Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Crossmax ST 29
  • ratherbeintobago

As above – any good? Any downsides?

Thanks,

Andy

jimw
    Free Member

I have two sets, one on a Canyon fs, the other on Cotic hardtail. They are light, stiff , free rolling and both are as true as the day I got them. I am not one for big jumps etc. so may not be pushing them as hard as many people on here, but they seem robust to me. I did have an issue with bearing adjustment on one set but that is now resolved.
    I do know some have found them more fragile than me and feel that the rims are too narrow. I have not had an issue with either, but maybe others can comment about their experiences

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Nice wheels but the rims are too narrow in my opinion.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    shortcut

I had a set and cannot admit to being impressed. In 8 months if riding the spokes got all noisy, so were replaced, the free hub failed and was replaced and the axle snapped.

khani
    Free Member

Can’t fault mine, stiffer than Pro/crests for the same weight and the rim takes a 2.3 tyre fine, no freehub/spoke problems either..
    All good ime..

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

shortcut – Member
    I had a set and cannot admit to being impressed. In 8 months if riding the spokes got all noisy, so were replaced, the free hub failed and was replaced and the axle snapped.

in what way are the spokes noisy shortcut? im sure im getting a pinging/clicking type noise from my rear 26″, ST, had all rear wheel bearings replaced and suddenly acquired this pinging noise, could be hub/bearing related or could be the spokes, although all are tensioned and tight etc

shortcut

Mr Willy – Just creaking and pinging.

james_turk
    Free Member

It all comes down to the type of riding you’ll be doing on them.

In my experience, they weren’t up to the abuse I wanted to subject them to. I dinged the rear and put it right out alignment. Took it to the old LBS, they spoke to Mavic, and to fix would require sending it back to Mavic, where they would rebuild the wheel with a new rim and new spokes. Cost? £220. I bought a Hope/FlowEX instead.

In fairness, I was probably asking a lot of them.

I only found out about their MP3 cover afterwards. If you get them, get this, as the rebuild I required would have been covered.

As has been mentioned, the rim is very narrow, but that might be fine for you. For me, the tyre profile you get from a FlowEX is much nicer, even on narrow mud tyres.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

shortcut – Member
    Mr Willy – Just creaking and pinging.

😆 mr willy 😆

sounds similar to mine then, but more like a clicking than a creak, very strange indeed, its nothing else on my bike, defo rear wheel related!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

perhaps it’s coming from your knees?

doug_basqueMTB.com

Four months of guiding, including plenty of big mountain stuff and lots of downs. Still true and trouble free. Thumbs up from me!

ratherbeintobago

It all comes down to the type of riding you’ll be doing on them.

Wheels on the ground mincing.

I’ve got a pair of (very cheap from Merlin) 26″ SLRs which I am very happy with despite stories of free hub self-destruction. I gather they’ve changed the innards since then; other thing I am slightly apprehensive about is 24 spokes on a wagon wheel, but from the above it sounds like they’re stiff enough.

doug_basqueMTB.com

I swapped out the wheels that came with the bike for the Mavics because they were so flexy and I just couldn´t ride on them. I flexed the rear wheel so much that it took the derailleur off on one corner! The Mavics have been super stiff, I´m really impressed. The spokes are BIG and I haven´t snapped one yet. The only thing that happened, which I attribute to the lack of spokes, is that I got a big stick flicked between the spokes, it ripped the tubeless valve off and broke it! Amazingly the spokes were fine and they snapped the stick. That´s never happened to me in all my riding days.

I think the ST´s are strong, stiff and reliable. I really like them.

ratherbeintobago

Next daft question – how well do these play with non-UST tubeless ready tyres?

doug_basqueMTB.com

Great, ime. Tried various maxis, easy with track pump.

pete68
    Free Member

I love these wheels but haven’t managed to get normal tyres to inflate. Just seem too loose fitting. I’ve never had a problem with stans rims. These are worth it for the stiffness though.

iamtheresurrection

Two years on a set here, never a pick of bother; certainly not needed to true them once either. The only maintenance was to oil the panels one night when I couldn’t be bothered to ride.

Up to RQ 2.2s on no problem, although never tried bigger.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Crossmax ST 29’ is closed to new replies.