Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 330 total)
  • Cube Reaction 29er ?? Any good?
  • velomanic
    Free Member

I bought an old Ford Mondeo estate to carry mine 😀

Like gsp1984 said, carbon fibre is layered to be very strong under specific loads and stresses but can fail if subjected to forces / load directions outside of its intended design.

If you have to clamp it, make sure it’s well wrapped up and don’t over do it!

stevewhyte
    Free Member

I can see why using mechanical clamps could crush a tube if misused, but using ties would not damage the tubes and the weight of the bike would not either. At worse it might scratch the paint.

I might look at buying a false top tube, will probably help the bike sit more level given the sloping tube.

jwmlee
    Free Member

not hugely strong when subjected to force from angles they were not designed for

Yip!

Need to be very careful with carbon for this reason. Lots of damage caused by car racks. Also repair stands.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stevewhyte
    Free Member

jwmlee – Member

Need to be very careful with carbon for this reason. Lots of damage caused by car racks. Also repair stands.

Mostly on Internet Chat forums.

velomanic
    Free Member

Classic (from the above link):

“If you dont have enough room on the back seat for your pride and joy because the wife’s coming along as well, leave her behind”

jwmlee
    Free Member

Just ordered mine – 29 GTC SL from MHW Bike House – £1585 including delivery.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

I have to sit tight for another 2 weeks to get mine…

bugcab
    Free Member

Jwmlee, do not get too excited as you are likely to get an email tomorrow telling you that MHW do not have the bike and will not be able to source more this season. I did after ordering a week ago. To their credit they were quick with the refund!

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Bugcab did you find another source?

bugcab
    Free Member

I have a 19″ due for delivery in a couple of weeks but having tried both in the the pro I really want a 17″. The top tube is just a tad long for me on the 19″. That is available at cost to anyone who wants it.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Go for a 50mm Stem. There is only about 20mm of extra length with the 19″

bugcab
    Free Member

Hmmm, may be a good way round the problem, I rode both frames today and found the 19″ really ungainly and I was stretched out a bit more than I like. I would otherwise be looking for a layback post on the 17″ that i bought today. Or i can return it within 21 days if I can resist taking it out for a ride over the weekend!

stevewhyte
    Free Member

So you have a 17″ right now but also a 19″ on order, thats just plain greedy.

bugcab
    Free Member

Not Greedy, Cautious… I have a 17″ pro as that was all I could find but then told a 19″ sl was coming in end of April so put a deposit on it. I would rather have the sl in a 17″ but guess I am lucky to have the offer of one at all. The 17″ pro can still be returned, or supplied at cost to anyone who is struggling to find one of those (if I get the 19″ sl). Guess I could just stick with the lower spec and perfectly decent pro but the call of full xt and better wheels/forks is irresistable, especially when the Financial Controller (Mrs) is cool with the cost of the sl!

This is my first new mountain bike for 20 years. Having left regular riding for a long while I started up again late last year on my 1992 Orange P7 full rigid. Upgraded with new brakes, cables and shifters she is still great fun but not so comfy over all surfaces. For that reason I am keen to end up with the right cube as on my historical rate of bike purchases it could be my last new bike!

jwmlee
    Free Member

Will see. Thanks for the tip off. Was getting conflicting responces re delivery week. Ordered a 19″ SL.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

I see, good for you. I wanted the SL but went for the Pro as thats all i could get, looking at the spec its not much reduced, i am changing the 3×10 for a 2×10 XT chainset and putting on the xt shifters. Means i dont have to ditch a perfectly good XT triple chainset.

The wheels look very good on the pro the Alex rims and Dt spoke combination on XT hubs will be good. Its an are for upgrading in the future, something i would have done with the Sl wheels too anyway.

There really is sod all difference between the SID and Reba forks.

Plue i prefer the blue, so its a win win for me.

Looks like jwmlee might snap up the SL off you.

tony24
    Free Member

Bugcab if no one else has asked would it be possible to have first refusal on the 19″ sl i live in kent so only down the road from you. Could settle up deposit with you then pay balance at shop. Thats if you decide not to keep it.

My email address is tony18@hotmail.co.uk if you would like to contact me.

Cheers

compkiler
    Free Member

I got mine yesterday 🙂 woohooo happy days!! 17” SL !!

velomanic
    Free Member

Good news compkiler!

I did 52 miles on mine today, it’s a truly great bike!

Enjoy 😀

blablablacksheep
    Free Member

id be tempted to get a Grand Canyon 29er
    http://www.canyon.com/_uk/mountainbikes/bike.html?b=2546

Pretty dam good spec for that price, it might be alloy but it ant no heavy bike..

razor

Has anyone in the 5’9″ – 5’10” height range got one yet? My LBS say the Cube 29ers are a little short so I need a 19″ whereas all my 26″ bikes are 17.5″. I’d hate to go to all this trouble and end up with the wrong size.

bugcab
    Free Member

I am over 5’9″ but not 5’10” and my 17″ fits a treat. I tried 19 and top tube reach was a little long, shorter stem would probably sort it. Been out for a great ride today after a gentle riverside excursion yesterday. Have to say the bike has been a revelation. Rides superbly, balance is great and felt so at home after just half an hour. One thing of concern was the play in front forks so popped back to lbs this eve……. Broken!

Yep, the lower bearing seat is cracked very badly. Not pleased at all, have to say this looks to me like a weak spot as there really is very little to this part of the frame. Have to say though, held up well down some very rough downhill singletrack.

velomanic
    Free Member

Ouch, that’s not good 🙁

What are they doing about it?

velomanic
    Free Member

Any of you guys fitted a chainstay protector?

If so, what make?

compkiler
    Free Member

Yep just got this one…
    http://www.stif.co.uk/mtb/product/cube-neoprene-chainstay-protector-hardtail/10547

Its quite tight though but does fit if you stretch it right over!

gsp1984
    Free Member

I have the cube one, its a very tight fit but does a good job of protecting the frame… worrying to hear of another broken carbon cube.

My first cube was alloy and it bent after 6 weeks, they did ship a replacement frame to my LBS within 2 days of the LBS saying it wasn’t right though.

Went round the 22miles Dalby red route on sunday… damn that place is rough… only ever ridden it on a 160mm five previously lol… worlds apart.

plodtv
    Free Member

A friend said he spotted one at cwmcarn at Friday, was that any of you lot? Any more pictures in the wild? 😀

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Should have mine tomorrow, happy days!!!

plodtv
    Free Member

I just got the same message, mine should be dispatched tomorrow. Bloody shame I’m off to Thailand on Thursday, but yay 😀

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Good stuff, i will hopefully get out tomorrow even if its just for a short spin.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

I have it.

Very happy. Out for a very short spin. Bike is great.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Right try and add some pics!!!!

[/url]

Or not!!!!

🙄

velomanic
    Free Member

That’s a fine looking bike! Enjoy 😀

Like the Garmin mount!

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Cheers i like to have the garmin a bit out in front and in the middle.

p.s. any idea on how to post pics rather than just a link?

velomanic
    Free Member

Click on the ‘IMG’ tab and paste the url of the pic into it works for me.

Hmmm, just tried it with one of your Flickr pic url’s and I can’t get it to work either 🙁

Anyone else?

druidh
    Free Member

100_0335 by stevewhyte, on Flickr

druidh
    Free Member

Go to Flickr
    Hit “Share” above the photo
    Do the “Grab HTML/BBCode”
    Hit the BBCode button
    Copy the text in the box
    Paste it here
    No IMG tags required – they are in the text copied from Flickr.

There are other/quicker ways of doing it, but that preserves the link to the original, so you can post one image and folk can click on it to take them to the original – and the rest of your images.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Thanks druidh.

100_0326 by stevewhyte, on Flickr

100_0323 by stevewhyte, on Flickr

gsp1984
    Free Member

Just in tweeks cycles, they have a few in stock. Including a nice 19″ reaction gtc SL

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 330 total)

The topic ‘Cube Reaction 29er ?? Any good?’ is closed to new replies.