Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Curled up rear derailleur
  • serrature
    Free Member

Hi there! I’m new to the forum.

So I have a trek road bike which is about 8/9 years old with shimano 105 front and rear derailleurs.
    My problem is with the rear. I removed it from the frame recently for cleaning and removed the pulley wheels also.

Now when I try to tune the gears, when the chain is on the small chain ring and on the smaller cogs of the cassette, the derailleur curls upwards and starts jumping (as in the chain doesnt pass smoothly through the 2 pulley wheels).

One important point is that while re-inserting the top pulley wheel, I had to install it without the two metal washers since the screw seemed to not have enough thread. The three parts simply didnt fit. Maybe this is another reason for the instability

bencooper
    Free Member

If there are bits missing, that’s a pretty sure sign something is wrong – Shimano don’t make mistakes like that 😉

brokensoul
    Free Member

I’d probably try putting it all back together again. That screw won’t have shrunk in the wash.

leftyboy
    Free Member

The jokey wheels aren’t normally interchangeable they have subtle differences so if you stripped them you may have put the wrong parts together. HTH

cyclical
    Free Member

If you look at another rear mech you will see that there is no overlap on the screws that hold the pulley wheels ie the screws aren’t made on the long side. Once you have put the metal washers in you really have to nip the mech together with your other hand to pull everything together before the screw will catch in the thread. Once the screw has caught it will pull everything together. Don’t over tighten though or else you may have the same problem as you have now

VanMan
    Free Member

Could try following this or maybe this from Park Tools website. Might give some hints

serrature
    Free Member

Wow, thanks very much to all for the replies!

@bencooper
    – yeah I was pretty much expecting there to be problems when I wasn’t able to put it all back together again.

@brokensoul True! 🙂

@leftyboy I’m pretty sure i didnt mix up the parts – just left out the 2 metal washers that go either side of the jockey wheel…but i’ll have a look to make sure.

@cyclical “Once you have put the metal washers in you really have to nip the mech together with your other hand to pull everything together before the screw will catch in the thread.”
    Exactly what I tried to do but I couldn’t get it to bite :-/

@VanMan Awesome links! thanks a million.

In the meantime here are 2 photos to illustrate a bit more the problem I have.

In the first you can see how there is a lot of slack in the chain when I have it on the smallest cog.
    And in the second, you can see how the arm of the derailleur is completely curled up.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/st4rqvjf4264a5t/IMG_0093.JPG
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0iiw7xmgrf3sn4x/IMG_0094.JPG

PS: Let me know if you can’t access the photos. On clicking the “IMG” button it asked me for a url – thats why I used dropbox.

Markie
    Free Member

Sorry if this is too egg sucking, but are you sure the chain is running through the derailleur correctly?

serrature
    Free Member

Ummm. Thats the problem i described – its not running through the derailleur correctly due to it being curled up. The why is what im trying to find out

Markie
    Free Member

Is the cable clamped in the same place it originally was?

njee20
    Free Member

Have you changed the chain? Looks too long.

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

Can you take the wheel out and post up a picture from the other side of your mech?
    Also from that picture it looks like the end of your qr skewer is on the wrong way round…

njee20
    Free Member

Nah, looks like a turbo trainer skewer.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    Have you changed the chain? Looks too long.

This looks likely…

njee20
    Free Member

Basically the tension in the chain is what pulls the mech forward – its natural position is just as it is in the photos. As the chain appears to be on both the cassette and the chainring that seems the obvious problem.

Can you take a photo on the big ring for comparison?

The missings parts from the jockeys won’t be helping at all too!

serrature
    Free Member

Hi again guys,

@markie, i replaced the gear shifter cable since its been ages since it was changed and i just followed a youtube video to try to tune the gear shifting.

@njee20 yup! you’re right – the chain is brand new, the cassette too. Now that i think of it i didnt check the length against the old chain to make sure there was no excess.
    I know what you mean about the chainring, but it shouldn’t be curled up like that when its on the small ring?

@adambikeworks Njee20 is right – its a turbo trainer skewer. I managed to lose the original mavic one so i left it in.

here are the photos you asked for, one with the chain on the big ring and the second with the wheel removed looking at the other side of the mech.
    Cheers!

njee20
    Free Member

Can’t see those, but if you’ve changed the chain that’ll be the problem, you need to take out a good number of links to get it to the right length.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

As others have said, chain looks way too long.

serrature
    Free Member
    Edric64
    Free Member

not supposed to run chain on small sprocket and small chain ring as there is to much slack chain to take up

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Yep, what Edric said – my bike does the same when I accidentally go small to small.

serrature
    Free Member

Hi again everyone…

Sure enough I checked the new chain against the old and it was a good 5 or 6 links longer.
    So I took them out and it seems to be running as before, smooth and the derailluer doesn’t curl up in any gear ratio.
    I tried putting the metal washers back around the jockey wheel but it was imposible. The thread must have worn on the screw or on the mech, either way it just doesnt want to fit.
    But there doesn’t seem to be a lot of play so its fine as it is I think.

The mech is a good 8 years old now with a lot of km’s put into it, so the gear shifting isn’t as smooth or as accurate as it should be but i was planning on upgrading to a brand new ultegra anyway. It’s in bad need of it.

Thanks to everyone for the help, really appreciate it!

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Curled up rear derailleur’ is closed to new replies.