Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • cruise ships in storms
  • ed34
    Free Member

i was watching local news and they had an article about some woman who suffered constant sea sickness after a cruise (it was some rare syndrome she had)
    Anyway there was a video clip of a cruise ship in a storm a few years ago which i'd never seen (dont think this was actually the boat she was on), i didnt realise how much big ships could roll around 😯

i feel seasick just watching it!! i thought it was going to tip over at about 1:05 in the first clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVoMtPFtEg0

13thfloormonk

Bloody hell, I thought they had stabilising wings for that sort of thing (the P&O rustbuckets we used to catch certainly did).

j_me
    Free Member

not many people using the on deck pool in that first one.

molgrips
    Free Member

I always wondered, how do they served food and stuff in heavy seas?
    Does all the water swill out of the swimming pool?
    Are you still allowed to use the climbing wall? Cos it'd be ace fun.
    Are there people still on the dance floors? I mean, drunk.. is this room moving? Why, yes it is!

Creg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvtwo2ugwU8 always amazed me

guy at the front shits himself…then again who wouldnt

coffeeking
    Free Member

No way you'd catch me in one of those.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Actually done something similar on a much smaller scale to Cregs post, in a 20ft speedboat, leapt off one wave and landed on up-face of the next, shattered the windscreen 😯 Can't imagine it in a ship!

iDave
    Free Member

i think if you set foot on a cruise ship you deserve some vomit

tails
    Free Member

i think if you set foot on a cruise ship you deserve some vomit

So true 😆

djc1245
    Free Member

I went on cruise to Norway last year. It was great, although i tended to get a little bored when sailing. Hardly felt the thing move most times, think i would have cacked myself on the ship in the video though

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

That's great fun on a jet ski when you get it right. Hurts big time when you get it wrong, which happens often!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Went on a 'mini cruise' to Hamburg once. I couldn't stay inside, I just had to be on deck. The wind was mental! Don't think the sea was that bad though.

epicyclo

It looks like the MacBrayne's ferry on a windy day in the Minch.

deluded
    Free Member

Thanks for that.

Going on a cruise on the Queen Mary 2 in September, principally because I don't like flying!

theboatman
    Free Member

Mrs B and I got passage on a bulk carrier between alaska and vietnam a few years back, got stuck in ferocious weather, with this massive ship pitching and rolling all over the place. Got to watch most of it from the bridge, it was an awesome experience, waves breaking over the cargo deck and the front just seeming to disappear under the water. I fell over a couple of times just trying to walk a few metres between different things to hang on to! I was stuck somewhere between terror and wonder, I'd go again without any hesitation 😯

molgrips
    Free Member

We had a rough cross channel ferry once – nothing like as bad as that clip mind.

What was incredible was the vomit! The entire ship was awash with vomit! It was all over the floor in the lounges, all over the passengers.. the toilets – oh my god! You know how they have that lip under the door.. I think I know why.. all the bogs and sinks were blocked and full of puke which was slopping onto the floor.. must've been several gallons of puke sloshing from one side of the room to the other as the ship rolled.. incredible!

It really was a lot like that scene at the end of the Meaning of Life, with the people staggering around retching.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I did a stint on fishery protection in the north sea in February many years ago. Not the biggest of boats and we ended up running from a force 10 – very entertaining!

Edric64
    Free Member

Being on a cruise must be like being locked in the hotel for days on end

molgrips
    Free Member

That's where the term 'cabin fever' comes from…

Flaperon

Have been on the Independence of the Seas (170,000 tonnes?) during a force 11 gale and it never rolled at all. However, it did pitch a surprising amount which made walking down stairs interesting as your weight fluctuated by about 40% over 20 seconds.

Got hit by a 90ft wave at one point which damaged one of the stabilisers (it was folded in and showing offline when I had a look at the control panel in the engine control room), which meant it wasn't quite as stable afterwards.

Also been on the Queen Victoria briefly during heavy winds, the ship took on a noticeably lean, possibly 5 degrees, but was utterly stable in that position.

Edit: just watched that video, the ship is only about 10% of the size of the bigger cruise ships and doesn't look to be making headway, hence the lack of stability.

NZCol

I worked on seismic boats, quite little but towing a lot (4-6 3km+ streamers). Have seen them tailbuoyed then hacked off with machetes to stop them pulling the boat down in a storm when we were running lines. Scary. Spent a day typing numbers in (another long data loss story) with a bucket between my knees in the windowless ops room and chocked rollers on my seat to stop me shooting across the room. Bed had a seatbelt. Jumped down a flight of stairs – you do that once – probably fell about 10m by the time the ship had started to freefall off the wave at the same time. Stupid schoolboy error !

On that first video it looks like its on anchor ? Look at the front and the anchor chain is out, which might explain why its pitching like that. Always good when the props are out the water 😯

simonralli2
    Free Member

I've been looking through a few of the related videos. This is a mad body surfing one where a guy at the end really takes a hammering.

Body surfing's equivalent of Dalbeattie's The Slab!!

konabunny
    Free Member

Took an overnight between Barca and Ibiza on a rough sea (prob not even that bad). Just like molgrips said – vomit everywhere, strangers leaning on each other as they staggered down corridors (gangways?) for support. It were like fookin' Shakespeare.

chalkstorm
    Free Member

Just back from a P&O cruise – 115,000 ton ship… and had a force 7/8 in the Med. Plenty of gentle movement – but none of the yo-yo stuff you see in those vids…..

molgrips
    Free Member

That ship's in a tropical cyclone – bit more than force 7/8 🙂

Creg

I've been looking through a few of the related videos. This is a mad body surfing one where a guy at the end really takes a hammering.

Body surfing's equivalent of Dalbeattie's The Slab!!

I remember reading an article on the Newport Wedge a few years ago. Just as the journo and photographer arrived to do the article some bloke was being taken away with a broken spine 😯

I did a channel crossing a few years ago in rough seas, was certainly interesting as we were all pissed so the pitching and rolling made walking down the corridors even harder. A lot of puke on that voyage.

I did a stint on fishery protection in the north sea in February many years ago. Not the biggest of boats and we ended up running from a force 10 – very entertaining!

Friend of mine does the same job but they dont go out when its rough. Seeing some of the storms we get off here its no great suprise. Ships bobbing around like corks sometimes

flippinheckler
    Free Member

You can almost smell the sick watching the OP vids! 😕

BigDummy
    Free Member

I'm doing Portsmouth – Bilbao and back in September. 2 nights/1 day out, 2days/1night home. Looking forward to it very much if the weather's good. 🙂

tony_m
    Free Member

epicyclo – Member
    It looks like the MacBrayne's ferry on a windy day in the Minch.

Indeed. And after the Minch has finished with them… 😯

Ex-Stornoway ship taking a beating

captain_bastard
    Free Member

i used to work as a photographer on a cruise ship based in Oslo. It wasn't a huge boat so did get tossed about a fair bit.

after a while of living on a boat you get immune to it. As soon as it got choppy the boat was deserted, everyone in their cabins throwing up)

working in our darkroom (pre-digital) at the front of the boat wasn't pleasant though – i still feel queasy if i smell photo chemicals!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘cruise ships in storms’ is closed to new replies.