Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Current best 650b crop of tyres?
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

I’m out of touch with the tyre de jour, especially in 650b flavour as I’ve never had to buy any before.

For general 26″ trail riding I was previously recommended and therefore riding Conti rubber/trail(?) queen in chilli compound flavour, and Schwalbe Nobby Nics in pace star (I think) flavour.

I never got around to trying Maxxis Minions as I think I recall that they seemed a bit DH and therefore draggy for my purposes.

What’s the current most preferred sticky formula tyres that you lot swear by in 27.5? Don’t think I can go over 2.3″, maybe 2.4″.
    I run tubeless if it means anything.

BoardinBob

Big fan of WTB stuff these days. Running a mix of Vigilante, Trail Boss and Wolverine

jonnyrockymountain

I’m bontrager team issue versions XR4,3,2,1 and mud X suit all different terrains easily to set up tubeless light, tough and reasonably priced

slimjim78
    Free Member

Have enjoyed MudX in the past, good to know they still impress.

So no love for Conti/Maxxis/Sssshwalba?

lawman91

Just swapped from Schwalbe to Maxxis. Long time Schwalbe fan but I didn’t really get on with their latest 650b tyres, felt pretty harsh and quite plasticky. Gone to High roller 2/ardent combo and it’s awesome, loads of grip, fast rolling, supple casings, just great really.

kimbers

Shorty front vigilante rear at the moment
    Maybe in some fantasy utopia of dry mud free trails I’ll stick on an Onza Ibex and an ardent on the rear

chiefgrooveguru

I don’t think the 27.5 Trail King is quite as good as the 26 – the side knobs are a bit smaller and further apart. Still a good tyre though. I’m really impressed with the Minion DHR2 3C Exo – very grippy in most conditions and rolls pretty fast considering.

alexxx
    Free Member

Specialized butchers coming from a life long maxxis then schwalbe fan.. and they are cheap!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What ever you used in 26? You don’t really say what for but nearly everything I’ve seen in 26 comes in 650

PJM1974
    Free Member

I’ve been a colossal tart when it comes to tyres for as long as I can remember…well, as long as Panaracer Fires were a thing round my way.

For the last couple of years however, my default is Butcher / Purgatory for all seasons, preferably with the Grid carcass as I run tubeless. Both my full suss bikes (29er and 27.5) are thus fitted.

rhayter

Maxxis HRII. Superb tyre. I was gob-smacked when I first rode with one on the front. Griptastic!

DickBarton

Currently on an On-One Chunk Monkey on front and Smorgasbord on rear. Front is very good but rear isn’t as good as it is in 26″ guise – not as grippy.

I hate spending cash on tyres so tend to get them on offer. I’m about to put a pair of Conti Mountain King II on…they got an ok review.

mactheknife

Again as said earlier it really depends on what you liked on 26″ and what they will be used for.

My go to tyres were Minion DHR2 on 3c front and dual on the rear.

For this winter i have had on a shorty front ( amazing, amazing, amazing ) and Trail king rear.
    Just put a slash in the sidewall of the trailking so the WTB trailboss i had sitting on the shelf will be going out back now.

As soon as the weather improves ill swap out the shorty for the Minion DHR2.

whitestone
    Free Member

Bonty XR1-4 for me, bigger number = more grip, smaller number = better rolling

slimjim78
    Free Member

Awesome tips. Thanks guys. Have never tried Maxxis so may well be worth a go, but lots of others to also consider now.

My riding is mostly South Downs/North Downs with an occasional flurry at Swinley and and Afan. I like to corner at warp speed so über grip upfront required

yorkycsl
    Free Member

Vigilantes front & rear for general trail centre stuff though I remove the rear for a rock razor as soon as it’s dry enough, for rocky terrain its a Mavic Charge on the front, UST strong side walls for Lakes Rocks & with a Gravity Rock Razor rear, I had that set up on the Ard Rock & no issues at all.
    I’ve just bought a magic mary for the front to try out as I’ve heard good things about them.

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

My new steed came with Schwalbe Magic Mary up front & a Nobby Nic Mk2 out back.

It feels real nice.

DickBarton

I had some Bontrager something-4 on a 26″ bike…were good.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

For that riding, Maxxis Minion DHF front and Minion SS rear. Ridiculous cornering grip and still pretty quick. If you start doing more steep stuff then the Minion DHR2 or 2.4 HR2 will give you a touch more braking grip for slightly slower rolling speeds.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Winter

Front Conti Baron Projekt 2.4 – Rear Butcher Grid

Summer

Front Butcher Grid or DHF 2.3 3c – Rear Specialized Slaughter Grid

slimjim78
    Free Member

This thread is exactly what I needed. Cheers

discapade
    Free Member

Yep I’m also running Butcher/purg..really like em

panzerjager
    Free Member

I’ve just gone from my old 26″ bike to a newly built 27.5″.
    Rims are wider, travel is longer, bars are wider, stem shorter etc. The only thing that I’ve kept the same is the Conti Trail Kings (from Rubber Queen) & they still feel great.
    There doesn’t seem to be the love for them there used to be, not sure why?

Edit…& the Black Chilli Apex ones are only 30 quid each on Merlin at the moment…

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Helping me this thread. Torn with what to do at the moment, want a setup that will be fine in the wet, muddy woods near me as well as regular trips to Llandegla etc.

HR2 or the Specialized setup that people seem to like are favourite.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Current best 650b crop of tyres?’ is closed to new replies.