Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • CTC or BritishCycling
  • monkeyfiend
    Free Member

After being knocked off my bike yesterday morning, I've had people recommend I get a bit of cover, CTC is the one I've heard of, but 'crazy-legs' mentioned BritishCycling.org. BC seems to be aimed more at competative cyclist where as I mainly commute and do some light xc, however they also include personal accident insurance and I couldnt find that on the CTC membership. BC is more expensive but I think its affordable for the cover.
    What about the rest of the commuters out there?

AndyP
    Free Member

BC personally. Excellent legal support as well as insurance.

alexpalacefan

CTC provide 3rd party insurance which is excellent. Also legal advice.

Most inportantly they are effective advocates for all cyclists, lobying Govt, councils et c. The ongoing SMIDSY (Sorry Mate I Didn't See You) campaign is aimed at avoiding accidents like yours.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    crazy-legs

British Cycling do something called an "Everyday Cycling" membership package which is aimed at commuters and doesn't offer the Racing Licence options. It's £24/year and offers pretty much the same benefits as CTC (which is £36/year)

http://new.britishcycling.org.uk/membership/article/mem–Membership—the-full-details-0

The Gold package is the only one that offers the personal insurance but TBH the included public liability usually covers most things and the rest is often available on whatever life insurance (or even home insurance) you may have anyway.

BC members get an extra 10% off at Wiggle as well… 😉

29erKeith
    Free Member

I joined BC (Silver) yesterday after reading monkeyfiend's other thread

I commute everyday and your thread just made me think what if!
    £36 seems worth it, fingers crossed the only thing I need to use is the 10% wiggle discount

monkeyfiend best of luck with your claim

rootes1

don't get legal help etc with BC's bronze package

samuri
    Free Member

Ooh that reminds me, I need to get the silver package so I can go racing at the velodrome. The silver package comes with an effective 'day license' you can use at lots of BC sponsered events.

traildog
    Free Member

I've been in both and I always feel I'm getting more when in the CTC, if only because I get a magazine which keeps me informed of what they're up to etc. I was far more aware of what discounts I was entitled to for being a member. I'm now in British cycling as I'm racing, I believe their legal support is excellent and that's about all I can say about it.

StirlingCrispin

The CTC is the organisation that campaigns for YOUR rights as a cyclist – whether on-road or off-road.

Join it 🙂

crazy-legs

don't get legal help etc with BC's bronze package

Bronze is actually aimed at race organisers but anyone joining a BC-affiliated cycle club is automatically given a 1-yr free Bronze membership in order to allow them to get a provisional racing licence and "try it out" – if they like it they buy a Silver or Gold, if they don't like it then it hasn't cost them anything.
    It's not aimed at commuters – that's what the Everyday Cycling package is for.

TBH you won't go wrong with either. Join BC and you're helping to support world class athletes, grass roots cycle sport, coaching for kids etc.
    CTC are a bit more advocacy based – cycling in general, the SMIDSY campaign, rights of access that sort of thing.

rootes1

<<don't get legal help etc with BC's bronze package

Bronze is actually aimed at race organisers but anyone joining a BC-affiliated cycle club is automatically given a 1-yr free Bronze membership in order to allow them to get a provisional racing licence and "try it out" – if they like it they buy a Silver or Gold, if they don't like it then it hasn't cost them anything.
    It's not aimed at commuters – that's what the Everyday Cycling package is for.>>

I know – just pointing it it out..

the other option for people is to set up a BUG at work and then use the CTC group BUG membership – cheaper though not everyone gets a mag etc

monkeyfiend
    Free Member

Sorted.
    I am now a member of BritishCycling.
    Thanks for your imput crazy-legs and the rest of you.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘CTC or BritishCycling’ is closed to new replies.