Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Crowthorne Woods
  • FieldMarshall

Are Crowthorne Woods part of Swinley or are they a seperate area, i.e. is it covered by your Swinley permit or is Fc or something else.

If either of the latter is it ok to ride there and….

More importantly is there any decent riding in there?

Cheers

captaindanger

dunno, but I've raced there as part of the gorrick series, and it was god. I'm pretty sure they get special permits for those though. Yes the riding was good, but maybe it was in areas you can'tnormally ride. Try to enter some of them if you want to know what it's like.

Reluctant
    Free Member

A permit for Swinley covers Crowthorne Woods too, it's all Crown Estate. The riding's good too, depending on how far you're planning coming from. I find it great as it's on my doorstep, but wouldn't drive any huge distance to access it.Day permits available on line (Gorrick mbc website?) or from Lookout visitor centre.

FieldMarshall

Cheers.

I ride at Swinley every other Wed night, but have not ventured over to that side yet.

Thought I might check it out this week if it was worth it.

Sounds as if it's worth a look.

theotherjonv

as a Swinley / Crowthorne regular I've yet to really work out where one starts and the other finishes tbh. I think technically the permit is for the Crown Estate area hence you don't strictly need one for only Crowthorne Woods, but given I'm not exactly sure where one starts and the other finishes it's probably better to get a permit anyway (for £2, what's the issue)

There's pretty similar stuff in both although the slightly more technical stuff is generally over towards the Surrey Hill area (although Corkscrew is in Crowthorne)

Map on the Gorrick site is quite useful http://www.gorrick.com/downloads/swinleyforestmap.pdf

There's very little which is absolutely off limits, the army land is fenced off and flagged obviously, and there's Caeser's Camp to the north end which is also off limits for its archeological significance, plus occasionally there's eg: foresting or nesting bird areas which are temporarily off limits but they will be clearly marked. Or indeed, areas for wizarding antics.

16stonepig
    Free Member

I think the boundary between Swinley and Crowthorne is the fence/bank/row-of-trees that stretches from the gate by Seagull, up to Pip's Seat and beyond.

As far as I know, no permit is required to ride in Crowthorne.

FieldMarshall

Thanks.

Have an annual permit, so no problem either way.

Corkscrew sounds intriguing.

spacemonkey

The Corkscrew is the bit (in the Gorrick area?) that rolls up and down a canyon-type trail? If so, I seem to find it only half the time I'm there – the other times it seems to go hiding.

Isn't there another DH type trail (that some might call Corkscrew?) near Ceasars Camp that kind of runs along the side of a "hill"?

petetheplumber
    Free Member

I think Crowthorne wood is forestry commission land and Gorrick can’t build trails in that area, most of the trails in that area are unofficial. The divide runs down the fence/tree line from the Seagull gate past Pip's seat and down to the nine mile ride. Most of the single track including the corkscrew is mud at the moment a combination of heavy rain and Gorrick race last Sunday. I have seen the Swinley rangers chasing motorbikes out of the area but not in the last two years.

FieldMarshall

Looking at the Swinley map link above, it would appear that Crowthorne Woods is outside the Crown estate, i.e. not part of the shaded lime green area and the boundary matches the description given by PTP above.

Thanks. Will have a look at that area on Wed night.

OldGitSurrey
    Free Member

Although we usually park either at the Lookout or the top north-east corner near Ascot, we occasionally park up at Maultway North (near the Jolly Farmer on the A30) and enter Swinley from that side, close to the giant relay mast.
    There's a convenient gap in the fence just north/northwest of the entrance to the Babymaker.

We are very naughty boys!! 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Crowthorne Woods’ is closed to new replies.