Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)
  • Culinary things which make you groan
  • aracer
    Free Member

There’s a chicken in the oven. I’m not particularly keen on roast chicken, the kids don’t like roast chicken all that much, inevitably we will have another “I’ve put a lot of effort into this, you should be grateful”.

martinhutch

Tell her it doesn’t take any more effort to make a roast chicken than it does to make any other meal, it just allows her to pretend she’s cooking for longer while it just sits in the oven.

🙂

Report back how it goes.

anagallis_arvensis

The chauvinism is strong with this thread it is

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    km79
    Free Member

How can someone not like roast chicken 😕

cheekyboy
    Free Member

I hate roast chicken and I dont care if its a bloke or a bird.

rOcKeTdOg

Roast chicken, effort?

Turn on oven, place chicken in oven, wait the required time whilst doing something else, turn off oven, eat chicken.

Hardly breaking a sweat

bearnecessities

EDIT: Sorry, misread the OP.

Still, chauvinism it isn’t.

maccruiskeen

I hate roast chicken and I dont care if its a bloke or a bird.

Cock

angeldust
    Free Member

How is this chauvinistic?

myti
    Free Member

If you dislike it so much why don’t you get in and cook something else before the chicken gets put in? Must say though if you don’t like roast chicken someone must be doing something wrong…

wiggles
    Free Member

OP didn’t allude to the gender of the person cooking it so surely by claiming “chauvinism” you are the one being sexist for assuming it is being cooked by a woman?

ton

just eaten roast chuck, with 5 veg.
    i cooked it whilst mrs t watched rubbish telly.
    chauvinism disappears the longer you have been married.

sweepy
    Free Member

Heterocentric at least 🙂

tinybits
    Free Member

It really isn’t.

Bloody bloody bloody one tray lemon chicken.
    Dry, tasteless and occasionally a bit of burnt red onion. It’s crap.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Why not offer to cook dinner yourself?

andyl
    Free Member

Spatchcock it coated with some nice spices and serve with alternative veg and tatties like lime and chilli corn on the cob, baked sweet potatoes with sour cream/creme fraiche, bean salad etc etc.

Traditional roasts just feel boring these days, find ways to make them more exiting and fresher.

slowoldman

Roast chicken is a doddle, once you learn to cook it long enough and leave it to rest.

But if you simply don’t like roast chicken, well…

Tracey

Sunday dinner with roast chicken, pigs in blankets, roast parsnips and roast potatoes was what we had today, homemade Yorkshire puddings to start with.
    What’s not to like about it, chicken went in before the bike rides with the timer set.
    Dog has just finished her bowl full.
    Enough chicken left for a couple of meals in the week and enough scraps and veg to feed the dog for a couple of days.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Maybe take the missus up the Toby Carvery?

Cougar

Is that like the OXO Tower?

Cougar

Culinary things which make me groan: The current trend for not using plates. Yes please, I’d love a cottage pie in a pint glass with a side salad in a dog bowl, thanks.

malgrey
    Free Member

Indeed. Chips in metal baskets, veg in separate pots, just serve it straight up on my plate for goodness sake!

Pies in pots. Noooooooooooo. They’re not pies, if they’re just a lid on a pot.

Roast chicken is a favourite of mine, but no reason it should be everybody’s.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

How can someone not like roast chicken

This.

Where are yo OP, I’ll have it.

Cock

Polla.

Culinary things which make me groan: The current trend for not using plates. Yes please, I’d love a cottage pie in a pint glass with a side salad in a dog bowl, thanks.

This also, The Red Lion in Alnmouth is ace but they give you stuff on slates, I mean WTF? (well they didn’t last time cos I asked for a plate)

dannyh
    Free Member

Chicken dinner is one of my least favourite meals. There’s nothing wrong with it per se, but there’s nothing right either. It’s just a blandfest, and bland food is a pet hate of mine.

Indian, Spanish, Italian, Mexican, Portuguese, Greek, Turkish, Chinese, Thai, pretty much any world cuisine would be my preference over ‘classic British’. I like fish and chips, but I’d much rather have a curry or a pasta dish, for example.

dannyh
    Free Member

If we’re talking culinary ‘process’ and affectation, then basically anything that involves style over substance pisses me off. I don’t want my dinner to be assembled by some coke-fuelled maniac with a pair or tweezers with his sweaty face an inch from the food. Eating off of a plate is always preferable as well.

z1ppy
    esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I don’t want my dinner to be assembled by some coke-fuelled maniac with a pair or tweezers with his sweaty face an inch from the food. Eating off of a plate is always preferable as well.

Perfectly put sir!

‘Presentation’ my arse…just feed me proper scran!

Tracey

Went out Thursday night for a meal, all was going well till pudding time. Ordered sticky toffee pudding and custard, it came on a slate. Who serves custard on a slate, had to wolf it down before it finished up on the table.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Maybe take the missus up the Toby Carvery?

Cougar

For Cougar – Might help change the tide

Good.

#WeWantPlates

km79
    Free Member

Always check they use proper plates before ordering!

tomd
    Free Member

As a rule of thumb I avoid anywhere that sells, or has on the menu, Mac n cheese. As a child of the 80s, there was a lot of macoroni about about but I can’t recall anyone ever calling it Mac n cheese. Anyway, it’s not very nice and so stupidly easy to make so anywhere serving it is catering for stodge craving “mouth breathers” or hipsters.

aracer
    Free Member

At least somebody understands. It’s bog standard supermarket chicken which is bred to be devoid of flavour, roasted in a bog standard way. Quite happy to eat other things cooked in a similar way – things which taste of something in the first place, like the game birds we’ve sometimes had for Xmas dinner (this year was supermarket chicken 🙄 ). I do like roast potatoes though, they’re the highlight of the meal.

Thankfully it went much better than I expected though, the kids didn’t complain too much, so we didn’t get the usual spiel.

Not that it’s really at all relevant, but I do cook a lot of the time, however I don’t choose most of the meals. On which thought, one of the things I used to cook and enjoyed cooking was “egg fried rice” (not all that similar to what you’d get from a takeaway/restaurant – my take on it, or at least it was). However it seems that’s something I don’t cook any more, hence it no longer contains ginger or spring onions and has peas in instead – yet more bland (apparently all it needs is lots of soy sauce).

mikey74
    Free Member

Mmmmm roast chicken: Send it over here, I’ll have it. Love the stuff. i could sit there and munch my way through a whole one to myself.

dannyh
    Free Member

Whenever chicken dinner is on the way I am always casting around for some way to add some flavor to it. Stuffing, onion sauce, leeks as a vegetable – anything, anything with a bit of flavour.

I also err towards the drumsticks as the slightly darker meat has a bit more flavour in my opinion.

singlespeedstu

This thread isn’t about the chicken is it…

llama

He doesn’t like eating her chicken

Most would say that eating the chicken is one of the keys to a successful marriage

slowoldman

At least somebody understands. It’s bog standard supermarket chicken which is bred to be devoid of flavour, roasted in a bog standard way.

Well that’s easily solved.

johndoh
    Free Member

If you don’t like a roast chicken dinner then whoever is cooking it is doing it wrong.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Lemon and line inside it, sage, thyme and rosemary chopped and under the skin and inside it, veg roasted in the same tin, cooked for the right amount of time – massive transformation on put chicken in oven.

Anyway heaps of great places doing good food some have a different way to serve it that doesn’t make it taste worse, thankfully many grumpy people seem adverse to that so stay clear 🙂 All the better for the rest of us – I read earlier someone on about Mac n Cheese, great as a little side or deep fried into sticks, makes a change from Chips or Salad

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 69 total)

The topic ‘Culinary things which make you groan’ is closed to new replies.