Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Crossing the River Severn south of Gloucester
  • Dickyboy

Apart from getting some big tractor inner tubes and paddling is there a legit way of getting a bike across the river Severn south of the A40 bridge at Gloucester? Can't see any footbridges or ferries on google earth 😥

mrmo
    Free Member

i am fairly certain you can cross on the severn bridge, i think the old bridge not sure about the new bridge.

Moses

Yep.
    The older Severn Bridge, Aust to Chepstow, has a cycle and pedestrian lane

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

both bridges can be ridden over.

project
    Free Member

Severn tunnel railway,got to be fast to avoid the trains though, take a good torch,its dark.

I've ridden the cycle path over the old (M48) bridge.
    Pawsy_Bear, are you sure there's a cycle path over the new (M4) bridge ?

Dickyboy

Thanks guys, nothing in between old Severn crossing & A40 at Gloucester then?

Midnighthour
    Free Member

Nothing at all between Gloucester and the original Severn bridge.

You can cycle on either side of the original bridge, depending on which view you prefer. Although the entrance to the downriver path, on the English side is rather hidden up a lane.

I am surprised someone has said you can cycle across the new one, as there is no pedestrian or cycle path at all on it and the road is considered to be 'motorway' so I dont think it is possible to cycle via that one unless you have a death wish and long to get a fine.

Its sad they did not plan ahead better with the newer bridge – when the old one closes there will only be motor vehicle access to Wales. Particularly sad as crossing both bridges would have been a nice target for walkers and cyclists out on a trip anyway, never mind for access purposes when the older bridge is shut down, which it will be at some point as problems with the cables long term (rust).

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Can't cross N of Gloucester here either 🙂 (I'd never seen a satnav sign before)

Hampton Loade

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Crossing the River Severn south of Gloucester’ is closed to new replies.