Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Current multitool de jour?
  • DickBarton

That OneUp tool looks good, but how do you tighten your aheadset as there is no room for a star-fangled nut with the tool installed.

slowster
    Free Member

You don’t need to remove it, just slide it back towards the body of the tool.

Depends which version you have. The current version does require the 8mm tip to be removed.

I agree with you completely about looking after the tool (same as for any tools for that matter). If one of my multi-tools had completely rusted up, I would be asking myself what I was doing wrong first before blaming the tool.

As for the plastic tyre levers on the Hexus, I took one look at them when I got the tool and simply decided to continue to take a separate set of tyre levers in my kit. The other multi tools mentioned don’t even have tyre levers, so the fact that the ones on the Hexus are probably rubbish is neither here nor there.

DickBarton

It got to the point where I was scared to ride my bike incase I had a mechanical and I had to use the Hexus.

Bit dramatic…why not buy a new tool if you knew that was was so bad?

iggs
    Free Member

With the one up EDC the headset/stem adjustment is done with a cassette tool in the workshop or the tool included on multi tool itself for that purpose. (I’ve included the OneUp installation video in the post I linked too. All the info I have from the first release is in there)

Looks like a good solution on paper, I just hope the installation and real world operation live up to the promise.

As this thread highlights there are plenty of rubbish tools out there.

Yak

Yes, I looked at the video. You cut a thread into the inside of your alu steerer and then a cassette lockring type bolt preloads the headset. Very neat.

Merak

I still have one of these, with the pouch! Had it over 20 years!

cdoc
    Free Member

A friend ‘borrowed’ my cooltool about ten years ago…
    Might go and search his shed this afternoon!

daern
    Free Member

Another vote for the Topeak Mini 20 – I can’t think what else it lacks, apart from a pair of pliers, perhaps, but for the size of a small box of matches, it’s tough to beat.

This is my back-pocket kitbag now for mountain biking (USB stick for scale):

…which when opened out looks like this:

This gives me:
    [list]
    [*]multi-tool, chain link remover etc.[/*]
    [*]Pump (CO2 + head – I carry different types depending on the bike[/*]
    [*]Puncture repair kit – patches, glue (I like the TipTop kits and the boxes are ace for carrying small bits)[/*]
    [*]Chain power-links – 10 and 11 speed[/*]
    [*]Spare brake pads[/*]
    [/list]

All of that in those two small pouches which fit neatly in my back pocket with a spare tube. Not let me down yet…

DickBarton

Another daft question about the OneUp…what do the people who buy kit to then sell on after a couple of months? (I’m not one of them)
    Also, what do you do with trailside adjustments on the headset? (few and far between but still need done at times)

Merak

Also, Pedro’s tyre levers. The best bar none, a must have imo.

iggs
    Free Member

Another daft question about the OneUp…what do the people who buy kit to then sell on after a couple of months? (I’m not one of them)

I have no idea, why would you?

But if I sold one of the bikes it was fitted to if I wanted to keep it I could just wack a star nut in and go back to normal

Also, what do you do with trailside adjustments on the headset? (few and far between but still need done at times)

The mini tool in the system has a tool for adjusting the tensioning cap so trail side adjustments should be fine

This I think

DickBarton

Ok, ta…it looks a great idea but I’m just checking all the daft bases are covered.

oink1
    Free Member

Merak – Member
    I still have one of these, with the pouch! Had it over 20 years!

Check! 🙂 Came with a mag subscription I think & never used in anger!

yoshimi

One thing I heard he other day and got me thinking – I’ve got a Crank Bros 17…does the chain tool work with 11 sp chains?

benp1

CB17 here too for my MTBs (along with a Leatherman mini tool and a leatherman S4 at the moment, used to be a leatherman wave)

I have a Knog one for my commuter, and a park one for my brompton, but don’t carry a chain tool on either of those

Unlike mountain bike standards, multitools haven’t really changed or improved in the last few years, so what was good 5 years ago is probably still pretty good now

Northwind

Hexus 2 for me- I did explode one a while back but it was old and I was trying to undo a really stuck bolt so fair enough. The levers are shite but that’s no loss, because who uses multitool levers anyway?

I did nearly buy a ratchet rocket to replace that one but it seemed like more stuff to go wrong.

zbonty

I’ve never gone for the jumbo all in one McGuiver do everything jobbies, just stuff that works-a decent mini allen key set + take a Park chain tool and a couple of tyre levers.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/topeak-mini-6-long-tool/rp-prod74901?gs=1&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Chain+Reaction-UK-PLA-PLA-All-DT-SE-Shopping+QLB+Manufacturer+Desktop&utm_medium=base&utm_content=m

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve got a Crank Bros 19 and 17, longest lasting bike things I’ve ever had.

whatgoesup

+1 for a minimalist allen key set and a small chain tool –

For a standalone chain tool this is great – 77g according to CRC plus you can lose a bit and make it easier to pack by ditching the “bar” – either on purpose or just lose it like I did – then use a suitable allen key to turn the chain tool.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/park-tool-mini-brute-chain-tool-ct-5/rp-prod7843

Annoyingly I have both one of those Park chain tools and a topeak mini-6 in the garage somewhere…. but will probably just buy a second SV-10 for the commuter bike.

warpcow
    Free Member

Another happy CB m17 user here. My first must be about 10yrs old, plenty of use but still going strong. I’ve had lezyne and pro ones for other bikes but have ended up replacing them with another, shinier, m17.

slowster
    Free Member

My favourite tool combination on a fast road bike (albeit with a not so fast rider) is this:

Scott mini tool: 1mm, 2mm, 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 6mm and 8mm hex keys, T25, flat and phillips screwdrivers, with magnetic holders at both ends (one inline and the other at 90 degrees)

Finish Line Chain Pup

Total weight – 59g

Cowman

I really like the Crank Brothers Y16 tool. Its a bit heavier and bulkier than most, but solid.

Find when I am working as a group leader a stronger tool tends to be needed one some bikes that are not quite as well maintained.

The chain tool is as others have said is brilliant.

Crank Brothers Y16

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Current multitool de jour?’ is closed to new replies.