Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Car leasing – pros and cons…
  • Kryton57

Specifically about the damage clauses. I appreciate its a cheap way to a more upmarket vehicle, but with bikes to go in and out the back, what should I be nervous about?

hammyuk
    Free Member

You should see the state of the OH’s company cars boot!
    She’s never had an issue handing them back.

bearnecessities

what should I be nervous about?

Your wife finally snapping & chopping off all your limbs required to drive a car.

simmy
    Free Member

Depends on the Leasing company.

I was with one and they have now gone bust. At first they were fine about little scratches etc but, presumably as the money was running out, they got really picky.

As they were closing down, I put a stupidly low offer in for the car which they accepted so I don’t have to worry about condition now as I’m intending to run it into the ground.

Jason
    Free Member

I am on my third lease contract. In my experience they allow for fair wear and tear, but check the scheme follows the bvrla guidelines. I haven’t had any issues at the end of contract, but my first car was stolen before the contract ended (a few hassles in that, but no more than a private car), and the second I part exchanged for my current car, with the garage settling the outstanding finance, and they didn’t even look at the car.

I normally just chuck a large groundsheet in the boot before putting a bike in, and haven’t managed to damage a car yet.

I am very careful of my cars anyway, so don’t really have an issue with their lease t&cs for damage. My pay scheme for work sort of forces my to privatley lease a car for work use. We also own outright my wife’s car, but thinking of switching that to a leased car in the future.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Lease car here and not managed to scratch inside the car yet, just be careful and put clothes down.

Not sure about returning though. I’ve seen plenty of returned cars with damage invoices for outside but never inside

Kryton57

Tbh its parked next to the family car in the garage and I’m more concerned about the kids banging a door against it, or accidental scrapes costing me a fortune (I live in London, where small scrapes in shopping car parks seem to be inevitable).

simon_g

If they’re a member of the BVRLA then they have published guidelines for what is “wear and tear” and what’s chargeable damage. Google for it, most lease firms have their own version based on it.

A few marks and scratches on the sill from using the boot is fine IME, but if I’m carrying bikes then I use a tarp and/or blankets and pull that over the sill when I’m loading. Or they just go on the roof.

Drac

I’ve had loads now not once have they checked the interior before returning.

Kryton57

It’s the exterior that concerns me, as above. I’m leaning towards 2nd hand PCP now to avoid 24 months of paranoia… 😕

br
    Free Member

Tbh its parked next to the family car in the garage and I’m more concerned about the kids banging a door against it, or accidental scrapes costing me a fortune (I live in London, where small scrapes in shopping car parks seem to be inevitable).

I just buy them, and don’t give a 5h1t – just costs me when I come to sell/change, so no difference to leasing one really.

Either way, damage is damage when you come to sell/return.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Check the get out clause of any deal carefully.

You dont want to be stuck with the car or a hefty bill to get rid in times of distress.

AlanMc100
    Free Member

You need to be aware that there is a world of difference between “company car” leasing and “private” leasing.
    Most companies leasing 10’s or even 100’s of cars, set up a kind of “swings & roundabouts” agreement with their leasing company, so that it is accepted that some vehicles will be returned in great condition, and others will need a bit of work before they go off to auction, but overall, one will offset the other and the company does not get charged (unless, of course, some knacker has clearly been abusing his car beyond reasonable limits)
    After 20+ years of driving company cars, I decided about 10 years ago to go “cash-for-car” and I have leased four vehicles without ANY problems what so ever …………. BUT, I do look after my toys !!
    I regularly load bikes/camping gear/climbing gear/garden & building waste into the back of my cars …… BUT …… I do make the effort to protect the interior first. (Oh, and I NEVER kerb my alloys)
    As mentioned by othersthe BVRLA issue very clear guidelines about what is “reasonable” fair wear and tear, and what is not. Check this out, and if it seems OK to you, I would say go ahead and lease.
    If, however, you refer to your vehicle as “just a car” or even worse still “a tool”, then you probably aren’t the right sort to benefit from a personal lease.
    I hope this helps.
    Al

Flaperon

Just make sure you use one which subscribes to the BVRLA guidelines. I’ve had no issues returning cars with car park dings and the odd chip in the windscreen (repaired, but really obvious).

Accept that you might need to spend an hour with a touch up kit before they come to collect it thiugh, and I gave the local car wash £15 to valet it. Think they got s rough deal, managed to empty 2 bin bags worth of junk and rubbish out of it.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Skoda VRS 😉

hora
    Free Member

Hammyuk her Fleet manager sorts that out; negotiates, etc and I imagine the car owner ‘sells’ more to her Fleet manager.

I’ve done leasing. Never again.

Drac

It’s the exterior that concerns me

Minor damage isn’t a problem but larger damage is. Just don’t park next to BR and you’ll be fine.

Kryton57

Just make sure you use one which subscribes to the BVRLA guidelines

I found out the one I’ve been using doesn’t should I walk away? The T&C’s say the car “…must be returned within reason of fair wear and tear” but there are no guidelines as to what that means.

RoterStern
    Free Member

I had a leasing agreement with VW a few years ago. Over here in Germany the leasing companies basically want you to buy the vehicle after the contract period has run out. In our case they sent someone from the TÜV who spent about two hours going through the vehicle with a magnifying glass. Yes they do allow a certain amount of wear and tear but realistically it is way lower than the average expected on a car that age. It became more cost effective to buy it than give it back.

DaveRambo

I did some work for a leasing company a year or so ago.

Additional charges at the end of the lease are a big cause for disagreements.
    Senior chap I was working with said he always factors in the cost of a fill valet and chips away type visit to the cost.
    Makes it much easier and costs about £150 – way cheaper than what you’ll be charged if you hand it back.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Car leasing – pros and cons…’ is closed to new replies.