Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Cube Brake Problem
  • tinahutchings
    Free Member

I have had to return my new CUBE Access to the dealer three times because of intermittent disc brake ‘squeal’ and the problem is still not solved. Has anyone else had the same problem, got a suggested solution?

chojin
    Free Member

Brakes usually squeal because of contamination, i.e. Dirt on the pads and discs- its quite normal

coatesy
    Free Member

Often due to contamination, do you use spray lubes that could leave a mist near the bike, or maybe wash it with car shampoo that contains wax.Could also be due to glazing if you tend to drag your brakes down long hills rather than using them in short bursts, or simply mis-alignment of the caliper causing the disct to flex because the pads aren’t hitting it square and even.Solutions- make sure the caliper is aligned perfectly, de-glaze the pads and rotor using 180 grit wet or dry paper, and if you suspect they’re contaminated then try new pads on a cleaned (use washing up liquid, and rinse well)and de-glazed rotor.

tinahutchings
    Free Member

Thanks for your comments. However, after having had the pads deglazed, rotors cleaned, breaks re set and front hub checked within 50 metres of leaving the shop the squeal was back worse than ever and continuous. Needles to say it’s back in the work shop awaiting new components from Cube which may take up to two weeks! I am not happy. likely cause leaking hydraulics?

coatesy
    Free Member

Possibly, though new shimano brakes leaking is very rare.

tinahutchings
    Free Member

Ummm, sadly I have to rely on the fact that the mechanics in the shop know what they are doing. Intend to visit the store again tomorrow and then maybe I will contact Cube myself….then trading standards… unfortunately I am getting more angry each day. I would have expected a bike that cost in excess of £1000 not to have had such a major problem.

coatesy
    Free Member

No matter how much you spend, things sometimes go wrong and can take a few attempts to rectify them. Believe me when I tell you that your mechanic would prefer to fix it first time than have you coming back for another attempt.

chojin
    Free Member

^^ What he said…

Have a look around for the thread about the £3000 Whyte that had frame issues.
    Price isn’t necessarily an indication of reliability.

Although, yes I agree, it it bloody annoying when you’ve spent a lot of your hard earned dosh on something that doesn’t work right!

epicyclo

Every disc brake I’ve had has squealed at some point. I don’t regard it as a warranty problem.

The squeal can be got rid of, but there’s lots of ways for it to sneak back (depending on where/how you ride), and so long as it’s not dragging, I don’t worry about it.

desburns
    Free Member

Never mind a bit of brake noise i could handle that!

Bought my bike dec,1 ,2010 tomac automatic 120 .

So far new Bottom bracket (1st one started to wobble and creek and crach after 3 months, 2 weeks of the road)

Sent the rear shifter back to sram twice as that was faulty (2 weeks more of the road)
    R
    ear casette/hub rusting/ sticking like a fixed bike.

Snapped a spoke +wheel wobble.

Headset now started with a bit of play.

you take mine ill take yours!

Squeeling brakes that is!

tinahutchings
    Free Member

I need to stress that the break squeal is not just the irritation noise that occurs when breaks are dirty or need adjusting. It is a constant high pitched resonating whistle that causes dogs to bark and humans to stare into space waiting for the immanent landing of a space ship and for the guy in the shop to say ” How could you cycle with that noise it would have done my head in”

I now it’s not the Bike, I love my Cube and it would not put me of getting another one it’s just a shame that mine is the one that got the ‘Friday afternoon’ component.

epicyclo

Presumably this is only when you put the brakes on.

dmjb4
    Free Member

The word is “brakes” not “breaks”. It also seems a little harsh to start talking about trading standards, and blaming the bike manufacturer, when you are suffering from a common problem that impacts every type of disc brake. The source of the problem is, as you say, probably Friday afternoon quality control in either the bike shop or your own home.

If it’s all aligned properly, try going for a bike ride. This problem is likely to resolve itself once the pads have bedded in.

tinahutchings
    Free Member

No, sadly it is constant resonating high pitched whistle that really needs to be heard to to be believed and not the common problem that impacts every type of disc brake. However, after a visit to the cycle shop this morning for a technical update my husband was told that Cube will be replacing the faulty brake components.

antandshar
    Free Member

Hi, I have the same problem. I have the Cube Attention 2011 and the brake noise is terrible! It screeches so much that I have put it up for sale on several websites. I only bought this bike 4 months ago and now wish I had kept my Specialized mtb. The dealers keep telling me it will go away, but i’ve now had enough. I’ve sanded the pads, cleaned the rotors, changed the alignment of the brakes and even rubbed the rotors down with wet and dry and none of it has worked.I’m now too embarassed to go out on the bike.

tinahutchings
    Free Member

At last someone who can appreciate what I have been talking about, and you are right it is embarrassing, and very disappointing when you think that you have upgraded to a better bike. If your bike is still in warranty keep taking it back, or contact Cube Direct. Cube have agreed that mine is a warranty issue. I am sure that they would rather put it right than have the likes of me and you complaining to all who will listen.

It would be a shame to lose money by selling your bike, how about replacing the components yourself if it is out of warranty? You could also seek advise from your local trading standards office.

Many thanks to all that have given practical advice but I would not be confident in attempting complicated bike maintenance myself. I would rather leave it to the local dealer.

epicyclo

It would be interesting to establish what is actually causing the noise. Presumably the brakes are working ok and the bike shop has done all the usual checks on the brake.

If it was my bike, I’d try a very thin smear of silicon behind each pad, or change the disc itself. It could well be the pattern of holes contributing to the noise.

The only silent brake I know is a drum brake.

Frankers
    Free Member

antandshar – Member

Hi, I have the same problem. I have the Cube Attention 2011 and the brake noise is terrible! It screeches so much that I have put it up for sale on several websites. I only bought this bike 4 months ago and now wish I had kept my Specialized mtb

I have had pretty bad rear brake problems with my Specialized SJ Evo’s rear brake which seems a common problem on this bike, but of course no one wants to admit this.

Resolved myself but putting on a spare rotor (different shape) from another bike.

hs125
    Free Member

My front brake sometimes decides that it wants to ‘sing’ ie make a continuous high pitched note when its not being used, espescially at low speeds. Riding faster is the obvious solution, but the best thing to make it go away is to just do some heavy braking on a downhill section to get it nice and warm, then it’s fine for the rest of the ride.

tinahutchings
    Free Member

Tried riding faster but that just generated noise of higher pitch, I am also sure that the bike mechanic used a re seating kit some where in the noise eliminating process. It has been accepted that it is a warranty issue possibly leaking hydraulics and the components are going to be replaced. I will post the autopsy report when the job is done.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Cube Brake Problem’ is closed to new replies.