Viewing 7 posts - 81 through 87 (of 87 total)
  • Cup & Cone bearings – how lovely!
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Maybe that’s why I don’t have to replace bearings all the time – my Hopes are ten year old ProII 🙂

Poopscoop

I remember using a biro pen lid to place the individual ball bearings into hubs!

Anyone else used to do that?

Oh, and remove caged bearings so you could fit a few extra ball bearings into the hub? 😀

slowster
    Free Member

I remember using a biro pen lid to place the individual ball bearings into hubs!

Anyone else used to do that?

A Biro? You were lucky to have a Biro. I had to make do with the blade of a slotted screwdriver with a bit of grease on it to hold the ball bearing.

Cartridge bearings? The youth of today don’t know how lucky they are.

tehtehtehteh
    Free Member

I am also a fan of cup and cone, though I will tell you my shimano deore rear hub had a habit of the cone coming loose

Duffer
    Free Member

A Biro? You were lucky to have a Biro. I had to make do with the blade of a slotted screwdriver with a bit of grease on it to hold the ball bearing.

We used to dream of having a screwdriver! When I were a lad, we used to install bearings with a used teabag…

slowster
    Free Member

Well when I say ‘screwdriver’ it was only a broken fingernail, but it was a screwdriver to ME.

Duffer
    Free Member

Well when I say ‘screwdriver’ it was only a broken fingernail, but it was a screwdriver to ME.

But you try and tell young people today that. They won’t believe you!

Viewing 7 posts - 81 through 87 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Cup & Cone bearings – how lovely!’ is closed to new replies.