Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • crossers.. do you run? (training content)
  • trickydisco
    Free Member

So the summer cross is starting up again ( but cross is a winter sport I hear you say)

I’m trying to get some miles/training in for end if may. I’m thinking (amongst other things) to get some weekly lunchtime runs ( 5 miles) .Some ppl have said i’d lose some power and top end some have said its the best exercise to fit into an hour cardio wise ( as long as you are out on the bike other times)

So what so you reckon? Does it help

jonba
    Free Member

Might help with fitness but I can’t see it being much help with the actual races. Distances run in a cross race are very short, normally p stairs/banks/over hurdles or through mud.

Might be better spending your lunchtime working on your start, dismount/remount and technique?

trickydisco
    Free Member

Yea.. not the races per say. Although some running might be beneficial with dismounts or running on the course (steps etc)

I will be practicing technique during the week but can’t really do this in a lunch hour.

benji
    Free Member

Don’t do running as part of my training it’s such a small part of uk courses it’s not really needed. Practicing dismounting and remounting is a drill worth practicing.

bikerbruce
    Free Member

Yes I do, Once a week in the season.Twice if I’m short on time or the course that weekend will involve a lot of running… I always remeber nick craig telling me that it was more beneficial to do a 30 min run than a 40min ride.. in the off season I only run occasionally and start or season rarely…

crazy-legs

I started getting back into running a while ago, all on indoor treadmills to avoid screwing up my ITB again and so I could keep track of distance/speed etc. Persisted for about 2 months but it was having such a detrimental effect on my cycling that I eventually stopped the running. It still took another month for my cycling to return to normal.

No idea why it affected the cycling so much but the only CX specific training I do now is simply riding the CX bike and carrying it where necessary.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Interesting crazy-legs! certainly don’t want that to happen.

My legs are in bits anyway today. I am just not used to running. I think it depends on your background. Read a some pros/elites rate it and some don’t.

Maybe i should do circuit training once a week instead (which involves sprinting, body weight, core etc)

maximusmountain
    Free Member

I run, more for enjoyment though but I do make sure there is a set of intervals in there somewhere as I won’t be casually running in cross. I also make sure I do some transition work (come in from a run, go out for a ride and vice versa) but thats mainly because I want to stay fit and able to do duathlons.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘crossers.. do you run? (training content)’ is closed to new replies.