• This topic has 16 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Keva.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Crutches
  • ahsat

Looks like I’m going to be on crutches for a few months and after 2.5 weeks they are slightly driving me mad. I’m trying to go to work 3 days a week which involves reasonable amount of walking/various public transport.

My hands and wrists are getting sore (I have Dupuytren’s contracture in both hands which doesn’t really help) and I hate the clicky noise as a potter along. Know a few people here have spent quite a bit of time on them – did you end up modifying the NHS ones or buying yourself something better, and if so, what?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Second hand opinion said the private ones were better, others have used bar tape on the handles to ease your hands.

Megatron

I used bar tape, as I had some sitting around. Worked okay, and softened things a bit, but be prepared to get very good at re-wrapping the tape.

Have spotted things like this: soft commercial cushion thing but had the bar tape so didn’t bother.

Clicky as you walk along? It’s a sign for everyone else to get get out the way 😀

Good luck!

ahsat

How did bar tape never cross my mind…this is a good idea!

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I used pipe-lagging.

And lots of hot radox/epsom salts baths in between. Get your joints underwater. If you can get in a pool even once a week to stretch then that will help with the referred pains and strains from heavy crutch-use. Neck area especially important to keep limber. Call in some massage favours!

jonnyrobertson

I was on crutches for a while and used bar tape on the grips. As I was to be on them for a while and still wanted to get out and about I bought some “flexy foot” feet for them. They are amazing, suspension for your crutches! They made a massive difference and also make your crutches more sure footed as the foot flexes (hence their name…) on contact with the floor so all of the foot is in contact on impact so reducing the likelihood of your crutch slipping from under you. I spent so long on my crutches I managed to buff up by going to the pub most nights. Also did a half marathon on them with no problems at all.

Oh yeah, cheap, heavily padded cycling gloves also helped a great deal. Kit yourself up and get out, it’s great exercise!

ton

i suffered with 2 large blisters which turned to calluses. i used a lot of Elastoplast tape on my hands and wrists.

21 stone body weight and crutches do not make a happy marriage.
    oh, and going back on em next week for quite a while too…… 😐

ahsat

Kit yourself up and get out, it’s great exercise!

I think you have a point. Last week I was shattered but this week it seems easier and I am sure I’ve lost some weight!

Ton. Good luck. Having seen the difference it made to my Mum, I am sure you are going to reap the rewards.

metcalt

Another vote here for Pipe Lagging, it does make the grips wider though.

Be careful at this time of year, leaves on the ground and wet drain covers are not your friend!

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Borrow a wheel chair.

I broke my ankle and borrowed a wheel chair to get about on, made my life so much easier.

Speshpaul

Keep an eye on the rubber feet, they wear through and become super slippy.

jonnyrobertson

Ton, just took a quick peek at the flexyfoot site, you’re just within the weight limit for the ferrules so I’d seriously recommended some, for you too, ahsat. About 25 quid iirc, maybe extra for delivery. As metcalt said, be careful when out and about at this time of year, again the flexyfoot is your friend. I bought some for mum as well and the sure footedness is as big a boon to her as the comfort they offer. I know I sound like I work for them, I don’t,I just discovered them whilst trying to find ideas to make my crutches more comfortable but I do think they are genius. In fact, I’m not on my crutches at the moment so I have a pair of well worn flexyfoot going if anybody wants a free trial. If you like them and decide you want some just post em back to me. Winter’s coming and I want to start exercising again so I may want to call on them at some point but happy to let them go to someone who could do with some right now.

wombat

You can stop the clicky noise when moving by removing the rubber feet and replacing them with castors.

This also means that you can scoot along for several yards at a time when the ground is sufficiently even.

HTH 😉

P-Jay
    Free Member

Long term users seem to wrap the handle with some kind of cloth / sponge and then cover with tape.

ahsat

borrow a wheel chair

I need to keep using my leg and keep strength round the knee, but just needing to avoid overloading it at the moment.

Jonny. I’m googling the flexy feet now. Thanks. I did wonder if mojo did an attachment 😆 so this might be the ideal solution.

chip
    Free Member

When I was 28 I smashed my right heel which meant three months in plaster and on crutches with strict instructions not to put that foot on the floor while walking, It did not help I was also in a body brace for a fractured spine.

Apart from nearly falling down the stairs twice and killing myselfI did not find it to much of a problem, I think it will soon become second nature and your body will strengthen accordingly. Just don’t over do it and keep your eye out for slip hazards.

Keva
    Free Member

wear a pair of gloves? I could go quicker on my crutches than I could walking after a while. Great for core strength, and yeah you gotta look where you’re putting the things. I can imagine that buses and trains etc would be a pain though, I never went on them with mine I took a taxi or sponged a lift!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Crutches’ is closed to new replies.