Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Current consensus on Easyjet strictness re a few extra's in bike box or bag?
  • kaiser
    Free Member

am i likely to get any grief from having panniers attached with spares /tools etc ..all will be sealed in a carboard bike box. Suspect it should be OK as not taking the piss with the entire insides crammed . Your thoughts and experiences please. Thanks
    Bill

Onzadog
    Free Member

Typically, it’s the airport who receive your bike rather than easyjet. So long as it can be lifted easily under their manual handling 32kg limit, you should be okay.

Just flown EJ from Gatwick for the third time. In the bike bag was full face, two pairs of shoes, pads, and toolkit stuffed in the bottom under layers of bubble wrap. No quizzing by staff of the contents.

As above, handled by Menzies Aviation staff, 32 Kg is the absolute limit they’re really concerned about.

Fat-boy-fat

As above, as long as it is not too obvious and weighs less than 32 kg, you should be fine. I’d detach the panniers and put them “inside” your frame though.

footflaps

Just come back (via EJ) from Portugal with two bike boxes, they didn’t ask nor look at what was in them. They were weighed on the way out (Southend) and they just asked the weight on the way back (Faro).

We always stuff the boxes with extra stuff and have never had a problem in 10 years of flying with bikes.

We had a track pump, shoes, helmets, food, tools, spares, etc in the boxes and some random bits for the inlaws’ villa (door mat, coat hangers, job lot of sun tan lotion).

Onzadog
    Free Member

To avoid them checking too closely, don’t put co2 cartridges in there.

Last time we did, someone from the ej desk had to come and sign for them being in there.

bruneep

Small non flammable gas cylinders, containing carbon dioxide or other suitable gas in Division 2.2. Up two (2) small cylinders fitted into a life jacket, and up to two (2) spare cartridges per person, not more than four (4) cylinders up to 50 ml water capacity for other devices.

Co2 should be ok

Onzadog
    Free Member

Yes, they’re okay, it wasn’t a problem, but when the chap running the x-ray machine spotted them, someone from easyjet had to sign off on them. First time I’ve had that happen.

We know the rules which is why there are two in each bike bag and two in each holdall.

footflaps

Co2 should be ok

Very hit and miss. Been called back once (in Italy) after passing through security etc to have to remove them. They passed initial X-ray at outsize luggage but then got flagged later on. In another Italian airport they spotted them but said they were allowed for bikes. Same goes for WD-40/ GT-85, normally OK, but had one can of GT-85 confiscated.

I’ve yet to find any two airports (even in the same country) which apply the same rules…

Onzadog
    Free Member

Yep, lost a can of GT85 from my tool selection in the bottom of my case.

Ironically, I’ve I’d put it in my wash bag and said it was deodorant or shaving foam, I would have been fine.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Current consensus on Easyjet strictness re a few extra's in bike box or bag?’ is closed to new replies.