Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Crosscheck and CX shifter quandary-bar end or DT
  • BruiseWillies
    Free Member

I’m building up a surly Crosscheck and was wondering if anyone has used barend or downtube shifters with any reasonable success off-road. Not full on CX racing, but woodsy/path-y/dare-I-say gravelly type riding.
    Do I absoluteley HAVE to have STI to stay alive?
    It’s just down to budget really as it’ll be a 1×9 build. Just after opinions!

andytk
    Free Member

I’m running down tube shifters on my Cross Check (both full friction), took it round the Mary Towneley loop a few weeks ago without any problems, before that I had bar ends (2×9 friction front, indexed rear). Took a little while to get used to the DT shifters, but doubt I’ll go back now.

BruiseWillies
    Free Member

Hmmm thats interesting, do you find you’re shifting much?

andytk
    Free Member

It depends what you mean by ‘much’… I’ll usually change down and spin when I know there’s something steep ahead and if it comes as a surprise I’ll just get out of the saddle.

BruiseWillies
    Free Member

That’s kinda what I was thinking, riding with a bit of forethought, rather than how I found I rode my road bike, constantly shifting.
    I’ve seen some SA 3 speed barend shifters going cheaply, might be worth fiddling them into friction only.

JoB
    Free Member

if you’re not bothered by gear-changing constantly and can anticipate the trail ahead so negating the need for instant panic shifts then bar-end shifters are fine, people were doing it for years before STIs arrived after all

Gevenalle offer a third option

jameso

wondering if anyone has used barend or downtube shifters with any reasonable success off-road

I have them on my Arkose 2, 1×10. I like a 1x set up with a wide-ratio rear, rarely need more than 2 clicks to hit the right gear and keeping it away from the brake hoods means I shift less – sort of a SS-er attitude but with gears when needed. Also very easy to shift across much of the block in one go. But I wouldn’t want them on a close-ratio road bike where I was changing more often.

BruiseWillies
    Free Member

I do like the look of those Gevenalle shifters, but look to be a bit spendy, especially compared to normal road levers.
    I think I’ll go with the bar ends then, though I wonder if that Gevenalle system would be easy to replicate……

daleftw
    Free Member

What Jameso said – ”I shift less – sort of a SS-er attitude but with gears when needed.”

I love the bar end shifters on my Disc Trucker. I use it off road a lot.

What I would think about though is adding flared drops like the Salsa Cowbell or something. Gives you a touch more knee room.

Big-Dave
    Free Member

I use down tube shifters on my Cross Check and have never had a problem with them off road. I do however have a leisurely approach when taking the old girl off road. Bar end shifters are fine on flared drops. Used to run some on my Karate Monkey with a Midge bar. Be warned though, bar end shifters on flared drops does create a few width problems on narrow trails and the ability to down shift everytime you whack a branch with the bars.

You could always see if you can get some Pauls Thumbies brackets to fit your bars of choice.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Crosscheck and CX shifter quandary-bar end or DT’ is closed to new replies.