Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Cube stereo sizing
  • mwilkes
    Free Member

I’m just about to buy a cube stereo 160 sl. Query re sizing as I’ve read that cube sizing is small and to get a size larger than normal! I am 5’11 and 32 inch inside leg which tells me medium or 18 inch bike. This seems to be the same for a stereo but says go larger!!!! Help please?

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

I think they’ve got longer in recent years but my 2013 140 29er is stupid short. I ended up with a 22″ / XL frame just to get a similar length reach to a Stumpy large (and then I think it’s still a good bit shorter) but the dropper is on the collar in the seat tube as it is.

So make sure you check and are happy the reach / top tube length as they certainly used to come up very short.

mwilkes
    Free Member

Cheers for that. I have ridden my friends medium and it felt fine to me, but also sat on a large in the shop, reach was fine but couldnt get a true feel for bike as no pedals on!!!

fergal
    Free Member

Same height inside leg as you, ride a Medium 140 stereo, it feels great, not bunched up at all, For reference i had a large spesh Enduro before this.

5.11 is inbetween sizes going by cubes chart upper end of Medium lower end of Large, so either, depends what type of terrain you ride as well, i ride a lot of tight technical rocky rooty terrain, would imagine larger would suite more bike park type stuff, straight fast lines.

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

Tricky one, possibly unhelpfully, I’d say it’s up to your personal preference then. If you can get a better go on a large, do it. For nothing else but to rule it out: you liked your mate’s medium, the charts suggest you’re good on a medium but you may always have that nagging doubt, “should I have gone for a large?”.

I’ve always found that I pretty quickly get used to different bikes and how to ride them so I doubt you’ll have any huge issues on either size so long as the large isn’t too large etc.

Slightly off topic but I’d be very hesitant of buying a Cube again. Their after sales care / support is virtually non existent in my experience (similar comments from a couple of local dealers when I’ve tried those avenues). I needed to buy some spare parts on a couple of different occasions and basically got no response from Cube either directly or through LBSs (it wasn’t warranty). Compared to someone like Specialized UK or Trek UK, it’s just not worth the hassle / risk in my opinion.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’m 5’10” and ride a large Stereo (140). Medium was definitely too short for me. They aren’t long frames, as you say.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

reggie-what year (given they’re supposed to be longer this year)?

I was going to ask the same Q as the OP as I’m looking at a Stereo 140. I’m 5’10 with a 32″ inseam so according to Cube a solid medium, but I read an MBR(?) review where the tester (also 5’10”) said it came up short and he’d have preferred the large. Been looking at reach etc figures for different bikes and it’s not really helping, and comparing it to my current bike isn’t particularly helpful as its a small Alpine and whilst it feels fine I think a larger/longer bike will also work, possibly better.

mwilkes
    Free Member

All very help guys, thank you. And also a tad confusing!!!

With the reach issue, 18 inch is 428, 20 inch is 442, so under 1.5 cm, which in my book is very little, plus can adjust. Think my main issue is inside leg, which as above points to a medium!!!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

2015. The ETT is 608mm I think, so it’s similar to the latest frames.

Can you get a ride on both sizes? Sitting on it and riding it are two different things. Medium may feel okay sitting on it, but riding it may prove it to be short.

mwilkes
    Free Member

I have ridden my friends medium and it felt great, but I am not that experienced and I have been riding an old hard tail, so it would feel great! Sat on the large, it didnt feel to long in reach, but felt big in its general height if that makes any sense!!!

daver27
    Free Member

sitting on and riding are very different, pop back to the shop and ask them to put some test pedals on and take it for a spin. personally i’d go large

fergal
    Free Member

A smaller frame with a low bottom bracket will be more nimble (see above) the trend is for longer slacker bikes, very stable at speed, the downside to this they can feel awkward when it gets tight.

^The reason i went for the smaller end of the spectrum, feels very nimble, one of the things the reviewers picked up on is that they say the Stereo is less sure footed at speed, can’t say i have noticed this, but then i am no pro.

Also i feel like i am sitting in it, not perched on top, my Enduro felt abit like this, the Stereo is confidence inspiring.

ste_t
    Free Member

2015 20″ 27.5 here. I’m 5’9″.

It says 20″ but the seat tube is actually 18″, the extra is the made up by the Reverb.

I dropped the Reverb a bit and it’s spot on.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Cube stereo sizing’ is closed to new replies.