Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • CRT TV cutting out
  • bigyinn
    Free Member

Bit of a long shot, but i thought i'd ask.
    Our 6ish YO Bush CRT TV has been losing the picture, but the sound remains. A quick thump to its side normally brings it back with a pop.
    Took the cover off it last night and it seemed quite dusty, losts of dust on cables and boards, but it looked like it had been attarcted by static, you could see the dust was perpendicular to the wires etc.
    Is that normal?
    I've given it a good dust and hoover to clean it out.
    Any ideas why a thump would sort it? I couldnt see anything obvoius loose, checked any cables to make sure they were secure, had a look at the PCBs for dry joints etc. Is it just getting to the end of its life?

Any useful advise or thoughts would be appreciated.

tron
    Free Member

CRT TVs are pretty much free these days. I reckon you could pick up one off freecycle for nowt.

uplink
    Free Member

Probably dry joints, running around them with an iron may sort it
    I'd start around the LOPTy

bigyinn
    Free Member

tron – eh? Im asking on advise regarding the problem, not how to aquire another TV!!
    uplink, thanks. I presume you mean heating each solder joint with the iron to remake the joint? Not running aroung the workshop (front room) chanting and holding a clothes iron? lol

anjs
    Free Member

Be very careful CRT hold huge voltages even when they are swithced off and disconnected from the mains and its very easy to do yourself a lot of damage

bazzer
    Free Member

Its is proably what uplink has said LOPT (Line output transformer), its probably the insulation on this component that has broken down. It can also still be carrying upto 20,000V on a large TV even after the TV is switched off and unplugged.

So if you don't know what you are doing its probably best to put the cover on and leave it alone 🙂

Bazzer

bigyinn
    Free Member

Indeed. Got a new Samsung 32" LCD coming tomorrow. Will keep it going until it dies, then i can go all rock and roll on its ass!
    Needed some reckless spending after selling my car.

tron
    Free Member

Im asking on advise regarding the problem, not how to aquire another TV!!

And as others have said, there's lots of volts in the back of a telly. I assumed that if you were contemplating DIY television repair, you might not want to drop £300 on a new one.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Furry muff, yeah im aware there are some big volts in there, hence why it had been left off for a good while first.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘CRT TV cutting out’ is closed to new replies.