Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Cube Stereo Frame Size – Help Desperately Needed!
  • lgregson85
    Free Member

Hi guys,

I’m in desperate need of some advice!

Currently riding a cube reaction hard tail, I’ve decided to take the plunge and upgrade to a full suspension. After much deliberation, I’ve settled on a Cube Stereo 160 super hpc 2014.

However, I do not know which frame size to go for. I’m five foot nine, and have a 29 inch inside leg, so it’s between the 16 inch or 18 inch. According to cube’s inside leg calculation, I should be riding a 17 inch frame size! I then started to look at online bike stores for their view, and some say I should get the 16 and others the 18! I even went into two different bike shops, with one saying I needed an 16 and the other saying 18!!!

I thought I had it solved when one web site referred to the ape index if your in between frame size; go for the larger frame if you have a positive ape index, smaller frame if negative. Guess what, my height is exactly the same as my armspan, so the index is neither positive or negative!!

This is driving me mad now cos I don’t want to spend £3k on a bike to learn three months later that I got the wrong size. Some people, websites etc suggest going for the 18, others are saying that the cube stereo is slightly larger than the indicated frame size, so to go for the 16 inch because in reality it’s nearer a 17 inch!

If anyone could help me decide on the right size, I promise them a pint and a steak dinner!

Any responses will be greatly appreciated.

hammyuk
    Free Member

I’m on a 16″ AMS Race at 5’7″ with a 32″inside leg and a positive ape span of nearly +4″…
    Loads of adjustment on the seatpost – mine is a long way up (although it’s a reverb)

honourablegeorge

What are you riding now? Top tube length and reach mean a lot more than seat tube lengths – and a bike like the Stereo will want a short stem.

Get the TT length of the current bike, compare to the Stereo, and factor in a shorter stem.

If you’re still 50:50, the longer bike will be more stable at speed – for a 160MM bike, that’s where I’d be leaning.

(A million people will be along in a minute to insist you have to test ride it)

blahblahblah
    Free Member

Look on the bright side. No matter which you choose, you are unlikely to feel it is badly the wrong fit!

I agree 100% with what honourablegeorge wrote.

The only thing to try to establish before thinking about the 18″ frame is whether you can drop the dropper low enough to accomodate your relatively short inside leg measurement.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

5’9 on a Stereo-18 without a doubt, you’ll find the 16 too short.

I’m 5’8 & just ordered an 18″ Stereo 140 HPA (2015)
    also ride a 17″ Reaction.
    Where in the world are you?

blahblahblah
    Free Member

Just seen the geometry numbers.

16 inch is effectively their small with a reach of 411mm
    18 inch is their medium with a reach of 429mm and the real seat tube length is only 400mm (so really 15.75 inch)

Based on that I would say definitely the 18inch as well.

lgregson85
    Free Member

Many thanks for the quick responses, much appreciated, especially to blahblahblah for taking the time to research the numbers involved.

It’s looking more like it’s the 18 inch, which is the same size as my current cube reaction so seems to make sense.

In an ideal world I’d be able to take them both for a test ride on a trail, but can only find demo days for next spring and I can’t wait that long!

Golden wonder, I’m in the bristol area. Out of interest, how long is the wait on the 2015 models? I’m tempted by the stereo 160 super hpc race 2015 purely due to the pike forks, rather than the fox talas found on the other models but they seem to be out it stock everywhere.

Saw last years 160 super hpc sl with 20% off (£2800 instead of £3700) in size 16 inch only and was tempted by that, but I think I’ll go for the 160 race 2015 in an 18 inch.

Thanks again guys.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

I’m not sure on the 160 HPC tbh, I know my 140 HPA Pro isn’t due until feb, but some are due much sooner.
    I don’t want to get in trouble so can’t advise you to ring the shop tomorrow & ask, but any Cube dealer can ring & get the latest times.

wiggles
    Free Member

Why not go to a shop and sit on some.

blahblahblah
    Free Member

Pics when you get it!

For the money they are a hell of a bike. I know a couple of people who are very satisfied with theirs.

Enjoy 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Cube Stereo Frame Size – Help Desperately Needed!’ is closed to new replies.