Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 330 total)
  • Cube Reaction 29er ?? Any good?
  • tony24
    Free Member

That looks quality ! God damnit I want 1 😕

compkiler
    Free Member

Wowers 🙂 that looks amazing 🙂 cant wait for mine now! I know where there are 2 more in stock btw and thats all thats left in the UK :-)!!
    The Germany company have no more in stock btw so i wouldnt bother with them. I tried 🙁

Great picture of urs tho fella!

compkiler
    Free Member

There both in size 17 frame though which suits me down to the ground being 5ft 7 🙂

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Mine is going to be 17″

When is your due to arrive compkiller?

compkiler
    Free Member

Well my deposit is down and i should have the full amount in 2 weeks time! Just waiting for some cash from someone. 🙂

compkiler
    Free Member

How tall are you out of interest Steve?

stevewhyte
    Free Member

5’7″

Have tried one of the Alu Cube 29ers and it felt fine, geometry of the Carbon is much the same.

On holiday for 2 weeks next week so wanting it to come asap!!!

jwmlee
    Free Member

@velomanic How is the fork? Much flex? Why did you put flats on it?

stevewhyte
    Free Member

I have a SID on my Whyte, its deffo got a bit of flex in it but nothing serious, i got used to it pretty quickly. Standard was a Recon which while Stiff was very heavy.

I cant see there being much difference between the SID and Reba to be honest.

plodtv
    Free Member

@velomanic do you have anymore pics, I am excited for mine now.

velomanic
    Free Member

@plodtv: More pics 🙂

Collecting from my LBS.

Just before the first ride.

Making the most of the local amenities!

@jwmlee:

I’ve hardly noticed any fork flex and I was out on some rocky stuff today, all good up front 🙂

I know it’s controversial but I prefer flats, I’ve had more moments when I’ve been glad to be on flats than I have wishing I was clipped in. I’m not saying that SPD’s are bad, just not for me.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Right stop it with the pics until i get mine thanks. 😉

Fingers crossed for next week.

Bike looks great BTW.

Im hoping its going to be a bit of a fitness compensator for me.

jwmlee
    Free Member

@velomanic. If flats are what you like then you have every right to use them! The great thing about bikes is you can customise them the way you like them.

I rode flats on my GTC Pro 26 for about six months before going to spd. Really like them now but they did feel pretty scary at first.

A tip: carbon downtubes can be a little vulnerable to rocks flicking up from the front wheel. My second carbon frame was damaged beyond repair in this way. A cheap plastic crud catcher can help deflect some of this.

Happy riding!

stevewhyte
    Free Member

I have bought some Heli Tape from Aldi to stick on the bike when it comes.

Am i right in saying that the frame does not have the bosses to attach the crud catcher? Just got to attach it with Velcro.

velomanic
    Free Member

@jwmlee – Good man & thanks for the crud-catcher tip 🙂

@stevewhyte – That’s right, no bosses on the underside of the downtube (see below)…

stevewhyte
    Free Member

You should try the Heli Tap from Aldi

plodtv
    Free Member

Thank you very much for pics, I haven’t been this excited since I ordered it in January.

What is the remote lockout like, useful or just a gimmick, easily used/to tell if its on or not?

stevewhyte
    Free Member

I use the remote lockout often on the 26″ SIDs, so much so that i often have them locked out when they should be loose.

plodtv, do you have a delivery date?

bugcab
    Free Member

Wowers that looks amazing cant wait for mine now! I know where there are 2 more in stock btw and thats all thats left in the UK :-)!!
    The Germany company have no more in stock btw so i wouldnt bother with them. I tried

I have tried everywhere without luck. Can still track down the pro but no sl. Any chance of sharing you knowledge compkiller?

plodtv
    Free Member

Second week in April at last delivery bump.

Fwiw I ordered at http://www.biker-boarder.de/shopware/shopware.php but none there anymore

gsp1984
    Free Member

Got my Reaction GTC SL 26″ at the weekend, done 40 miles on it this week already including 23 miles in 1hr 30min last night, I love it, so light…

I was tempted by the 29er but the difficulty in getting one, and the what felt like (to me) slow acceleration, particularly uphill put me off a little.

Very happy with my 26″er though, you cant go wrong with carbon cubes whatever the size 8)

compkiler
    Free Member

Theres one bike shop in Essex, cant remember the name tbh and Cycle Surgery have 1 more in stock.

gsp1984
    Free Member

How are you guys transporting your carbon frames?

I have a couple of thule 591s… the user manual specifically says not to clamp the frame though, even though the area it would clamp onto is super thick.

I think I’ll be sticking it in the back for until I can get my hands on a 561

tony24
    Free Member

anyone know where to get a 19″ ?

velomanic
    Free Member

@plodtv – I’ve found the remote lockout to be very useful, there’s a bit of movement left in the forks when locked out so it soaks up the small stuff when you’re climbing / on the road etc.

I ordered a Cube chainstay protector (£7.99 from CRC) last night, the sound of the chain slapping the carbon keeps making me cringe!

What psi are people running in the SID’s?

stevewhyte
    Free Member

bugcab if you can get the Pro go for it.

I am sticking a 2×10 XT chainset and XT shifters on mine, other than that the spec on the bike is fab. Plus a cheey wee £300 saving to go towards a set of Cobalt 3 29ers wheels 8)

Mine is due for End of March delivery. Wait a min, isnt that now!!

gsp1984
    Free Member

82kg and running 125psi in the positive and negative end of the rockshox SID fork as per the recommendation on the fork sticker, sag is perfect.

plodtv
    Free Member

What are the breaks like guys, have read good reviews about them just never had a set of them or played with them myself.

bugcab
    Free Member

Tracked down a pro from cycle surgery as they have just had a few delivered to their warehouse, available now if any one else is looking.

stanleigh
    Free Member

Ok Chaps , heads up . I’ve been riding the GTC Pro 29er composite for a month now , so I can answer some of your questions.

Frame size – I’m 6ft (34″) leg & the med is spot on . Comfort – riding position is faultless , the composite frame seems to pass on less shock & vibration than an aluminium one ( big thumbs up !)

I also fancied the sram 2×10 set up , but I can’t fault the XT 3X10.

The formula brakes would be my only slight criticism , they’re powerful enough , but lack the ‘feel’ of say avid elixirs , tend to be a bit ‘ clunky ‘.

Wheels seem fine , light & stiff – DT Swiss , not being a brand I have experience of , we’ll wait & see how long they last.

I’m 100kg & the forks on 160 psi are good .

Schwabe tyre combo , is the combo I use already , so happy with that!

But why am I telling you all this ? If you haven’t got one yet , it doesn’t look like you will !

I don’t think next years model will be as good value , now Cube have created a demand & reputation for this bike . Looks like they under priced this one to get their foot in the door & get people talking !

velomanic
    Free Member

They’ve certainly done a good job of that!

According to my LBS, the Cube rep said that they’d actually manufactured 10% over what their market research suggested and it still wasn’t enough to cope with demand.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Exactly why i decided to go for one, it seems to me like Cube were pricing their bikes very low and would probably alter the spec/price in future years.

SL or Pro, they are great bikes on paper, i hope they live up to it.

Im sure it will given what others have said.

ojom
    Free Member

Wouldn’t say they are low priced on purpose. They are priced realistically when other brands maybe aren’t.

One of the issues has been poor sales predictions for 2012 across the industry based on previous trade. Cube are sensible about our pre orders so there are not containers of bikes left over every year.

Some brands are still clearing 2011 while discounting 2012 new bikes.

The saying of its better looking for it rather than at it applies well in this instance.

gsp1984
    Free Member

Just ordered a Thule 561 for carrying the carbon beast. Annoying as I have 3 x 591s but it’s not worth the risk. I’ve already bent one cube frame, I don’t want any warranty issues with the carbon one.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

I was going to use my Saris Bones RS, whats the problem with your carrier?

gsp1984
    Free Member

The cube carbon manual says specifically not to clamp or mount cycle carriers to the carbon frame. The Thule 591 clamps to the down tube. The 561 is fork mounted and specifically for sensitive / carbon frames so I went for that.

I would say the saris clamps and rests on the top tube, so I would be reluctant to use that too.

I’ve been through one warranty claim with cube frames, if they can see any consistent marks on the frame where it’s clearly been on a cycle carrier they have advised against then it gives them an excuse to pull out of a warranty claim.

For the sake of £100 on top of a £1800 bike, may as well treat the frame as they recommend.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Its hard to imagin why the bike sitting on a bike rack would damage the frame.

gsp1984
    Free Member

Seen as there is racks specifically design for carbon bikes… And the manual says not to do it… I imagine there’s logic behind it.

From having carbon kayaks, they were strong for their intended purpose, but not hugely strong when subjected to force from angles they were not designed for.

I’m going to listen to the manual though personally, you pay your money, you take your chances lol. I’m not risking it 😀

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Thats a roof carrier, i need something on the rear.

I guess i will take my chances.

Oh living on the edge, quite exiting.

compkiler
    Free Member

Just get a van 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 330 total)

The topic ‘Cube Reaction 29er ?? Any good?’ is closed to new replies.