Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Curious…. What's your internet connection like at home?
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

Seems like everything these days needs t’internet connection. Since moving to Oz the last 7 years the best speed we could get was about 4-5mb. New “National Broadband Network” meant to be live in my area in March next year and best speed offered is 100/40 fttn with old copper from the node to the premises. I can’t bloody wait. Maybe I can watch Neckflix (what my 5yo son calls it) without buffering it up for 2 hours so i can watch A episode of something? Heaven forbid I ever tried to binge watch something…

bah tonight is a good night

wwaswas

It’s half term so the kids are using it too today.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Sea.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    SiB
    Free Member

between 1-2 mbps when |I checked a coupe of weeks ago, its not good for anything!!

leffeboy

I still remember building my first ever 1200baud modem which seemed cutting edge. Speeds like that up there are black magic to me

50Mbps down is normal but I get nothing like that at work even though we pay lots more and I’m often the only person in. Suburbia is good for something at least

nickc

upload’s not bad at about 12mbps but upload, I work from home with some giant spreadsheets is a woeful .80 (or so) mbps, which slows everything down a bit

DrP

zero…

Switching from sky wire, to plusnet fibre (which still uses the phone line socket).

It doesn’t work.

Engineer coming tomorrow.

Idiots.

DrP

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Is that real wwaswas? I know that’s Mb not MB but downloading a big file at those speeds must make the HDDs work pretty hard, mustn’t it?

Best move I made was bribing the guy installing our internet. We pay for nothing like these speeds 🙂

wwaswas

yes, it’s a Virgin connection. I’m on a pc wired to the router which helps.

Main disk on this pc is an SSD so it can keep up ok.

P20

Plusnet fibre. 72 down, 17 up

lunge

Currently at work, but either way.
    Ping 18ms
    Download 23.86Mbps
    Upload 24.53Mbps

It always feels quite quick here, I’ll compare with home when I get there.

somouk
    Free Member

I work from home so use it all day. New build estate a fair way from the exchange and no Virgin Media option means I get 25 down and 10 up. Would love a properly fast connection but I’m not paying the thousands to install FTTH.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

ping: 19mS
    down: 209Mbps
    up: 12Mbps
    Virgin cable, work pays!

P-Jay
    Free Member

Currently 4.2 down, 1.3 up at home.

Although slower than the OPs, Netflix streams just fine in HD for me, so yours should be fine? Depends on the device I suppose, my old PS3 couldn’t make it work with 6Mb. Won’t do a thing when the eldest is up during his 8 hours Youtube binges…

Moving in 2 weeks, new house has Cable or FTTC options, I’ve gone for 100Mb cable, I didn’t really want to use Virgin, we’ve got 300Mbs Virgin in work and it’s not been very reliable, but there’s already a virgin line at the house. 50 seemed a bit tight, 100 is more than enough for me.

OpenReach did pledge to offer fibre to all residential customers by April 2016, which they failed at, but a lot of people we speak to about poor internet are just moaning about what they have and never check what’s available. Standard Copper Broadband is topped out about 12Mb, if you want to go faster you need Fibre which is currently topped out at 300Mb.

Globally Gigabit fibre is slowing becoming the norm, it’s not *exactly* the same, but theoretically with a gigabit leased line you’d get 1000Mb down and 1000Mb up which is the same connection speed as most modern internal networks.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

3 Mbps download, 0.15 upload. Ping currently 545 but can be 5000+
    BT shit.
    Fibre broadband from town stops 5 houses down the hill. Ours is Fibre to cabinet, with 2 miles of copper wire across the common.
    There are no plans to upgrade it.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Pants, thanks to awful rental flat internal wiring.

Infinity 2 (because of price deal when I1 came to end of promo price), ~23/4.5Mbps, could be 75 down at somewhere better!

Houns

143.98 down and 12.3 up

slowbloke
    Free Member

At the moment – sod all – ever since Monday when one of the local farmers rather over zealously trimmed the hedges on the road down to the farm and chopped through the cables 🙄

fifeandy
    Free Member

~17 Down, 1.5 Up

Since moving to Oz

That there is your problem.
    Anyone that’s had more than a passing interest in online gaming over the years is aware that of the many things Oz has in its favour, internet connectivity isn’t one of them!

blader1611
    Free Member

I have sky with not a sniff of fibre happening in my life time and i live in an urban area, i get 6 down and 0.4 up. Its rubbish but suffice for now considering its unlimited and only costs 7.50 a month.

daniel_owen_uk
    Free Member

Virgin Media, last test said 12ms 195.36Mb / 12.3Mb

That said that was over wifi, I think it would be quicker wired.

Had it about a year and it’s been pretty bulletproof.

gonzy
    Free Member

sky fibre
    tested it last month
    ping was 19ms
    upload was 9.84mbps
    download was 33.13mbps

wifi connection speeds vary between 125mbps when busy to 800mbps

matt_outandabout

😐

hammerite
    Free Member

Just swapped mobile over to 4g. 25mbps down, 5 up.

Over wifi at home about 50mbps down, 15-ish up. Wired 100 down about 30 up.

colournoise

At home, currently averages around 0.5 Mbps down and 0.1 Mbps up.

Have put up with that for two years now after moving from an 80 Mbps Virgin cable connection.

Our estate’s new crowdfunded FTTC connection went live last week, so by next Wednesday I should be wallowing in the luxury of something around 40 Mbps download speed.

mst
    Free Member

Just got Gigaclear installed. 8ms ping with 200Mbps up and down

aracer
    Free Member

Not bad for copper – and plenty for my needs most of the time.

big_scot_nanny

After years of paying for broadband down the phone line that peaked at 8 down and 1 up, even though we pay for 20/2 and usually get 4/1 (which is a complete disaster with 3 kids with ‘devices’ connected), just changed to local cable provider for internet and telly.

Woooooeeee its faaaassssttt!! 250 down and 20 up tonight. Ripping! Streaming services and apple TV suddenly make sense!

tomhoward

Shit. The best available, but still shit.

Gone from 50+ dl in Harrogate to 2, 10mins from Leeds city centre 👿

bungle

Oddly work was dup 495/789/2

weeksy

19 down, 19 up

wilburt
    Free Member

Iphone..70 down 20 up.

chiefgrooveguru

47.5 down, 1.6 up (via the iPhone).

njee20
    Free Member

Although slower than the OPs, Netflix streams just fine in HD for me, so yours should be fine? Depends on the device I suppose, my old PS3 couldn’t make it work with 6Mb

I thought that. We get 4-5, but the PS3 is fine watching Netflix.

footflaps

Better than I expected, could have sworn we were only on a 20 Mb/s service with Virgin Media.

Pickers

Paying for 76 down, best we’ve had is 82 down, 40 something up. Happy with that on Plusnet. Not reliable though; not sure if it’s the line or the router.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    Although slower than the OPs, Netflix streams just fine in HD for me, so yours should be fine? Depends on the device I suppose, my old PS3 couldn’t make it work with 6Mb
    I thought that. We get 4-5, but the PS3 is fine watching Netflix.

In SD it’s do-able but trying to stream HD (with other people in the house with laptops / phones connected) bu-ff-eeeeeee-ring……

welshfarmer

Drac

Dropped to the slower fibre awhile back as it’s fast enough.

Best move I made was bribing the guy installing our internet. We pay for nothing like these speeds

I take it you’re paying for dial up.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

I’m paying for 100/10, tested last night and i’m getting 300/85.

Apparently they upgraded the stuff in the box last week (i had no internet for the day) and haven’t yet got round to configuring it properly. They’ve apparently just plugged everyone in.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Curious…. What's your internet connection like at home?’ is closed to new replies.