Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Culinary things which make you groan
  • esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

If you don’t like a roast chicken dinner then whoever is cooking it is doing it wrong.

Doing something wrong anyway. Saying that, my son (31 yr old not the 33 yr old) doesn’t like chicken in any form. So he says.

But he’ll eat turkey ok. 🙄

johndoh
    Free Member

Yeah one of my daughters doesn’t like bacon but likes ham and gammon. Told her the bacon in a carbonara I made for them yesterday was gammon and she liked it.

senorj

Mince & tatties. bawk.
    In a cottage pie , tolerable.
    This is due to being made to finish my dinners as a child. No pudding etc. 🙂

FuzzyWuzzy

Meat with fruit is something I don’t get on with (whether as part of the dish like duck a l’orange or vension and black cherry sauce or as a condiment like pork with apple sauce or turkey and cranberry).

As for roast chicken, I’m a fan but have noticed as I get older the meat in the roast dinner has become much less of a thing than the potatoes, gravy and veg. Get the veg part wrong and I’ll probably notice how disappointing the chicken is, otherwise it’s just a bit of protein padding out the tasty bits.

weeksy

Tweezers.

Any food that is described as Umami …

Pretentious food

Food that is ‘thinking outside of the box’

Anything with dry ice making it look like a fog

Tiger6791

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2tg3-93jKvc[/video]

retro83
    Free Member

Food should be served on a plate, and if there are chips, they too should be on said plate, not in a miniature basket/coal scuttle/shopping trolley.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Food should be served on a plate, and if there are chips, they too should be on said plate, not in a miniature basket/coal scuttle/shopping trolley.

Can you tell the difference when you taste it?
    What if your plate was made of wood? Better to be on a paper plate?

slowoldman

I remember when your chicken ‘n’ chips came in a basket. There’s nowt new.

retro83
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

Can you tell the difference when you taste it?
    What if your plate was made of wood? Better to be on a paper plate?

I can tell the difference in taste yes, food served from an old roof tile or an upside down dustbin lid often has a slight whiff of tryhard-****ness about it.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

views on food served on ipads?

prawny

I’m going to set up a restaurant where the food is served on plates but the cutlery is hipster kitch. Maybe a trowel and a lump hammer. There’s loads of hipster places opening in brum now, could probably get away with it, the cereal killer cafe is always satisfyingly quiet when I go past though.

Not that I want them to fail, but it is a stupid waste of money.

retro83
    Free Member

howsyourdad1 – Member

views on food served on ipads?

that’s food?!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

cereal killer café in London is brilliant. More of that sort of thing

mikewsmith
    Free Member

food served from an old roof tile or an upside down dustbin lid often has a slight whiff of tryhard-****ness about it.

Ah perception and grumpiness, imagine the first time somebody got a plate rather than a wooden board with their food on it.

IMG_0664 by Mike SmithFlickr2BBcode LITE

theotherjonv

going off slightly on this – the one culinary thing guaranteed to make me groan is when my daughter decides she’s going to make porridge. Don’t get me wrong, I’m delighted she’s having a hearty breakfast, and also delighted she is clever enough to be able to make it from scratch, rather than tipping a sachet into a bowl, adding milk and microwaving.

The groan comes from the fact that I’ll be removing what appears to be the most resistant oat based adhesive know to man* from the inside of the pan afterwards. Nothing chemical seems to touch it, it needs a soak in boiling water and then for me to scrape the bits off with my fingernails.

* I say man, but being a nearly-teenage daughter the signs are there that she is some alternative species, and it’s entirely possible this was actually developed to resolve some kind of cement shortage on planet elsa.

retro83
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member
    Ah perception and grumpiness, imagine the first time somebody got a plate rather than a wooden board with their food on it.

Well yeah, it is perception: the correct perception that it’s idiotic and done by some tryhard twit trying to make their restaurant chain look cool.

A plate is a carefully designed object, perfect for serving food on. Hence why it is so often used for doing so:

[list][*]It is made of a material which is easy to clean and generally light in color so any food/stains which gets missed in cleaning are easy to spot.[/*]
    [*]It can be cleaned in a dishwasher.[/*]
    [*]It has upturned edges so the food doesn’t roll or dribble away, yet not upturned enough to get in the way of the K&F[/*]
    [*]It is made of a hard material and doesn’t get scratched easily[/*]
    [*]It does not absorb food or oils.[/*]
    [*]It does not corrode or degrade chemically when in contact with food.[/*]
    [*]It has a ring on the bottom side which is rough/unfinished so it does not slip on the table[/*][/list]

Now let’s see the list for those stupid wooden boards
    [list][*]We can look really on trend just like every other chain restaurant who does the same thing[/*][/list]

scuttler

Mac-‘n’-cheese always had an ‘n’ in it, they just altered the name to bring it on-trend and whack the price up.

slowpuncheur
    Free Member

‘Slaw’ …’koff
    Cauliflower ‘steak’….do one!
    Any food with gold involved..in the sea.

molgrips
    Free Member

inevitably we will have another “I’ve put a lot of effort into this, you should be grateful”.

You should be. I’m grateful for anyone that cooks for me, regardless of the result, because it’s a lovely thing to do. Talk about taking things for granted.

Anyway – chicken can be delicious if you do it right. And rubbish if wrong.

everyone
    Free Member

Bravo retro/tech team for putting bullet points in a post and it not ruining the formatting of the rest of the page!

johndoh
    Free Member

The best way for a foolproof chicken (even if you have nothing to season/baste with) is to slow cook it. Moist and tasty every time and the juices make a great gravy.

Embarrassed to say but the nicest one I have done is the Jamie Oliver recipe

tomhoward

‘My take on a classic (insert nice food here)’

Will always be worse than the classic dish.

If it ain’t broke…

‘Deconstructed’ see above.

Let’s not get into the pie/pastry hat debate

retro83
    Free Member

everyone – Member
    Bravo retro/tech team for putting bullet points in a post and it not ruining the formatting of the rest of the page!

You’re welcome everyone 😀

slowoldman

The groan comes from the fact that I’ll be removing what appears to be the most resistant oat based adhesive know to man* from the inside of the pan afterwards

Try COLD water and leave it to sit for a while.

Drac

slowster
    Free Member

The groan comes from the fact that I’ll be removing what appears to be the most resistant oat based adhesive know to man* from the inside of the pan afterwards

I use jumbo rolled oats with half milk and water and I don’t have this problem, unless I leave the pan unattended too long on the hob and the oats start to catch and brown on the bottom of the pan.

I would suggest you experiment with lower temperature and regular or even continual stirring once the the porridge starts to thicken.

theotherjonv

It’s not me, it’s my daughter

I can make porridge and have it out of the pan and the pan washed up no trouble. i don’t know what she does, all I understand is the feeling in the pit of my stomach when i find the pan in the sink.

On a time for money basis, I reckon I’d be better off buying cheap pans by the containerload direct from Taiwan.

Viewing 29 posts - 41 through 69 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Culinary things which make you groan’ is closed to new replies.