Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Crossmax sx problem
  • cubemeup
    Free Member

I’ve only had my wheels less than 8 weeks and only doing between 20/30 miles per week and my rear bearings are already ****!! Anyone else had this problem?

polodingalong
    Free Member

Any chance of a more descriptive term than ****? Its not that you just need to tighten up the black ring on the axle to reduce the side to side play?

cubemeup
    Free Member

Well I thought it was my frame bearings but when I took it in today they check the bearing and told me the bearings were knackered. The hub was clean so it couldn’t have been from the crap weather, I just expect more from a set of wheels at that price

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Over tightened axles?

nicolaisam
    Free Member

My ones lasted just over 1 year,ridden 50miles per week rain or shine..

As above too much bearing preload

cubemeup
    Free Member

What do mean over tightened axle?? Why would that cause a problem? Sorry I’m learning slowly about mechanics

honourablegeorge

Are you sure the bearings are wrecked? Crossmax often have slight play if the bearing adjuster isn’t tightened. Should have got a little plastic wrench with them, use that to just nip up the adjuster on the hub (drive side IIRC) hand tight, should sort the play.

Edit – not the drive side then, judging from the pic…:)

cubemeup
    Free Member

Ok cheers ill ring the bike shop in the morning

coatesy
    Free Member

Could be a similar problem to the one we’ve had on a few Mavic hubs recently, the axle is so loose in the bearings that it literally falls in and out under it’s own weight. Mavic’s boffins expect a circlip and a couple of washers preloading the bearings side to side to prevent up and down movement.They’ve sent us thicker shim washers which don’t appear to work, and we’ve just had a new replacement wheel returned after one ride due to excess play. I’m reckoning that a Stud & Bearing fitting compound will do the trick, but also reckon this is something Mavic should be sorting, not bike shops.

cubemeup
    Free Member

Just been told that the bearings are shot so need new ones, I’m really disappointed with mavic. Also been told by a mate that mavic have been sending out wheels with no grease or oil in the bearings

ae212060
    Free Member

^ Seems to be a trend by a few brands to save cost and in Tunes case, weight by supplying without grease!

chakaping
    Free Member

Just been told that the bearings are shot so need new ones, I’m really disappointed with mavic.

Are they doing them under warranty?

M1llh0use
    Free Member

cubemeup – Member

What do mean over tightened axle?? Why would that cause a problem? Sorry I’m learning slowly about mechanics

over tightening can put too much load on the bearings causing them to fail/wear prematurely. if you look at the bumph that come with the wheels they bearly need to be more than pinch tight.

chakaping – Member

Just been told that the bearings are shot so need new ones, I’m really disappointed with mavic.

Are they doing them under warranty?

was also to by LBS that mavic come with a 2 year warranty where bearings are concerned…

traildog
    Free Member

Only problem so far has been the freehub went a bit sticky, but seems to have sorted itself out with a bit of riding. Had the wheels over a year and very pleased with them.

Surely this will be covered by the mp3 insurance so you have nothing to worry about.

ae212060
    Free Member

Based on the above, I would recommend that anyone splashing out on a Mavic wheelset should look into the MP3 program.. http://www.mavic-mp3.com

Edit: Previous poster beat me to it!

cubemeup
    Free Member

Bearings are not covered on mp3 and I have to pay for them

cubemeup
    Free Member

anyone recently bought these??

only went and snapped 2 spokes while in les arcs, mavic covered them on warranty plus other mate broke 3 botgh wheels broke on drive side. anyone else had this problem?

waldo1
    Free Member

Over tightening spokes on the sx can cause failure. The cast spokes can snap.
    I snapped a fair few on my last pair. Seizing of the nipples can occur also, especially after cleaning with certain products.
    Bearings wise, I had a few issues with keeping them right. A lbs to us changed them, saying they were gone and the were never correct, even after 4 attempts.
    I’ve got the later sx now like you and they’re going well. Bearings are running well – not too tight and not too lose. ..juuust right.
    Few dings on the rims though and the tubeless valves deteriorate over time. Spokes on the rear are pretty loose and I can’t see them lasting much longer.
    Mp3 time soon I reckon.

cubemeup
    Free Member

waldo1!! its biggins, two of us done drive side spoke in france

Dan
    Free Member

If spokes get loose they will snap and they do seem to slacken with heavy use so worth keeping an eye on.

jedi

i have used them for 2 years now and have had no issues other than cracking a rim due to pilot error 🙂

waldo1
    Free Member

How was les arcs biggins? The videos were pretty good. Good weather too by the looks of it.
    Any joy with your shock?

cubemeup
    Free Member

Looked it fella
    Had one guy message me but that was it

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Crossmax sx problem’ is closed to new replies.