Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Crossmax St or Hope ST AM-4?
  • thorpey0
    Free Member

Which are better wheels? Mavic Crossmax ST or Hope ST AM-4 on Stans ZTR Flow…?

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Crossmax are light stiff and effortlessly tubeless. They also take constant fettling and the hubs need adjusting after every hard ride.

Hope just rock on. Until the bearings need replacing for a few quid.

Toss a coin; either are top notch

stevied
    Free Member

I’ve got the AM4’s and they are great. Used the for everything from XC to DH without issue.

thorpey0
    Free Member

I have the AM-4’s and (touching wood) have never had an issue, I have ST’s arriving on a bike I have just bought so basically I am wondering wether to move my AM’s over from my hardtail or leave the Crossmax on the new bike I have just bought.

Does anyone know if Hope Saw Rotors (from the Hope wheels) will work with X0 brakes (on my new Nukeproof)?

maxtorque

ScottChegg
    Crossmax are light stiff and effortlessly tubeless. They also take constant fettling and the hubs need adjusting after every hard ride.

I’ve run STs on my 160mm bike for over two years, and never really had to touch them. For the first couple of rides i did adjust the bearing preload a bit, but this is done in-situ (ie don’t even have to take wheels off bike) with the tool that is included on the tyre leavers you get with the wheels and almost certainly have in your pack when riding anyway.
    They have now been through two UK winters, and done two alps trips and numerous hard uk miles (dartmoor, peaks, lakes, north wales etc) and are still true (ish) although sporting some pretty big gashes from errant flying rocks etc. Bearings feel as good as the day they were bought.

Only downside i can see is they are a bit more expensive than some of the other options, but the fact they are fully sealed as std (no rim tape etc) makes fitting tyres in a hurray an absolute doddle 😉

legend
    Free Member

Busting a spoke on a factory Mavic will make you cry.

Also, do they sell the rims for Crossmaxs seperately? I’ve got a mate that’s just found out that to put a new rim on a Deemax you need to return it to the factory and bend over to the tune of £250.

chakaping
    Free Member

The crossmax ST are more fragile. Good wheels but I’ve owned them in 26 and 29 and they don’t take a battering very well.

Look at the xl version if you want mavic.

Unless you ride soft trails and you’re pretty light.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ScottChegg – Member

Hope just rock on. Until the bearings need replacing for a few quid.

Toss a coin; either are top notch

this i agree with 10000% apart from the last sentence 😉

constant adjustment of that shite QRM bearing, mid ride, wheel wobble, even with new bearings

creak like a creaky thing in the dry

they are the easiest and best tubeless ever though on the plus side, no tape required and always went up with a cheap track pump with no effort at all

my mates more or less exploded the other day, spoke snapped, and the bearings are goosed yet again, hes now had 3 sets of bearings in the last year, and he cannot get rid of a constant/loud defeaning creak

also if you live in rocky area/semi quick etc they are like cheese too, i completely wrote off a rim on one descent that ive done 100’s of times on various wheelsets, and the rim just basically collapsed

they are too narrow too to top it off

as you can tell, im not a fan. on the plus side they do look expensive and nice to the eye if that matters

thorpey0
    Free Member

Does anyone know if Hope Saw Rotors (from the Hope wheels) will work with X0 brakes (on my new Nukeproof)?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Crossmax St or Hope ST AM-4?’ is closed to new replies.