Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Cube Race Hardtail Carbon or Aluminium Frame
  • homebrewjunkie
    Free Member

I’ve been looking for a new race hardtail and have settled on the Cube Reaction HPA Pro 29 or Reaction GTC Pro 29. Both bikes are very similar in terms of components. Main difference is the forks and brakes, which I’m not so bothered about. Both bikes weight the same but one has a carbon frame and the other a alu frame.

I’m torn with which is better, alu or carbon? I’ve checked the cube website and noticed that they offer a 6 year frame gaurantee on the alu frame but only 2 years on the carbon, which I think tells you something.

Anyone got any experience or reasons why I should choose the carbon frame over the alu one?

Cheers

mtbtomo
    Free Member

I have this same query….

The reviews on the Cube alu 29er frames normally say they’re somewhat stiff and uncompromising race frames but I haven’t ridden one.

I rode a carbon Cube 29er a couple of weekends ago and that felt pretty solid. More solid through the saddle than the carbon Scott Scale I also tried….

The man from Cube said they stiffness test each frame. If you crash it you can send it back and they can analyse whether its damaged by comparing the stiffness recorded at manufacture with the stiffness post-crash. He also said they exceed the required European impact standards (?) by about a factor of 3 or 4.

b45her
    Free Member

tis true, cube carbon frames are tested to 4 times the euro impact standards.

scotroutes

Check availability before setting your heart on one. Cube tend not to make a whole load of these.

homebrewjunkie
    Free Member

A friend that I race with recently purchased the Reaction GTC SL 29 which is the high end model (altho I believe its the same carbon frame on the cheaper models too)and has managed to severely crack the frame under the bottom bracket after a few months of riding. It might just be a freak accident but I don’t think an alu frame would ever crack in that way.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

i’ve got a cube carbon reaction in carbon, it’s a beauty.

jn49
    Free Member

I’ve got a carbon reaction and I love it. Its very stiff, direct, accelerates easily and carries the speed. It climbs really well (for me) which is my weakest area of riding and hence is probably my fastest overall bike. With regard to strength, I am about 108kg and am pretty hard on my kit usually, but having ridden it more as a trail bike, rather than for pure XC, I have not had any problems with it, despite clattering through wrong lines. Because it is so stiff, you always know when you have ridden it as there is a bit of dull back ache, but it’s worth it for the sensation of speed and how quick it covers the ground compared to my other bikes, for which you sacrifice some comfort. You won’t be disappointed, if you want an responsive, racy ride.

homebrewjunkie
    Free Member

How long have you had the bike?
    I thought that he point of carbon was that it should usually be lighter. But in this case as the 2 models weight the same I’m undecided. Did you choose the carbon for the stiffness?
    Cheers

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Did you say the forks and brakes were different? There could easily be enough difference in those components to cancel out the weight saving of a carbon frame.

Would have thought the alu version will have better components?

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Carbon won’t necessarily be stiffer but it seems easier to make carbon frames stiff yet generally more absorbtive of general trail buzz.

homebrewjunkie
    Free Member

the alu frame is £100 cheaper and comes with a reba air srung fork and magura mt4 brakes. the carbon frame comes with a Manitou Marvel fork and shimano deore am16 brakes. otherwise the bikes are identical…

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 I have the Cube GTC carbon.

Lovely bike. Mine is now 9kg (albeit rigid).

mrblobby
    Free Member

Tempted by a GTC Pro 29er frame here. People still liking theirs? Makes for a good XC race bike? Any reason to avoid?

windyg
    Free Member

I have a Reaction GTC SL 650b carbon, really great bike to ride, stiff but comfortable and handles really well, been racing mine for the last year so it’s been through various terrains and conditions and crashed a couple of times and is still as good as new. I have nothing negative to say about it.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Thanks. Seen reports of a few breaking, but guess that’s much the same with any frame.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Quick bump for the morning crowd. Reaction GTC anyone?

lambchop16
    Free Member

I’m trying to decide between the carbon GTC SL and the Aluminium HPA SL – mainly fire roads, etc and a bit our touring planned. Any thoughts on either?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Cube Race Hardtail Carbon or Aluminium Frame’ is closed to new replies.