Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Cuba, Anyone been for a hol??
  • carlos
    Free Member

The Mrs and I are looking at holidaying in Cuba in October, so as to get her birthday in. Weather looks fair and it’s not to bad on the wallet

Anyone been that can offer some do’s and don’t do’s or any other recommends?

TIA

thehustler
    Free Member

Do go to Havana, don’t forget mozzi reorient if you got to one of the tropical hotels

loddrik
    Free Member

Been to Cayo Coco, was brilliant, best beaches of anywhere I’ve been. Cuban cuisine is far from the best however…

carlosg
    Free Member

My sister went to Varadero last year and loved it , this year they are going to Cayo Coco £1600 for two weeks all inclusive.I’m tempted to go but the flight would be too long for my kids.

EDIT: stupid mobile phone mixing stuff up! 👿

Nobby

Did 2 weeks in Varadero with a weekend trip to Havanna in the middle – one of the best holidays we’ve had. Get the right hotel & the food & drink isn’t an issue and we found the natives to be a proper friendly bunch.

carlos
    Free Member

Nice one, things look pretty good then.

@ Nobby & carlosg – Which Hotel in Varadero as thats one location were looking at? Think its the Riu the Mrs fancies.

Any hotel names for Cayo Coco as not looked at anywhere there?

Philby

Had a fabulous cycle touring holiday for 2 weeks last year – was a fantastic way to see and experience this unique country.

We did the national park area and tobacco growing area around Soroa and Vinales to the west of Havana which is stunning, and areas in the central south around Trinidad, Santa Clara and the Bay of Pigs, and also spent a couple of days in Havana.

As above food can be disappointing although we had some fabulous meals in people’s homes, and a stunning vegetarian meal in a tiny restaurant in the middle of a nature reserve.

Cycling on the motorway was an experience you won’t get in many countries, nor are the fantastic Pina Colada cocktails which were sold at one of the service stations we stopped at (can’t imagine that happening at Leicester Forest East).

I did the trip with Explore but other such as Exodus and Saddle Skeddadle also have trips. A couple of the group also stayed for a few extra days at one of the all inclusive resorts on the north coast.

Go soon before America ends its embargo and the place becomes full of McDonalds and Starbucks.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Make sure that your insurance isn’t underwritten by an American company..
    Apparently they have major issues with it?

el-Gato-Negro
    Free Member

Havana is awesome, if you stay in the right place
    Trinidad – ace
    Vinales – ace

whole country is great – its important not to go “all inclusive” you’ll see fvc all.

No time for the all inclusive/coach trip ppl.

we stayed in particulares and hung out with cubans. saw the touristy bits + got to see local stuff.

the rum is good but the food, so so.

if you get there have a good one

schnullelieber
    Free Member

what el gato negro said. You get better food in the particulares and your hosts are always really friendly. If you go to Vinales try and get a couple of days on Cayo Levisa,a few little bundalows on a little island just of the coast.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Cuba, Anyone been for a hol??’ is closed to new replies.