Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • crying baby – leave or pander?
  • jimmy

A couple in our block of flats had a baby about 4 months ago. Since day 1 I've never heard a baby cry so much for hours on end, and as it gets older and stronger its crying louder. I've had to close all the doors and windows in order to concentrate (on STW…).

What I'm wondering is whether there's a way of thinking in bringing up a kid that says 'just let it cry'? I swear the parents make no effort to calm or comfort it.

Stoner
    Free Member

block of flats

What you need is to have neighbours who live in a house with a cellar.

clubber
    Free Member

There is that way of thinking with some but it could just as easily be a baby that does just scream lots. Some do, regardless of how much they're comforted.

Drac

Some do it lots our second was terrible for it and still is sometimes at 2 years old. One thing do learn quickly is if they cry and no one comes is not to bother crying so the child must be getting some attention.

tankslapper
    Free Member

Its always difficult with kids. It's getting to know if it's a 'attention' cry or if the child is genuinely distressed; and boy do the little blighters know how to turn it on!

I wouldn't let a kid just cry; but you have to find the mid point between pandering and ignoring.

Your neighbours kid could be unwell, or have terrible croup constantly – could be a range of things

samuri
    Free Member

you learn the different crys. You know when they're hungry or just sleepy or need a hug or are actually in pain. Some you can let go on, to a degree, others you attend straight away.

DaRC_L

Yep it's tricky – there's the multiple rule; check for the obvious hungry, nappy change, etc… assuming all ok then leave
    if still crying check 5 minutes later; don't communicate; if all ok then leave
    If still crying check after 10 minutes; don't communicate; if all ok then leave
    repeat doubling the time between visits…
    Oh yeah and have a safe haven where you can't hear them crying 😉

aracer
    Free Member

have a safe haven where you can't hear them crying

but the neighbours still can!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘crying baby – leave or pander?’ is closed to new replies.