Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Cup size problem – help!
  • adjustablewench
    Free Member

Or rather mug size!

I have a few favourite mugs but they are all getting a bit old. In an effort to bring some conformity to my mug cupboard I’d like to replace them

But can I find decent mugs that hold around 500ml (yes I know it’s a bucket with a handle)

I know this is lost on the espresso crowd but someone out there must be able to point me in the direction of decent mugs.

I’ve also got an issue with proportions- anything wide and teacup shaped is a no no

carlosg
    Free Member

We have a stack of mugs from the Disney shop (including spares for when the kids break them) I don’t think they’re quite 500ml but they’re close. Obviously they aren’t in the league of best China but if you like a big cuppa then they’re perfect.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

*Disappointed*

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MoreCashThanDash

I’m with CFH! 8)

sobriety
    Free Member

Denby used to do some pretty chunky ones, think they held about 400ml

mrblobby
    Free Member

500ml… you’d be better off with some jugs 🙂

adjustablewench
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    *Disappointed*

Ha ha – a cheap trick to get some attention on here . . . But it works 🙂

Yes I have a couple of Denby ones – the rest of my crockery is Denby but a discontinued one. I don’t think they ever did big mugs in the same pattern (luxor).

I had some great mugs from ashdale in the early 90s (still have 3 of them left) perfec but unfortunately no longer available.

Cougar

My Thermos travel mug at work is about that size, and keeps a brew toasty.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Are you a snob? If not you could try a Sports Direct mug.

shermer75
    Free Member

Favourite mug beats conformity every time. Keep the mugs! 🙂

Sandwich

Off to Llanberis for the weekend and get a clutch of Pete’s Eats mugs. 1 imperial pint of tea capacity and bang on Brexit trend.

salad_dodger

Do you really need something that will hold 500ml? You’d be surprised at how much use you could get from a smaller cup. I watched a documentary once about 2 girls sharing 1 cup. Google it?

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=500ml+mug

Seems to be a fair bit of choice there – only returning 3,972 results when searching for 500ml mug!

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

I was going to say. Amazon. Or Ikea.
    You’ll get big mugs at both.

We had some nice stackable one pint mugs a few years ago. Funnily enough they had “One Pint Only” and “this way up” printed on them.

All sadly damaged and smashed.

Now I’d be lucky to find three matching ones at any point in time.

adjustablewench
    Free Member

A lot of the Amazon ones are travel cups etc.

Yes favourite cups have won over conformity for many years – I think the oldest one I have is about 26 years old.

But they are all all a bit worse for wear so thought it would be nice to just replace en mass with a suitable type of mug.

Not a snob but I would prefer 8 coloured mugs – rather than printed ones. I do prefer stoneware – as they seem to survive better than China ones.

scotroutes

We have the Denby mugs. I find the 400ml pretty large!!

1-shed
    Free Member

http://www.juleschina.co.uk/white-china-mug/ if your in Hebden Bridge ever Jules has big cups and jugs.

mechanicaldope

Attractiveness in a mug is irrelevant. Some of my favourite mugs are ugly but for some reason make delicious tea. Think china thickness and shape are the important things.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I was going to say 32a…

adjustablewench
    Free Member

I’d be happy with any where 400 – 500, just that most of mine are towards the top end of that range . . Much bigger than a 32a!

zippykona

It’s not the size it’s the thickness that counts.

Cougar

Oh,

I’ve a couple of proper mugs from whatever outlet does them, Wile E Coyote and, er, Bugs Bunny I think. Both are a pint and a half.

Have you tried searching for “pint” mugs rather than 500ml, might be more fruitful?

adjustablewench
    Free Member

That brings up all sorts of ‘look at me and my really big mug’ comedy type slogan stuff and various fractions of pints too.

I shall keep looking – seems like the Disney shop or similar is the place to go . . But I hate Disney

ji
    Free Member

EBay is quite good for second hand discontinued Denby…

gobuchul
    Free Member

If you want “proper” China and pint pot capacity, Dunoon China is the way to go.

http://www.dunoonmugs.co.uk/Henley.html

Not cheap mind.

500ml and a Spitfire, what more could you want?

http://www.dunoonmugs.co.uk/Argyll.html

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Cup size problem – help!’ is closed to new replies.