Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Cube geometry vs others
  • garryfmacdonald
    Free Member

Hi all. Just tried out an XL Cube Stereo 140. Felt fine to me. Popped into another shop. They have Whyte and Trek too and they are a bit more stretched out but no XL to try out. Sat on a L G160 and it felt similar in length to the Cube but not tall enough. Do any Cube owners feel their bikes are too short? Found it hard to judge from a Tarmac pedal outside the shop!

legend
    Free Member

Ignore “S/M/L/XL” as it means nothing, especially when comparing brands. Have a look at the numbers for the bikes involved along with how they feel when on them. You’re also talking about different sorts of bike there that you would assume will feel different anyway, ‘trail’ Cube versus #enduro Whyte

z1ppy

I’ve been looking at Cube and they do seem short, eTT/reach figures, put me right off them, as I currently ride a bike with a lot bigger eTT/reach than even the biggest cube available. Trouble is a local LBS have one on sale.. hmmm.
    Little lost on your tall enough comment though, what wasn’t tall enough? (front end maybe?)

rOcKeTdOg

i ride a 19″ trek fuel but deffo a 20″ cube stereo 140, they measure by a horizontal top tube too so BB to top of seat tube on a 20″ stereo is 18″

garryfmacdonald
    Free Member

Hi z1ippy

I mean with the seat all the way up I could still comfortably put both feet on the floor. I have a 33/34 inside leg so not terribly tall, so my “not tall enough” comment was about the height of the seat from the bottom bracket I guesse.

I knackered my back too so maybe a slightly more upright pedalling position will help on the cube.

z1ppy

That unusual, though tbf I think 33/34 is slightly long inside leg than most, as I’m 6ft odd with a 32″. I am surprised you couldn’t get the seat posts up high enough on the G-160 though, I own a ‘medium’ Whyte HT which is fine for me, so wouldn’t expect issues on a Large. This could be quickly resolved with a longer seat post or longer travel dropper post (depending on what was fitted). I do know that Whyte have gone really long on the eTT’s this year, so may not be the best to compare the cube with though..
    With your longer inside leg, that bit more post will increase how far away you are from the front of the bike, so maybe a cube would work for you. TBH I think it takes a bit of time to get used to a changes in geo, like a longer eTT, so a short(ish) demo doesn’t really sell it that well. I moved up in sizing (L to XL, that medium was weird sizing), as I looked at my previous bikes eTT, my stem length and the seat being so far back on the rails, I wasn’t in the efficient position over the BB.
    You back situation may well be elevated by a short TT, only you can tell if you comfortable and that more important than an efficient position.

garryfmacdonald
    Free Member

My current bike is a Giant Reign so maybe it was just the bike feeling different too. My Reign is pretty paid back and I have a laid back Thomson elite seat post on it too. Maybe the Cube is where I should’ve been sitting for the last few years! Just like you say Z1ippy, sounds like a near identical situation . The shop Dales is 40 miles away though so will have to arrange another visit to sit on it again before I am due to pick it up (wiring on CyclePlus voucher coming through).

andy4d

I have a med cube hardtail. If I am honest the bike is a bit on the small side but I like that, heck I even put a shorter stem on it 😀 But as I have a crap back in liked the more upright feel this gave and was fine for my abilities. BUT after a few years and as I get more keen on the downhills I do find this upright position not so good, so my next bike will be bigger and longer to suit what I ride these days. Guess it depends on loads of factors. I have sat on a fair few bikes recently and was amazed at how different they all felt. Sling yer leg over one and if it feels right..buy it.

windyg
    Free Member

Cube bikes do come up short both on the road and mtb, I have both as they suit me well. As above don’t go by the frame size but look at the numbers and try and get a ride on one.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Cube geometry vs others’ is closed to new replies.