Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 220 total)
  • Crowd funded new forum?
  • llama

Automatic rejection of new threads with the word ‘content’ in the title

Automatic ban if it’s in brackets

Apart from that, merge bike and chat, categories are pointless.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Can we get a free mint sauce keyring with any contribution?

leffeboy

True dat. The only time I spot the categories are when someone gets it wrong and it is pointed out 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

You do know nothing you write makes any sense, right?

I assume he gets tired and emotional as the day wears on.

cardo

We all agree that the current forum is rubbish and needs an update.

Sorry fella but you don’t represent me..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ll chip in with a separate road bike section if only to stop the random 11sp you will need a spacer for that posts
    Images are easy to do and using imgur etc you have full control over them.
    Fixing the last post and titles on mobile would be good especially with the number of posts that look interesting from the first few words then turn out to be about something completely different.

GrahamS

merge bike and chat, categories are pointless.

That’s how it was back in the day. But on chatty days the bike stuff disappeared off the first page completely.

The current system works well because you have the two seperate forums, but if you want to see them both mixed together you can just go to the overview page.

chewkw
    Free Member

GrahamS – Member

merge bike and chat, categories are pointless.

That’s how it was back in the day. But on chatty days the bike stuff disappeared off the first page completely. [/quote]

That’s exactly how things got broken when it ain’t.

They were not even here on STW in those days. 😆

roger_mellie

llama – Member
    Automatic rejection of new threads with the word ‘content’ in the title

Automatic ban if it’s in brackets

Automatic ban for thread titles that try to be all mysterious by putting ….. at the end instead of actually flipping finishing the bloody sentence.

jimjam
    Free Member

roger_mellie – Member

Automatic ban for thread titles that try to be all mysterious by putting …..

Well how about instead of automatic bans, the mods just change the thread title to something more accurate?

On another forum I frequent the mods will take cryptic thread titles and change them to something like “I’m a sad lonely middle aged man who wants everyone to know that I have a slightly higher spec Audi than they do*”.

*I’m generalising but you get the idea.

roger_mellie

Now there’s a better idea jimjam!

martinhutch

UKclimbing may look nice but some of the residents make most of the more fringe posters on here look sane, compassionate and balanced by comparison.

A mate of mine from Uni posted on there in the mid-2000’s asking if anyone in Sheffield could lend him a Hilti for the weekend to put a bolt on the lip of Parthian Shot as he wanted to climb it but it looked a bit dicey. He got actual death threats, had his posting history stalked so people could work out who he was in real life so they could come and have a “chat” and had to ask for his account to be deleted in the end.

It’s true, UKC was a lot easier to troll magnificently. There used to be some spectacularly cantankerous arseholes on there.

I like this forum in comparison – the layout is clean and simple, the modding mostly hits the right note, as far as I can tell, and very few of us take it too seriously…

<Awaits death threats>

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Just logged in again to post….

While the plain layout is nice, this forum is missing a few features that would make it nicer – most of them from vBulletin.

A better quote function – where you can quote a whole post by clicking on a link in it.
    Pop up notification of private messages. The private message function on here is a bit…. rubbish.
    A skip to last post/last read post in a thread.
    Seeing who the last poster in a thread was.
    Subscribing to a thread

https://www.vbulletin.com/en/features/

The layout on mobile is not good however. Can’t see the whole thread title. Often can’t skip to the last page. Can’t see who started the thread. Too many clicks to change between forums.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

On the web version, click the last post time for last post in a thread, hover over to see the last poster

whitestone
    Free Member

@mikewsmith – while you can go to the last post in a thread there’s no “skip to last read/first unread post”

Subscribing to a thread? I’m on a US forum where that behaviour is the default on threads you post on and the notifications are a bit of a pain, you only get one per thread until you go back and read the replies but even so. Having threads you’ve contributed to presented after the stickies but before other threads would be useful.

Agree with the notification of private messages – I got a PM and it was two months before I thought to check my profile/settings page and noticed it.

@martinhutch – I know there were some “robust” threads on UKC but don’t remember that one. Pretty damning.

GrahamS

It is odd that those features are missing on the mobile version of the main forum page, but they are there on the Forum Activity page:

That page also provides the equivalent of subscribing to threads. Tends to be my main page when I want to see what is happening on existing threads.

whitestone
    Free Member

Is the “You replied” column only available to premium members?

Edit: ah, it’s under your profile. I was looking for it on the main pages for each forum.

footflaps

I quite like the separation, as I have absolutely no interest in bike related threads 🙂

zippykona

I feel like a proper mountainbiker when I click on the bike forum so please keep them separate.
    And we don’t want this…

hammyuk
    Free Member

“We don’t”??
    What’s the issue with that?
    Obvious categories, distinct postings, etc.
    TBF – a section for ride outs, workshop, etc would work well unless of course its too much for your brain to handle….

tjagain

We don’t want it ‘cos it all gets very confused. I far prefer the current format

oldtalent
    Free Member

Separating mtb from road/cx/recumbent/other bike related tedium would be good.
    As would a separate political forum for the usual 10 dullards who like to argue incessantly with each other.

CountZero

hammyuk – Member
    “We don’t”??
    What’s the issue with that?
    TBF – a section for ride outs, workshop, etc would work well unless of course its too much for your brain to handle….

🙄
    If you can’t see why the overwhelming majority here have a problem with that, then I’m pretty sure it’s going to be difficult for your brain to understand any explanation anyone might give.

mehr
    Free Member

Two forums works well, look at Pinkbike it must have 70+ sub forums so gives the illusion of not being very busy

Edit in fact its not really that busy, multiple sub forums just splits the community and people live in whatever is their niche

GrahamS

Yep, hundreds of sub-forums sucks.

One of the beauties of This Place is that you stumble upon interesting/funny/sad/legendary threads.

Would you have found the Picolax thread in the medical sub-forum? Would you have seen Sudocrem Cat in the Pets sub-forum?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

I agree with a separate road forum and an e-bike forum.

GrahamS

Why? It’s all bikes innit?

hammyuk
    Free Member

“Overwhelming majority”
    Read back through this and the multiple other thr ads.
    Far more asking for changes than asking for the status quo to not be changed.

scotroutes

You’re imagining it fella. Most requests are for a fix to crappy ads and to the mobile view. There’s very few looking to have lots of sub-forums.

nickc

those sorts of forums are the reason I use singletrack tbh.

Mark

It’s never going to be the forum you want it to be Hammy.
    Sorry.

slowoldman

One of the beauties of This Place is that you stumble upon interesting/funny/sad/legendary threads.

This.

With sub forums I probably wouldn’t know there were people wanting a change to sub forums.

hammyuk
    Free Member

No Mark – you already posted on the first page that you can’t be bothered…..

Mark

Well right now I’m having my tea. So yes, right now I’m not bothered.

whitestone
    Free Member

Some people have complained about the forums lacking things they want. Some other people have said that generally the forums work and are fine.

The overwhelming majority haven’t expressed an opinion.

I think you’ll find the above a more accurate summary. 😉

footflaps

He could just move to Pinkbike and leave us all in peace…..

hammyuk
    Free Member

So could you….
    But lets not that fact get in the way of a goof troll….

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Why? It’s all bikes innit?

So are kids tricycles. Don’t want read about them. Same with ebikes. STW are very keen on them, presumably the money will be important soon enough. I don’t want to read about them so much. I,vet cancelled my mag sub that I took out after Mark’s post about print costs. This year has seen things I don’t like in the way the mag is going so I won’t be renewing but I will get an electronic sub.
    E-bikes are a part of that whole thing.
    I accept that is only my opinion and everyone else is entitled to have what they want.

Junkyard
    Free Member

no one is made to read any thread be it on bikes politics or rugby or **** watched

Moaning about them[ or the contributors as happens on the politics ones] is daft, just dont read them.

simondbarnes

Mark – Resident Grumpy
    Sorry.

Hurrah 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 220 total)

The topic ‘Crowd funded new forum?’ is closed to new replies.