Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • cube ams 120 29er
  • boxelder

Anyone have one?
    What are their ride characs – quick but a bit dull maybe.
    What size are you on?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Resurrect. Anyone?

jimcollins67
    Free Member

I had a ams 120 race 29er…. just sold it to my mate this week and bought a cube stereo 29er….

Great bike to ride, well i thought so anyway. Mate has just been out to Glentress on it this morning, he loves it…
    Fantastic bike to climb on, in fact fantastic bike all around. The only real changes made to it was a wider bar, but that was down to personal choine.
    Drop me an e-mail if you want more info…

Jim

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Spent just over 5 hours demoing one today in the Surrey Hills. Standard set up except for dropper post and wider wheels (2.35). That was the most fun that I have had on a trail bike to date especially going downhill. Negative reviews point to small cockpit, but that suited me (surprisingly) and I felt much more centered than on bikes such as Fuel EX and stumpys. I am new to that much travel (real and perceived due to 29 and flattish tyres) as I have only ever owned XC HTs. So the comfort of the ride and ability to smash tricky sections was a big bonus. Really enjoyed the well-known SH trails (which I tend to avoid) and it felt faster than other trail bikes I have demoed. Much easier to manual than other bikes demoed too and easy to flick around.

The only time my smile disappeared was climbing on it. Even in C of CTD this felt much harder work climbing that I am used to (not that surprising) but the marketing blurb talks about all day epics on it. Maybe I just need to get fitter but I was totally shagged after about 41/2 hours and facing the return from Holmbury to Pitch. That must be the slowest I have ever ridden the Greensand Way section past High Ashes Farm. The up-side was arriving pretty shot at the final descent down summer lightening, the quality of the bike took over. Point, relax, and let the technology take over….so that is what is meant by skills compensation!!! 😉

Also bottomed the suspension on the early drop on BKB which seemed odd?

For shorter sessions with lots of downhill, this would be great. Not so sure if it’s correct (for me) when there is lots of climbing to do. But certainly a bike that puts a smile on our face.

(As an aside, that was first experience of CTD forks. Ok, nice and simple but I would prefer a better lockout for climbing personally)

boxelder

I had an hour on the cheaper version myself today. Agreed that climbing was more of a drag, but the frame and forks were impressively stiff and downhill it encouraged speed. The model I tried had pretty hefty wheels. Demoing the race model in a 2″ larger size in a couple weeks.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Boxedler, yep I would agree on the downhill fun for sure. Is the race model the HPS XC bikes? FWIW, I am demoing a trance and anthem 29er this week. I expect the trance to be quite similar but hoping that it is a better climber. I have demoed the anthem before, but want to see if I would miss those extra inches of travel and bashability!!

boxelder

No, the race is full xt and better wheels and bolt thru fork
    Testing the carbon stereo 140 29er too – bank manager hoping it’s not as fun as it looks.
    Sounds like you need the mid price canyon – 12kg, crossmax wheels, 110 front and rear.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Canyons are tempting, but experience has told me that bike fitting is a v personal thing. Bike mag reviews have rarely corresponded with my own experience, so it would be too big a risk for me to buy untried.

FuzzyWuzzy

You can always return Canyons, just a small bit of admin hassle sorting it but could be well worth it for the savings

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Boxelder – just been looking at the Race version. Looks nice and you couldn’t mince anything with that color scheme!!

boxelder

Colour? I assume you’re looking at ‘Race Green’?
    There’s a black one too…….

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘cube ams 120 29er’ is closed to new replies.