Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Crossmax XL Ltd Pro – real world experiences?
  • beer247
    Free Member

Killed my Ryde Edge rear rim at the weekend which gave me an excuse to start looking at new wheels!

Can get a good deal on a set of the above,

Has anyone put any reasonable time in on a set?

I’ve read several online reviews and they all seem to give the thumbs up, just looking for some “real world” reviews.

I know i’d be dropping from a “fashionable” internal rim width of 29mm to 23mm, but it doesn’t really bother me.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I believe the hubs/bearings are a bit fragile (use a threaded pre-load on the rear), friend has some that seems to go through a few bearings.

Given a choice i’d rather go for something DT based personally.

chakaping
    Free Member

What does the “LTD” bit signify?

I have the normal XLs / XL Pros (same wheel, different year I think) and did have one freehub die when the pawls disintegrated.

Was replaced with a new wheel under warranty.

Excellent stiffness/weight/strength ratio IMO and they have a lovely feel when riding. I would buy them again, but will probably end up with the new Deemax when the time comes.

beer247
    Free Member

Think the LTD bit just means you get black rims with yellow hubs and decals as opposed to silver hubs and white decals.

I’ve seen the new Deemax Pro – £800 RRP though!

I’m looking at £547 for the Crossmax XL

beer247
    Free Member

Oh and the supplied Mavic tyres are different – think the front is more aggressive.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Oh and the supplied Mavic tyres are different – think the front is more aggressive.

Yes, the non – ltd set I just got came with Quest tyres front and rear when I was expecting a Charge on the front. The Quest looks a bit under treaded for a front but fine as a rear.

duir
    Free Member

I have both the XL and XL ltd. They can take a real hammering and not bend and feel rapid when you put the power down. The tyres that came with both sets were rubbish except for the front one on the yellow hubbed front wheel but that’s for a Geometron and Lakes hard riding so the tyres may be ok for some. Easiest tubeless ever to setup goes up first time with Maxxis/Schwalbe tyres. They have stayed true without any need for tweaking straight from the factory. 8 months on the hubs no issues. Don’t notice the rim width at all, seem fine on a Magic Mary 2.35/Maxxis Minion 2.5 combo.

Seem like a really good wheelset but I went for the insurance too as I didn’t want to risk it. I started out wanting DT Swiss but when you tot up a build it is almost the same price but without insurance. Still a lot of money for wheels though but when I recently put on a set of cheaper hope/DT wheels the bike felt rubbish so they do make a huge difference.

maxtorque

I’ve run that wheel set on my Dune since Jan:

umm’d and ahh’d about going carbon rimmed, but settled on the “safe” option. I quite like the std fit tyres for general UK riding, but fit MM/HDs in SG flavour for the ALPS and BPW/Antur etc. Whilst perhaps narrow by current trends, i can’t say i notice any lack of strength/stiffness of a lack of tyre carcase volume.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Mine are excellent on my Cannondale. Tyres aren’t the best in greasy conditions mind

beer247
    Free Member

All sounds positive.

Think I’ll push the button today!

Probably run a HR2 on the rear when it gets a bit sloppy out and save the Mavic for next summer.

ninfan
    Free Member

The MP3 insurance Is no more

They’re replacing this with some form of ‘crash replacement policy’ that is not entirely clear as yet but seems to be close to “nearly as much as a new wheel”

I always thought MP3 was a no brainier of a good deal, the new policy seems to beamy thing but.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Crossmax XL Ltd Pro – real world experiences?’ is closed to new replies.