Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • Cup & Cone bearings – how lovely!
  • Duffer
    Free Member

I’ve just spent the afternoon servicing a load of them; bottom brackets, headsets, hubs… After decades of neglect, all then need is stripping, cleaning, and reassembling; now they’re buttery smooth again!

I’ve never really had any dealings with cup and cone before, but I’m really pleased. So beautifully simple.

Poopscoop

Yes,I used to love servicing them back in the day.

The only problem was if the cup/ cone surfaces became pitted. Even then you could coax some more life out of them.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Another fan here.

I love that you can carefully take them apart, and carefully put them together again. No hammers required.

FOG

I’m surprised we haven’t had loads of cartridge lovers dissing us cone heads! I really don’t have a problem with c&c. They actually seem to last longer than cartridge bearings and are much easier to restore to health

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ll do it 🙂 my cartridge bearings last many years and are easier to replace than C&C. Done both lots, I know which I prefer.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Are there any decent square taper cup/cone bottom brackets these days? Think the last one I had came with cotter pins!

rOcKeTdOg

Bike shops worst nightmare

Customer “I’ve had a go at doing the bearings myself”

Usually resulting in missing parts or the cones being the wrong way around or the axle much longer on the one side as its been but back in the wrong side then the cone adjusted to make it fit

Klunk
    Free Member

the latest “indexed” shimano offerings are a real pleasure to set up the older locking bolt version could sometimes be a bit fiddly to get spot on.

Only bearings I had that never needed adjusting and never wore out were unsealed cup and cone chorus hubs with a grease port.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

are easier to replace than C&C.

I’ll race ya!
    I’ll be handing you your ass on a plate though, have no doubt about that…… 🙂

binners

Where do you live? I’m gathering not in amongst the grinding-paste-esque filth of the north west of England?

I wouldn’t entertain using them in the drive-chain disintegrating slop that I generally ride through. Sealed cartridge bearings all the way. It’s not like they’re difficult to replace when they’re nackered. Which is far less frequently

scotroutes

Based on experience I’m very tempted to go XT for some new hubs. It’ll be a change from the ubiquitous Hopes!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ll race ya!
    I’ll be handing you your ass on a plate though, have no doubt about that……

Aye Up, gods gift to the bike trade has landed, swoon!.

orangeboy
    Free Member

As much as I’m a cup n cone fan I’m not sure I have them on my winter mtb.

But the xtr hubs on my winter comuter come touring bike have been spot on for years. Despite just getting used in the crappy weather then left in the shed for the rest of the year

tjagain

PP – including BOTH bearing surfaces? I can change a pair of cartridge bearings in under 5 mins and that includes all adjusting and both bearing surfaces. there is no way on earth you can do that with C&C

ahwiles
    Free Member

binners – Member
    …I wouldn’t entertain using them in the drive-chain disintegrating slop that I generally ride through.

Your local trails sound crap 😉

(#saveittillsummer etc.)

DezB
    Free Member

Give me Mavics with bearings that last the lifetime of the wheel any day.
    Got a pair of cheapo Crossrides on my singlespeed, have never been touched, bike used to be used daily, in all weathers for dog walking and the bearings are still smooth as new. Faffing around with cone spanners? No ta.

tomd
    Free Member

PP – including BOTH bearing surfaces? I can change a pair of cartridge bearings in under 5 mins and that includes all adjusting and both bearing surfaces. there is no way on earth you can do that with C&C

Have you seen Big Al in Wheelcraft work? He’d have it done in 3 while drinking his coffee and chatting.

I’m a big fan – XT hubs have done me well and are cheap to buy and maintain. You can get a complete rebuild kit with a free pen holder for £27!!

orangeboy
    Free Member

Free pen holder lol

jamj1974

Cup and cone looked after well are lovely. It’s a nice job to service them – very satisfying.

Keeping all the required spares for a headset, BB, hubs and pedals was simply a matter of 3 or 4 sizes of ball bearings.

Less nasty suprises as long as you stayed on top of maintenance too.

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

I just serviced the cup and cones in the cheapy Diatech hubs of my long suffering Halo’s. Doing that regularly with a good bit of webbing grease has kept them in good shape.

I also clean my sealed hub and BB bearings out every now and again. Getting the grit and mud out and regreasing them does wonders for their lifespan.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ll be handing you your ass on a plate though, have no doubt about that……

How often do you have to do it?

It’s a nice job to service them – very satisfying.

You service hubs? How quaint.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’ve tried to service them, but they’re beyond my limited mental capacity. I can’t do “tight but not too tight, do it by feel” things.

Whenever I’ve tried they’ve either been too tight to spin freely, it at all or so loose they wobble. There only seems a millionth of a degree of a turn between the two.

ahwiles
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    How often do you have to do it?

Once a year if you want them to last for the rest of time, every other year if you’re happy to accept gradual deterioration over a decade or so…

I’m actually trying to kill the less-than-deore 475 hubs on my commuter, after 5 years, and something like 25,000km, they’re now a bit ‘rumbly’, but I’ve serviced worse, there’s years left in those hubs…

Astonishing really.

scotroutes

orangeboy – Member
    As much as I’m a cup n cone fan I’m not sure I have them on my winter mtb

My fatbike has an XT rear hub. It’s been through the sea, deep sand, mud, peat and salty road slush. The hub is more than 5 years old and is still perfect. I’ll probably give it a once over before next winter just out of mechanical sympathy.

twohats
    Free Member

LOL at Peter Poddy, couple of years in the bike trade and he’s gods gift…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’m with PP on this one, especially a rear hub, doubly so if it’s been looked after and the drive side cone doesn’t need to come off the axle.

4x cartridge bearings (which if worn enough to have significant play could be a PITA to get out as the inners will knock out leaving the outer still in there, blind against the hub) and retrieving pawls and springs from wherever they end up under the fridge.

Vs

2x c&c bearings and a modular freehub that attaches with one bolt.

And bessides, if looked after you never need to replace them, just wash in petrol, re-pack with grease and adjust them again.

I’ve tried to service them, but they’re beyond my limited mental capacity. I can’t do “tight but not too tight, do it by feel” things.

Whenever I’ve tried they’ve either been too tight to spin freely, it at all or so loose they wobble. There only seems a millionth of a degree of a turn between the two.

Trick is to get them as adjusted as close as possible and tighten the locknut/cone, then nip up the locknut with the other end in a vice to tighten the whole lot the last little bit.

lazlowoodbine
    Free Member

My brother witnessed the end of the axle of his Hope Ti Glide being beaten with a hammer by a bike shop owner of many years to get the bearing out..

He learned to work on it himself after that.

RustySpanner

molgrips – Member

As opposed to paying someone else to do it, or throwing them away?

Seems sensible to me.

orangeboy
    Free Member

What I do miss is hubs with a grease nipple , wtb grease guard and campy.

That and people selling the cup on its own without the free pen holder

jamj1974

molgrips – Member

So are some of the hubs I service… ’95 & ’96 XT are some of my more recent cup and cone ones which get my attention.

I also sometimes renovate unwanted bikes that can still be rescued and find a good home for them. Some of them are only a step above a BSO and even now come with cup and cone hubs.

Garry_Lager

P-Jay – Member

Whenever I’ve tried they’ve either been too tight to spin freely, it at all or so loose they wobble. There only seems a millionth of a degree of a turn between the two. Same here. I can look after my bikes fine, in general, but have struggled more than once getting an XT hub done up right.

I appreciate that PeterPoddy is enaging in hyperbolex above, but assuming that you can service them fast with experience, is it just a case of knowing the cone tightness by feel so you can twiddle them up and that’s it done straight away? Always found it an exasperating process of trial and error.

BruceWee

When I was working a a bike shop there was one particular wheel brand (Oval Concepts) whose cup and cone bearings would last a year and a half tops without servicing. After than they would be so pitted that the wheel was a write off. It suited me though. Most of the time the customer would just tell us to keep the old wheel so I would strip them for the rims and bladed spokes and build them up again with someone who had knackered their rim 🙂

deadkenny
    Free Member

Done C&C and likewise cage bearings on headsets in crud conditions. No thanks.

Sure they’re serviceable without having to buy new bearing (may need new balls though), but it’s extra faff and likely a right mess. On top of that C&C requires fiddling to get the preload right and then the QR has to be done up right each ride to get the loading right so it’s not loose, but not too tight the wheel doesn’t spin.

thepurist

Did a c&c rear hub yesterday, as above its great when it all goes back together and you nip it up juuust right. It’s definitely more satisfying than just whacking some new cartridge bearings in.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I was just thinking as for the 4th year in a row I’ve not touched any of my hubs how much I’d love to be messing around with some cone spanners

jamj1974

How has someone saying how they enjoyed servicing cup and cone hubs needed to become a critique of them and the people that service them….? Sheesh!

One of my watches I have to wind up. Let me guess the responses… Battery quartz watches are ‘better’ because you haven’t had to touch it in 4 years or why didn’t I invest in an automatic…

newrobdob
    Free Member

LOL at Peter Poddy, couple of years in the bike trade and he’s gods gift…

To be fair he was an excellent mechanic for years before he changed careers. We’ve both been servicing cup and cone for 25 years so you do kinda get used to it!

newrobdob
    Free Member

A quality cup and cone is designed to last and be serviceable. Cartridge bearing hubs are designed so that they are easy to fix when they fail.

For the price there’s not much that can touch an XT hub for longevity. I’ve got some which are 20 years old and still like new.

greyspoke
    Free Member

Last time I had cup and cone bearings, replacement cups were not available (though clearly a simple press-in part), so if you had let your’s get pitted and rusty, that was it. Have things changed?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Cup & Cone bearings – how lovely!’ is closed to new replies.