Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • CSA Payments Question… Calling STW Hive Mind!
  • mightymule
    Free Member

Stepson has finished GCSEs and left school. He is now doing an apprenticeship. Does anybody know if this is classed as education, or (as I suspect) employment… and therefore whether the OH can tell the money grubbing ex to do one?

For the record, we don’t begrudge the money going to the kids, and they will still get money, but we don’t feel particularly inclined to continue to pay for the ex’s beer and fags.

Junkyard
    Free Member

IIRC you used to be able to claim Child benefit when doing an apprenticeship – three years ago anyway if your kid did an apprenticeship you could but i dont know now for certain

Between 16 and 19, and registered with certain types of government-approved training courses and child benefit is in payment.

[ from CSA rules ]
    Can probably get you a definitive answer tomorrow at work

I would assume you will need to pay though

EDIT: From here
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/childbenefit/keep-up-to-date/when-child-aged-16/further-education.htm

it would appear you can get Child benefit so looks like you will be paying

3dvgirl
    Free Member

you cum, you pay!!

mightymule
    Free Member

Have looked everywhere on web, but there doesn’t seem to be any clear statement regarding paid apprenticeships – technically he will be in employment and earning a wage.

mightymule
    Free Member

From CB website:

Sandwich courses

There are two types of sandwich course:

college-based – this is where your child spends periods away from college doing practical training with their employer
    work-based – where your child is employed as an apprentice or trainee, and takes a full-time college or school course

You may be able to get Child Benefit if your child is on a college-based course but it would need to be full-time and non-advanced. You won’t qualify if your child is on a work-based course.

So I’m guessing that the likelihood is we don’t pay the ex.

In which case both the kids will get a direct debit into their own bank accounts.

I should point out that payments are not through CSA, just on a private arrangement. Te OH has been paying the ex towards both children – despite the fact that no.1 child is almost 19 and has been working and paying board for the last year…. which the ex “forgot” to mention…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘CSA Payments Question… Calling STW Hive Mind!’ is closed to new replies.