Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Crossmax ST rear hub problem
  • The-Duke

Has anyone using this hub experienced any drag with the freehub? It’s the newer its4 hub and it feels a bit reluctant to turn, not noticeable when peddling but when pushing the bike there is enough resistance to turn the cranks. I’ve stripped it down, cleaned it and reassembled but has made no difference. Any ideas or is this normal with mavic hubs?
    cheers

pete68
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of the 2014 29er st’s. They spin for ages when off the floor.much longer than my hope pro2’s. They seem very smooth so I would say something isn’t right with yours.

The-Duke

That’s what I thought, the pro2 on the wife’s bike spin for ages compared to my mavic. Might strip the hub and have another look.

fasthaggis

I need to look at mine soon,it’s usually one of the free hub bearings that goes tight.
    Not done it for a while,but I think there is a wee thrust washer/shim that has to go inside the freewheel,you could check that.

jimw
    Free Member

The ITS4 doesn’t have the shim washer according to the tech manual.
    http://www.tech-mavic.com/tech-mavic/technical_manual/data/docs/themes/2_19.pdf
    Have you put the free hub seal on back to front? it should have the flat side against the free hub, tapered side against the hub? Just a thought. Otherwise likely to be the bearings I would think

Stu661
    Free Member

Did you use grease or oil in the freehub? Mavic recommends mineral oil, grease can cause the problem above. Is the bearing preload to tight? Or possible a sticky bearing I have had problems with my bearings ceasing in the freehubs.
    Also watch out for the axle snapping inbetween the hub bearing and freehub, has happened once to me and twice to a mate.

The-Duke

Ok so I’ve had the hub apart again this afternoon, all the bearings are smooth and it was very clean inside with a light coating of mineral oil on most parts. I took the preload adjuster right off and it made no difference, everything feels smooth until the freehub is pushed fully home then it goes draggy again. Freehub seal is the right way round, not sure what else it could be.

Stu661
    Free Member

How tight have you done up the end cap on the drive side? It should be put on with loctite and tightened to 10nm but make sure the preload nut is backed right off first. How does it run with no paws in the freehub? I recall having a problem with them at on point causing an issue.

The-Duke

Just tried it without the freehub seal and it’s much better so might order a new seal although there’s nothing obviously wrong with mine. Will any light mineral oil work or should I buy the proper mavic stuff?

Twin
    Free Member

I use Shimano mineral oil, perfect for the freehub.

Stu661
    Free Member

I found Shimano stuff far to runny. Pedro’s synthetic lube is what I use and have been told it’s close to the Mavic stuff.

The-Duke

Think I’ve found the problem, the disc side hub bearing appears to have been installed the wrong way round according to the mavic tech document. The red bearing seal should be fitted towards the centre of the hub and the preload side towards the disc but it’s the opposite. The tech manual says that to achieve a perfect freehub seal the bearing must be fitted the right way round. At least it’s still under warranty so will be going back for a rebuild. Cheers guys for all the advise.

The-Duke

Quick update for anyone interested, I thought I’d try and fix it myself instead of having the hassle of sending it away. So I carefully drifted out the disc side bearing and reinstalled it the right way round, reassembled the hub and it’s fine, spins so much better now. Just a bit annoying on a wheelset that retails at over £600 but at least it was a quick fix.

thorjensen
    Free Member

Hi

I have a perhaps similar problem with my crossmax st 29 from ’13. I have discribed the problem here and took a pic of my freehub body and made a little movie:

http://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/mavic-crossmax-st-29-trouble-900612.html

What are your thoughts on that?

Regards

Thor

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Crossmax ST rear hub problem’ is closed to new replies.