Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Crossride wheels – going tubeless info
  • skydragon
    Free Member

I’m posting this, as it may help others using Mavic Crossride wheels, who want to go tubeless. Despite a load of searching on the Internet, the following info doesn’t seem to be well publicised.

The rims on Mavic Crossride wheels are narrow, non-UST and possibly not the best suited to tubeless use.(there are still plenty of reports on the Internet of people using crossrides going tubeless using various tubeless systems, with varying degrees of success) What isn’t so well publicised is that Mavic make a specific Mavic Crossride UST rim tape kit that is designed to convert a Crossride rim into a UST compatible rim. The moulded shape of the tape fits exactly into the Crossride rim profile and under the rim edge. You need to buy a seperate valve (stans or Mavic, etc will do) to fit through the tape and into the rim.

I’ve just used it to convert my wheels and am pretty impressed with the result. You have to spend some time making sure that the rim tape (made out of hard PU not rubber) is located ok and pushed under the rim edge where it locates, but once on it seems to work ok. I used Stans sealant as well and no other rim tape under the Mavic tape.

The crossrides are definately budget wheels and I’d prefer to get some better wheels, but this seems to be a decent way of eeking out some more value out of the crossrides whilst saving up.

skydragon
    Free Member
    gribble
    Free Member

Thanks, have a pair on my hard tail and will consider giving it a go.

danielgroves
    Free Member

From my experience, Mavic tyres were real, bad to get up on my old cross rides so I’d avoid if I were you. Continental Black Chilli’s are a dream 🙂

skydragon
    Free Member

Wasn’t using Mavic tyres (no experience with them yet). I used maxxis and schwalbe. Fwiw I tried to use a mountain king but couldn’t get it to seat ok witha track pump

therevokid
    Free Member

Crosstrails work straight out of the box as tubeless ?
    But, yeah crossrides are a pain !

passtherizla
    Free Member

Only set of wheels I’ve failed at getting to go up so far…. But they were also the first ones I tried and then I sold them so not really any help at all, mine were drilled for Schraeder valves and they just wouldn’t sea around the valve hole.

oliverracing

sorry to slightly hijack the thread but I have a set of what I had presumed were crossrides (and have 08-09 crossride stickers on) , but they went up tubeless no problem and definitely seem to be a tubeless design! – any idea what they could be? (defo 2+ years old)

leythervegas
    Free Member

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but has anyone tried this system on Crossrides? What else apart from the tape do you need for the conversion and what tyres do you recommend for a 27.5 wheel full suspension setup?

leythervegas
    Free Member

Rebump

mccett
    Free Member

Just done my new cross rides with gorilla tape and HR2 29er variety, no issues at all. Inflated with compressor though.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Crossride wheels – going tubeless info’ is closed to new replies.