• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by emyr.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Cup'n'cone bearings
  • paladin

Right I’m not too familiar with these, but they seem fairly straightforward. However, when my lads rear hub started grumbling, I took it apart to check and clean, I noticed the cone on one side looked like this…

Now I can’t see any reason for it to be like this, can anyone tell me I’m wrong?

cynic-al
    Free Member

What’s the problem?

asdfhjkl
    Free Member

Bent or broken axle?

jonathan
    Free Member

The wonky bearing “cover” I guess? Shouldn’t be a problem – the bearings shouldn’t contact it – as long as it’s not rubbing anything when it’s all adjusted up. A gentle tap with a hammer could straighten it?

paladin

It’s not straight. If I nip it up, it looks like this at one side

If I rotate the spindle 180, it looks like this

robdob
    Free Member

If you adjust it correctly and it binds when you turn the axle then the axle is bent. It might be just that bearing cover (not really a cover as mentioned above but just a locator for the rubber outer seal) is bent when the bike has been hit on the side (BMX with pegs is it?) in which case all should be ok as long as you can adjust it properly.

If the hub was a bit “grumbly” you may have already left it too late anyway, hopefully not, were the bearing races still smooth?

paladin

It’s a 20″ islabike. There was a little rust spot on the drive side race but it cleaned up OK. Think I’ll have it apart again today for more investigation.

emyr

I’d say the axle is probably straight but that disc thing’s taken a knock.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Cup'n'cone bearings’ is closed to new replies.