Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • CTC Trail MTB Leader award – anyone done?
  • vdubber67
    Free Member

Anyone on here gone through any of the CTC training courses? Couple of quick questions – what level First Aid did you do? (already asked CTC but no reply yet!) Also – out of interest, what prompted you to do the award? Are you using it now, or getting the full suite of qualifications etc?

Thanks folks

Rich

glenp
    Free Member

We (allbikedup.com, Surrey Hills) are all CTC qualified instructors and indeed are now running the instructor courses.

We believe the structure behind the scheme is excellent, and in particular the skills system is a very powerful tool for teaching every level of riding. Although we do many hundreds of beginners, plenty of much more experienced riders have had significant moments of revelation – for example one international downhiller who came to do the instructor course commented that certain elements of our beginner cornering lesson had allowed him to re-think his own technique. Obviously this is a rider on a different planet ability wise to us, but the way that the system breaks down the riding into simple elements really does get you thinking clearly.

As for first aid, we went for a mountain bike specific Rescue and Emergency Care course which was organised with the CTC and run at Llandegla. We may well run one down here at some point if there is sufficient interest.

vdubber67
    Free Member

Your website looks good. Thanks for the insight. How long was the First Aid course btw?

Ultimately I might like to get something going like you have (in another area!) but I’m at the research stage so far 🙂

glenp
    Free Member

Two day First Aid course – very good too. Tailored to mtb, so just the statutory basics for things like electrocution and drowning, and much more time spent on mtb-likely stuff – esp being incapacitated and cold.

Good luck with getting a business together – it takes time, for sure. The most valuable thing is experience. You can go through all the training, but it takes quite a while on the job to get to the point where you can spot the little details in someone’s riding etc. I’d recommend trying to shadow someone who is taking a group out (usually they would be open to the offer of a free back-marker/puncture fixer!) – although they might be a bit defensive if they think you might set up in their back yard!

neil853
    Free Member

http://www.mountainbikeinstruction.co.uk/ are the people who i did mine with last weekend just gone, excellent tuition on both the practical and thoery parts. Split over two days.

i did it because i had thought of doing a bit of skills coaching but mostly for if i led rides in the future properly, nothing set in stone though as couldn’t afford to leave the job i’ve got now. However it has left me a little more focused in that i think i would like to do a bit of skills coaching and perhaps take it up more when i semi-retire? more than anything it was an enjoyable weekend, which i was a little uncertain about as i’ve been a mountain biker for nearly 16 years, but i learnt a lot!

Trekster

I have done this;
    http://www.cyclingscotland.org/educationandtraining.aspx

And this;
    http://www.scuonline.org/disciplineinfo.asp?Discipline=15&PageContent=Discipline_Info_SMBLA

because that`s what my local Ed/Council recognise.

Also fits in with Go-Ride;
    http://www.steppingstanes.co.uk/
    We are currently working with FE and have contacted Community Council to assist us with developing a community forest skills area in a forest 2miles from nearest town with Sustrans links.

I get to assist and deliver cycle skills to schools/kids in my area as part of the schools health week initiatives and general exercise schemes. All within the confines of the school grounds

We do not deliver(yet)Cycling proficiency.

ATM this is all voluntary stuff but networking for the future possibility of becoming redundant.

Mackem

Havent done one (yet), but I like the look of this…

WE ARE PEAK LEADERS

neil853
    Free Member

that whistler one looks awesome! if only i didn’t have commitments 🙄

vdubber67
    Free Member

neil853. Getting confused with the MIAS one vs the CTC Trail Leader…I take it they’re different courses / accreditations?

neil853
    Free Member

From what i’ve been told they are both accredited courses, simply by different bodies. The MIAS one is accredited by the ABC awards board that are affiliated by NVQ, all these abbreviations!

The MIAS one i’ve just done is accepted by schools, MOD and local authorities, i know this because all of those were on my last course! there are varying levels though and are age dependant (kids or adults).

I’d give the guy Ray a ring, he won’t bull shit you and will give you honest advice, even if the course you need isn’t what he offers. i asked what i should do next and he basically said that unless i was wanting to take kids out i wouldn’t need much else, i think just to add to my own CV i will do my WGL award then my level 3 (i’ve just done 2)

vdubber67
    Free Member

Nice one – cheers!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘CTC Trail MTB Leader award – anyone done?’ is closed to new replies.