Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Cumbria/Borders
  • hillmanimp
    Free Member

Hi,

Newbie on here. Thought I would say Hi.

I am heading up to Brampton near Carlisle next week as my old man has just moved up there so I thought I would visit and am thinking of bringing my bike and giving a local trail a go.

I am happy with an easy black with no out of the blue 4ft vertical drops etc. My favourite trail is the W2 in Affan as a bit of a guide and regularly do the red at Dalby forest (hence why I say no unexpected 4ft drops on the black, as was caught out on the black there once).

I was wondering what Newcastleton was like or Dalbeattie?

Help appreaciated.

Scotty

Trekster

imo Dalbeattie is much better than Newcastleton, others will have a different opinion 🙄
    You are not that far from the Lakes and have a variety of choices out of Keswick. Whinlatter for trail centre fun. The classic Borrowdale Bash and various combinations around Skiddaw.
    I have Thurs & Fri free if you fancy a “locals” ride at Mabie or Dalbeattie?

Only done a bit of Dalby red and Dalbeattie is more techy than the bits I rode. Not as much in the way of hieght, D`beattie is quite flat but the rocky nature makes you work for your fun 😆

Northwind

I didn’t quite gel with Dalbeattie but I really enjoyed some bits… Then, I like rocks. I don’t remember anything particularily ambushy on it.

Take Trekster’s offer if you can! He took us to some absolutely lovely bits of trail that we’d never have found- never even have known we were missing in fact.

boxelder

Mabie or whinlatter are best within an hours drive.
    For natural trails – 30 mins to Askham for trails over to ullswater. Ride from Brampton into fells above castle carrock/tindale.

leebaxter
    Free Member

yes head for the fells, Hallbankgate to castle carrock its impossible to get lost. And a quick blat through Gelt woods

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Theres some great trails around Hexamshire Common,Newcastletons ok for a morning ride Dalbeatie or Mabie are great too.

wonnyj
    Free Member

I live in Swansea so ride at afan all the time. Yesterday i rode newcastleton (red trail) for the first time (on my way home to the borders for chrimbo). Anyway it’s a nice little centre, with some fun sections, very smooth, lots of berms and was actually quite sheltered considering the weather. No unexpected big drops although there are a few rocky drop offs which were good fun and break up the smoothness. Worth a look if the weather is too bad for the lakes or if you’ve only got a couple of hours available. Has a jump park too but I didn’t ride it in the wet

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Ae and Drumlanrig are both interesting and in a decent striking distance of Brampton. Whinlatter is OK but will seem short compared to Dalby. ( I’m not keen on it in the wet either). Skiddaw and Dodd wood are some of my favorite north lakes rides.

hillmanimp
    Free Member

Excellent, thanks for the advice.

I think I might pop up there on Friday but will have to see how things pan out as I keep finding distractions and must service my car before I drive anywhere too far as its about to explode.

Thanks for the offer of the local ride Trekster, but as I am unsure as to when I am heading up I don’t want to make a commitment I can’t keep. Maybe next time as I am likely to be heading up there pretty regularly.

Mabie is not too far so I may give that a go. Will see what happens and let you know how I got on.

Thanks

Scotty

lodge
    Free Member

I live in Carlisle if your gonna ride one trail centre ride ae forest.
    Whinlatter would be my second choice.
    Newcastletons fine but not as long or technical as the others.

Trekster

Cheers imp. Just let me know if you do make it up on Fri, happy to ride anytime. Cafe is open Thurs, Fri, Sat btw.
    btw I used to own a Hilman Imp, California estate. Magic wee car 😆

boxelder

Hilman Imp, California estate. Magic wee car

Do you put the bike under the bonnet?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Cumbria/Borders’ is closed to new replies.