Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Crown race removal?
  • Joe

Anyone used one of these tools: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ice-Toolz-Crown-Race-Remover/dp/B0058D8GGO/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_2

I used to use screw drivers and tappy tappy method, but my last couple of races are very very tight.

MarkN
    Free Member

Warm it with hair drier / heat gun.

dannybgoode

I used a chisel. Wouldn’t necessarily recommend you do the same…

Cheers

Danny B

patriotpro
    Free Member

Not used those but never had a problem with the grease and screwdriver method.

beaker2135

Warm it with hair drier / heat gun

or boiling water

lovewookie

I have one of those removers. be careful with it and it works a treat. gives a nice area to whack with a mallet.

johnellison
    Free Member

I use an old table knife. Just hold the blade where the race rests on the crown and give it a few shart taps with a hammer. Usually gets it moving.

gonzy
    Free Member

screwdriver method works for me…

theocb
    Free Member

It’s a great tool,simple and effective and if you need to regularly remove the race then I think it is well worth having. Lot’s of other methods work if you only need to do the odd 1 and don’t want to spend £20.

HermanShake
    Free Member

I used the chisel/tappy method but worked a ring of paint off the crown of my last fork 😯

Cut a slot in your crown races and it’s probably worth using the right tool, then sell it once your races are all split.

Hacksaw to split with a file to finish works fine and they’re easy to remove from then on. Many brands sell them pre-split (Hope etc).

MarkN
    Free Member

And I thought £20 was a bit steep.

johnhighfield
    Free Member

Yep – used one after years of tapping off with screw drivers etc. Its a nice piece of kit – well made – effective – & will last forever…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Crown race removal?’ is closed to new replies.