scantily clad women running when it’s raining and cold outside..that’s enough to kill my enthusiasm.

TheBrick
    Free Member

munrobiker – Member
    Mud. Thick, claggy, speed sapping mud. It is fine in the Peak where it is just wet grit but riding in slop in the woods is rubbish. However, if your trails get mudy like that then they can’t be that good. The best trails are wall to wall rocks.

+1 If you’re local area is gloopy mud and even riding downhill involves pushing through the ud it is no fun.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’m sure it’s been said above, but just to add my thoughts on the obvious omissions from the poll options:

– The mud

…and hence…

– The cleaning

No such thing as a “quick” ride when it’s muddy, but I do tend to use the single speed for quick evening blasts so not as bothered about keeping it clean.

binners

People actually bother cleaning their bikes? In winter?

Madness!! 😯

andytherocketeer

Only the mechs, cos the mud dries in to a brick in them and stops them moving.
    Let the mud dry. Attack the mechs with an old toothbrush and a Dyson. Stick some lube on the chain, then go ride it again.

Viewing 17 posts - 121 through 137 (of 137 total)

The topic ‘Current poll : What puts you off mountain biking more in winter the most?’ is closed to new replies.